Anyone else concerned about Mercer? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anyone else concerned about Mercer?

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Many posts reflecting the very attitude the team took into the Arizona game, hopefully the team has learned more than some fans. Mercer may or may not be a threat but teams who decide who to respect before the game begins usually wind up eventually regretting it.
The fans aren’t the team. With the sting of the Arizona loss still fresh in the minds of everyone that’s back from last year, I’m sure the players are aware that no team can be taken lightly.

“Embarrassed, disappointed in ourselves for not playing UConn basketball,” Evina Westbrook said postgame. “Embarrassed for our alumni and our fans having to watch us play like that.”

I think personally, we just didn’t come out with the same fire that we had against Baylor,” Westbrook said. “At this point of the season, we have to come out like we’re playing the best in the nation every night and that’s not how we came out.”

“I think we came out with the wrong mentality,” Christyn Williams admitted. “
I thought we thought it was going to be easy, I guess, and we got flustered.”

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Many posts reflecting the very attitude the team took into the Arizona game, hopefully the team has learned more than some fans. Mercer may or may not be a threat but teams who decide who to respect before the game begins usually wind up eventually regretting it.
Very true. This is the last round-up. You lose, your season is finished. There are no second chances, no do-overs. If a team is worthy enough to be scheduled to play you, they are worthy enough to be respected.

From this point forward every team in the tournament would be best served adopting the mindset of respecting everyone, fearing no one. I’m envious of the mindset and approach that Louisville, South Carolina, Georgia Tech, Oregon, and Villanova had going into their game with us.

All of these teams played with a “no fear” attitude. They played their game and believed they could win, and they did.

Please note that there were no undefeated teams in Division 1 WCBB this season. Every team lost at least 2 games. Even the Goliath (South Carolina ) among the top 25 swallowed that bitter pill twice. Everyone can be beaten!!

Another poster made the observation that we were beaten by two teams in the last two years that we took for granted. Hopefully we have learned from those mistakes. UConn lost 5 times this year. There is no way we can think we're invincible.

Carnac

Reaction Score
Oh man, if Mercer goes on a little run the BY Chat Room will be apoplectic.
Then I guess they can't let that happen. The chat room has high standards that it expects team UConn to meet. They will except nothing less, nor should they.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The fans aren’t the team. With the sting of the Arizona loss still fresh in the minds of everyone that’s back from last year, I’m sure the players are aware that no team can be taken lightly.

“Embarrassed, disappointed in ourselves for not playing UConn basketball,” Evina Westbrook said postgame. “Embarrassed for our alumni and our fans having to watch us play like that.”

I think personally, we just didn’t come out with the same fire that we had against Baylor,” Westbrook said. “At this point of the season, we have to come out like we’re playing the best in the nation every night and that’s not how we came out.”

Nan, I was composing my comment at the same time you were writing yours. We said basically said the same thing.

Reaction Score
I trust in the Team's collective comments... 1 game at a time, one team at a time... win and play on! Geno will NOT let them look ahead... if he sees less than UCONN-TYPE play from one or more players, he has the bench to replace them.
I think Geno may also get them to believe each team the play are better then they really are for up until the elite 8. Then they will be "really really good "(to sound like Geno)

Reaction Score
NO! Bring on victim NO.4. 5 more to go. This is UCONN's year that will be talked about for years as the start of a new dynasty in Women's Basketball. GO HUSKIES!!!

Reaction Score
The only Mercer I'd be afraid of is if I'm a pitcher and I'm facing Bobby Mercer.:)
... and even then, mostly when facing Murcer in a park with a short right field fence.

Reaction Score
Whether or not Mercer stands any realistic shot I've got to applaud any team that puts forth the hustle and effort that produces the record they put up. I wouldn't mind seeing a few of their fans show up here and I bet those doing a bit of good natured trash talking now would be much more respectful to their faces.

Reaction Score
Always. These tournaments can flip in a second if you over look a team and give them any type of edge. Any type of motivational advantage. We can not over look any team.

Reaction Score
No one knows what attitude the team took regarding AZ. We only know what we fans did.
No, we know what the players, especially Williams, made very clear after the game, they took them lightly and they paid dearly.

As I said, hopefully the team learned from last year’s mistake.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
This will be a tough game I think we should keep paige out until the final four if we make it.
LOL, clearly you jest. Paige has to be completely set to go by the Sweet 16. In an article in "The Athletic" written by Chantel Jennings, she predicts Indiana will be in the Final 4, besting us and NCST. They are an excellent team and we have to be ready, which includes a return to normal of our POY Point Guard.

Reaction Score
I think bringing up the Arizona game and the attitude going into that game is a great thing. Light the fire in each of them to remember how It felt and how they still have unfinished business. No letdowns everybody eats.

Reaction Score
To me, it's no longer about who we play but rather how we play. If we play to our potential, which by the way is changing every game, no one will beat us. We have to start energetically, not tentatively, and play UCONN defense.

Of course, you have to have a game plan, you have to have a strategy for both ends of the court, but really, at this point, It's more about us than them.

Carnac

Reaction Score
The certain faction in the chat room is apoplectic regardless. If we aren't up by 40 at halftime the sky will fall.
I’m in the chat room for every game the whole game. You’ve got a witness. :cool:

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
all this hooey aboot 'remember the alamo!' and such.
this game was over as soon as they announced it. period.

hey whiners! get ready, or not. doesn't matter.
doorbell rings at the house where the other 63 live. who is it?

Spiker-Header.png

it's us, we're hungry, so get out of the way. we came to eat.
for whom the bell tolls.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
Mercer did not give up more than 70 points in any game this year.
They lost to Georgia by 15 points early in the year (52-67)
#1, their pg and leader in scoring is their best player. Her name is Amoria Neal-Tysor
However, they dont share the ball very well, average 12.1 apg
They only turn the ball over at 13.4 pg
They do not shoot many three's , in fact they are 345th out of 356 teams for # of 3 point shots attempted, per game, in D1.
They wear uniforms similar to Tennessee.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom