Anybody blow out an ACL? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anybody blow out an ACL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Blew mine out multiple times in the 80's playing hoops, finally got the meniscus done in 92 and they told me the insides looked like a spiral ham. No ACL left at all. I can walk in a straight line and it's mainly pain-free so I'm not getting it done.

A honey ham or a cheap one?

Reaction Score
Soccer in 10th grade playing in the rain on a soaked grass field. Tried to make pivot on my left leg to mark a fullback on the other team making a cut from the rear towards my team's goal. Cleats got stuck in the mud, heard a pop, went down and just thought to myself that this was going to hurt. ACL surgery was a bitch back in the late 80's. Was still able to play; but not as fast, so I just did rehab and strength training. It sort of healed. Was told by my doc a few years back that 'you know, you are supposed to have cartilage in your knee and your ACL should not look like string cheese.' Whoops. At least it's great for detecting thunderstorms.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
TRest said:
Blew mine out multiple times in the 80's playing hoops, finally got the meniscus done in 92 and they told me the insides looked like a spiral ham. No ACL left at all. I can walk in a straight line and it's mainly pain-free so I'm not getting it done.
fleudslipcon said:
Really stinks. Best of luck on the surgery and a quick recovery. One advice I can give is that eating lots of turkey reduces post surgical swelling. Fishy should merge this thread with the Thanksgiving turkey thread.

Now these are prime examples of old school quality boneyardin'.

Reaction Score
Are they going to dry age the replacement ligament from the cadaver? Apparently, that makes all the difference.

August_West

Reaction Score
Deepster said:
Are they going to dry age the replacement ligament from the cadaver? Apparently, that makes all the difference.

Nah I think that need to baste it and slave over it for 36 hours just like cooking the poverty bird at thanksgiving. Problem is that just like with turkey, after all that work they still really don't come up with a usable ACL.

Reaction Score
Total rupture of mine from... Get this..... Playing ping pong. The pop was loud and sickening. I am scheduled for replacement from a cadaver in early January. I have been in physical therapy ( they call it "prehab" ) for last month to get range of motion back to give best chance of good recovery.

Anyone have any experience with this? I know there are a lot of physically active people here, someone has to have done this. The info I have looked up is all over the map.
What can I expect for post op pain and rehab?
It's been a crappy 6 weeks since I did it, but PT has it strong enough where I walk on it fairly normally without a brace or aid, but it will totally buckle at random times.

Dreading surgery but looking forward to having it fixed.

My son tore his at 21 and waited two years to have it done. Replaced with some hamstring rather than cadaver...he will be active for years and Doc suggested the hamstring. He also had a meniscus tear which is quite common. He had the surgery 8/6/13 and has been running for a quite sometime. Not doing any twisting or cutting moves until he goes back to Doc for a brace.

He had a lot of swelling, the ice machine really worked well. He was in PT until mid November...major progress the last month. Pain wasn't too bad, he got off the meds within a week, crutches for awhile. As others have said, push yourself and it'll be fine....especially in the beginning, you have to get ROM or it'll heal bent. Good luck!

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Did both of mine in early 90s. Patellar tendon graft was the choice by my surgeon Schutzer. Other than minor tendinitis due to the graft removal, I've not had any problems (knocking on wood right now). Ice and Alleve were and now are still my best friends.

Reaction Score
Total rupture of mine from... Get this..... Playing ping pong. The pop was loud and sickening. I am scheduled for replacement from a cadaver in early January. I have been in physical therapy ( they call it "prehab" ) for last month to get range of motion back to give best chance of good recovery.

Anyone have any experience with this? I know there are a lot of physically active people here, someone has to have done this. The info I have looked up is all over the map.
It's been a crappy 6 weeks since I did it, but PT has it strong enough where I walk on it fairly normally without a brace or aid, but it will totally buckle at random times.

Good luck. The surgery is miserable and you'll be the same for a few days but in the end it will be as good as new.

Reaction Score
No, but I'm sure it hurts like a b*tch, must feel like this

giphy.gif

Dogbreath2U

RIP, DB2U
Reaction Score
Nah I think that need to baste it and slave over it for 36 hours just like cooking the poverty bird at thanksgiving. Problem is that just like with turkey, after all that work they still really don't come up with a usable ACL.

Obviously, the key here is BRINING the cadaver ACL.

Reaction Score
I completely blew out my ACL in 1997 playing softball. It was an evening game in the fall and I slipped on an unexpected wet and slippery home plate. My leg was extend and the knee locked and when my cleat slid off the rubber and hit dirt it was all over. I had no swelling and actually contemplated going back into the game, but thought better of it. Like you I tried walking on it but it would buckle when going down steps or making turns. I was not told about other options to the Patellar tendon graft procedure. I think a cadaver tendon makes way more sense. I don't regret the surgery as what other choice did I have when the knee was so unstable. I also think the most important consideration you can make is to have a good surgeon. I have never fully recovered. I didn't do my research and feel I chose badly. My knee never regained full strength despite my best efforts in the weight room , years of cycling and other active sports. The knee never felt 100% stable. I have been an avid cyclist over the years and I have compensated for the weakness in one leg by working the other leg harder. Now at age 52 my "good" leg has begun to bother me more than the weaker leg. I was warned that I could get nerve damage from the surgery. Sure enough I did. The lower outer edge of the knee was numb for many years and for some reason the feeling returned a couple of years ago. I also get a weird feeling in my knee that drives me crazy. It feels like when a doctor taps your knee below the knee cap with the rubber hammer to check your reflex, only the reflex feeling continues for hours non stop. Doesn't happen very often but last night it was at it again. The surgeon did do a nice job stitching the incision and the scar is hardly noticeable. I also applied vitamin E to the incision to minimize the scarring.

I say go for it and wish you success.

August_West

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the feedback and information , I've learned a lot from just hearing everyone's real experiences. I also appreciate the left turns into humor here as well. Gotta love the 'yard.

Reaction Score
Thanks everyone I really appreciate all the feedback and information , I've learned a lot from just hearing everyone's real experiences. I also appreciate the left turns into humor here as well. Gotta love the 'yard.

Good luck....if you decide on the surgery, one last piece of advice on the PT....don't judge your progress week to week....when you get frustrated (and you will) look back where you were a few weeks before so you can notice the progress you are making...it's really not that bad a procedure.

Reaction Score
Did mine in 2004,age 47 playing hoop. A good therapist will be really pushing you post op. Your ROM will be zero or close to it. It will involve good effort on your part to get it back. Since you are ten toes in no problem. Good luck.

Reaction Score

I've blown out my ACL twice. The first time, I had a graft from my patella. The second time, I had the cadaver transplant. It's been a year now, and I have to say that this time around, the ACL feels MUCH more stable. The recovery/ rehab sucks, but you'll be glad you did it in the long run.

Good luck!

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

I forgot to add...Don't be a hero or martyr. Post op is going to be painful and you'll have little to no range of motion. I was put on an ROM machine almost immediately after I was transferred from the recovery room to my hospital bed. Take the drugs the doctors and nurses prescribe and let them know immediately if they aren't working (The ROM machine is good for that...;)). Also make sure you have some painkillers in your system when they rip out the fluid drainage tube. I didn't and they "removed" the tube at 6:30 in the morning following my surgery. It was almost as painful as the original injury.

Secondly, if physical therapy isn't at least achy, you aren't doing it right, No pain, no gain, right? In time your good leg will be in worse shape than your repaired leg.

Finally, from the time you reach the recovery room until the swelling completely goes away, ice (and elevation of the joint above your heart) is your friend.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom