Anyone been to Honduras? | The Boneyard

Anyone been to Honduras?

Reaction Score
So, living in Guatemala, a natural vacation spot for summer vacation would be Honduras, the only country my wife and I have yet to visit in the region (well, Costa Rica too).

We would only have 10 to 12 days, most likely and would be thinking of visiting Copan first. I am 100% into ruins and even though it is not supposed to be as amazing as Tikal, it is supposed to be a pleasant area in general with plenty of other things to do.

Lake Yojoa, Pico Bonito and Cusuco also seem like wonderful places to enjoy natural beauty, which is a highlight of any trip I take, checking out nature.

I am not totally sold on Comayagua but have heard from several people/co-workers/friends from Honduras that it is nice.

After that, the plan is to end up in the Bay Islands area to visit Roatan and/0r (perhaps) Utila.

I have considered La Ceiba/Cayos Cochinos but I think with limited time, that is pushing it a little. In fact, I would likely cut out at least 1 of the 3 places of natural beauty as well (likely Cusuco).

So in the end what I am thinking is Copan, 2 of the following: Lake Yojoa, Pico Bonito, Cusuco, next would be Roatan and/or Utila, fly from Tegucigalpa (if there is time maybe leave the city to check out Comayagua). Any way, for those who have been, what do you think? Trying to pack too much in?

Would you recommend any other location? I will be avoiding San Pedro Sula and will only consider Tegucigalpa as a means to potentially check out nearby Comayagua and to fly out of Honduras to the next destination: Mexico City and to see some of the nicer villages around Mexico for two weeks or so.

Last edited:

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
I'm not going to recommend it as high culture or "the Venice of Mexico", but Xochimilco is a fun and goofy way to spend a couple hours. It's a short drive outside Mexico City. You and your travel partner board a gondola and traverse the canals. Nothing to see really, but other gondolas pull up and make you tacos and serve you beer. It's like visiting a food truck park on water.
Xochimilco.jpg

Reaction Score
Ha! Sounds like a blast. My wives friend would dig that I think. Reminds me of the time I went tubing with them in Semuc Champey (well, the river just below it) and these sales guys would come over offering you a beer as you tubed down the river.

Always down for fun and goofy and a little out there! Thanks.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Funny thing is my memory of Xochimilco is not so much the canals, although fun, it was that I had a rental car and lost my keys somewhere on the water. Once they figured out my Connecticut-accented Spanish wasn't saying "car wash" or "car rain" but "car key" the kind folks identified some guy who could help. Two hours later I had a key and highly scratched up steering column. Cost me 20 pesos (about $6.50 back then). And this was on a Sunday morning. You can't get that kind of service in New York City.

Reaction Score
I'm not going to recommend it as high culture or "the Venice of Mexico", but Xochimilco is a fun and goofy way to spend a couple hours. It's a short drive outside Mexico City. You and your travel partner board a gondola and traverse the canals. Nothing to see really, but other gondolas pull up and make you tacos and serve you beer. It's like visiting a food truck park on water.
Xochimilco.jpg
Was just there less than a month ago, my vids are too large to post. It's actually a part of Mexico City.

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
Was just there less than a month ago, my vids are too large to post. It's actually a part of Mexico City.

Yeah. Mexico City is larger than Rhode Island. In Xochimilco, you'd have no idea you were still in Mexico City. It's like if Providence was city center, Xoch is Newport.

Reaction Score
Yeah. Mexico City is larger than Rhode Island. In Xochimilco, you'd have no idea you were still in Mexico City. It's like if Providence was city center, Xoch is Newport.
It's huge. We took an uber down and it was way further than I thought it would be. After the boat ride our uber driver was still waiting around. I gave him some cash and told him we wanted to stay in the area and were going to walk to get lunch. We saw all these restaurants and food stands coming in so we thought there would be tons of options....Well we walked in the wrong direction, it was a one lane road and we kept waiting for a cross street to turn in and there never was one....We walked about three miles until we were getting antsy to get the heck out of there. Luckily a cab comes along, 170 pesos for a 120 minute drive back to Roma. It's so cheap down there.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I've been to Roatan as part of a cruise. We joined a pair of couples and rented an ex-pat to drive us around the island for the day. The drivers have deals with various beach clubs, the beaches were pretty nice. I know they had an iguana park and a nature park where we had monkeys climbing all over us. I will note that the driver was packing and the convenience store had an armed guard, seemed like there was an element of martial law there. The driver also took us to a restaurant where they served "authentic" food, which was pretty good. We had crappy weather but it was still a good time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom