Anybody read the grantland feature on PC's tournament loss? | The Boneyard

Anybody read the grantland feature on PC's tournament loss?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I thought it was really interesting, the writer - Jordan Ritter Conn - takes you through the entire week of preparation. It seemed like the Providence coaches gave him access that most coaches would be uncomfortable giving a reporter...he comments on their game plan, Cooley's post-game reflection, and a bunch of other stuff that typically stays in the locker-room.

http://grantland.com/features/provi...ament-upset-ed-cooley-kris-dunn-god-shammgod/

Reaction Score
I thought it was really interesting, the writer - Jordan Ritter Conn - takes you through the entire week of preparation. It seemed like the Providence coaches gave him access that most coaches would be uncomfortable giving a reporter...he comments on their game plan, Cooley's post-game reflection, and a bunch of other stuff that typically stays in the locker-room.

http://grantland.com/features/provi...ament-upset-ed-cooley-kris-dunn-god-shammgod/
That was a really great article.

Also, I forgot how awesome God Shamgod was with the ball. Crazy to hear those NBA guys talk about him with such reverence, considering he never had much of an NBA career.

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
Entertaining piece. A little heavy on the injustice of playing in Ohio.
And the thing about only two days to prepare? Guess what -- if you'd won, you'd have the same amount of time to prepare for your next game.

Reaction Score
I couldn't believe how badly outcoached Cooley was in that game and now we know why. “Honestly,” he says, “I don’t see a need for X-and-O adjustments. Our game plan is working. It’s not our defense. It’s our offense.”

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
huskiesnyc said:
I couldn't believe how badly outcoached Cooley was in that game and now we know why. “Honestly,” he says, “I don’t see a need for X-and-O adjustments. Our game plan is working. It’s not our defense. It’s our offense.”

Great guy. Good recruiter. Bad Coach.

Reaction Score
I hate Grantland, self important s, but I'll give it to them on this, its was a nice piece. We'll see how Cooley evolves as a coach.

Reaction Score
I hate Grantland, self important s, but I'll give it to them on this, its was a nice piece. We'll see how Cooley evolves as a coach.
Their basketball stuff--particularly Zach Lowe--is top notch. A nice mix of seeing the subtlety of the game with advanced metrics.

Reaction Score
Any recruit we go against PC for should be shown this:

“Honestly,” he says, “I don’t see a need for X-and-O adjustments. Our game plan is working. It’s not our defense. It’s our offense.”

Followed by this:

At first, Cooley’s speech seems like it might work. Providence’s first possession is crisp. Desrosiers gets a touch, holds the ball with confidence, and hits Lindsey for a 3. Tie game. But that’s it. Dayton begins to find gaps in the corners of the Friars’ zone, and with a little more than 10 minutes left to play, the Flyers extend their lead to nine with back-to-back 3s. In a game where scoring has seemed, at times, impossible, Dayton’s nine-point lead looks insurmountable.

Then show them one shining moment from 2014.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I can't get around that a guy whose last name is Conn and who has the first and last initials JC, is doing a piece on PC. Just love it. Enjoyed the article.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I thought it was a great article and it had a happy ending.

Two thumbs up.

I like Ed Cooley and I don't think Providence can do better than him, but the article solved one puzzle....Providence is so up and down which might be explained by Cooley being somewhat of an indecisive sort.

Plus, that assistant coach...kinda Debby Downer, ain't he?

caw

Reaction Score
I was kind of shocked at how unprepared Cooley was for his first round opponent. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not about knowing nothing about either team when the seedlings were announced.

JC wasn't perfect in first rounds but ISU was the only one the team was unprepared for (I give him a pass for SD because of AJs injury in game). I get it was short notice prep but Dayton was under similar constraints (while actually having to play).

Not to mention that doesn't exactly bode well for a second round game, if they ever win a first round game. That said, maybe he prescribes to the Izzo philosophy of "get me through day one and I'll get you through day two."

Reaction Score
I was kind of shocked at how unprepared Cooley was for his first round opponent. I couldn't tell if he was serious or not about knowing nothing about either team when the seedlings were announced.

JC wasn't perfect in first rounds but ISU was the only one the team was unprepared for (I give him a pass for SD because of AJs injury in game). I get it was short notice prep but Dayton was under similar constraints (while actually having to play).

Not to mention that doesn't exactly bode well for a second round game, if they ever win a first round game. That said, maybe he prescribes to the Izzo philosophy of "get me through day one and I'll get you through day two."

Cooley not knowing is one thing, but you'd think somebody on the staff might have a handle on them (I thought it was interesting when one of the coaches, on Boise, said, "I had them." Don't they hire advance scouts for situations like those?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Dayton is a good team
PeeCee lost because Dayton was better
End of story
Move on

Reaction Score
That was a really great article.

Also, I forgot how awesome God Shamgod was with the ball. Crazy to hear those NBA guys talk about him with such reverence, considering he never had much of an NBA career.

Was at the 95 McDonalds AA game. Shamgod was playing with Marbury, Garnett, Pierce, Billups, VCarter, Jamison, RMercer and yes Wayne Turner. Garnett was the best player on the floor (he was incredible) but Shamgod and his ball handling really stood out. I thought at the time he was something special.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky

Top Bottom