Any word on Defensive side coaches ? | The Boneyard

Any word on Defensive side coaches ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
any rumors out there? I gave up reading the long one. Is it me or did it seem like we still had some big holes on defense coaches.

Reaction Score
Nothing yet in the twitter-verse....this week we'll know the rest

Reaction Score
Don't forget the rumor of NCU DC Zach Shay joining Coach D's staff. http://www.greeleytribune.com/sports/9335175-113/shay-defensive-coordinator-university

He also has a connection to Ernest Jones from Alcorn State years ago.

Along with playing for Iowa this little snippet gives him a connection to QB Coach Patterson? Don't know if the years overlap.

Edit: Apparently Shay was a student at Western Illinois while Patterson was HC.

Double edit: Looks like a Cummnigs, or at least CMU connection....

He began his coaching career as a defensive graduate assistant at Georgia (2003-04) and also had stops at Western Illinois University, St. Joseph’s College (Ind.) and at Central Michigan.

Shay earned his undergraduate degree from Iowa in 1998 and his master’s in sports management from Western Illinois University in 2001.

This will go over like a fart in church should he be the DC, which I'm guessing he will be.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
You'd have to be blind if you don't see a pattern here. HCBD has chosen the 6 degrees of separation coaching staff. Experience, success, common bonds, recruiting ability and head coaching experience.

A team that can work as a team. I like it. I have no doubt he had advice from Mr Kelley at ND as well.

I can moan about the unknown or I can be hopeful for the future. Not hard to guess my choice.

One thing I do know...it can not, I repeat, can not be worse that 2013. Quote me if you like.

Reaction Score
Along with playing for Iowa this little snippet gives him a connection to QB Coach Patterson? Don't know if the years overlap.

Edit: Apparently Shay was a student at Western Illinois while Patterson was HC.

Double edit: Looks like a Cummnigs, or at least CMU connection....
He began his coaching career as a defensive graduate assistant at Georgia (2003-04) and also had stops at Western Illinois University, St. Joseph’s College (Ind.) and at Central Michigan.

Shay earned his undergraduate degree from Iowa in 1998 and his master’s in sports management from Western Illinois University in 2001.

This will go over like a fart in church should he be the DC, which I'm guessing he will be.

Not sure about being the DC - he doesn't have the "3 years NFL playing experience" preferred qualifications or 10 years FBS coaching experience from the posted job description. They have been spot on so far. My guess is secondary coach.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Shay's 1st year 0-11
Shay's 2nd year 5-6
Shay's 3rd year 1-11

None of his recruits in a bad program. NCU looks to be a perennial bad football team.

Reaction Score
Not sure about being the DC - he doesn't have the "3 years NFL playing experience" preferred qualifications from the posted job description. They have been spot on so far. My guess is secondary coach.

I have to believe you are right. He really doesn't have the credentials for a DC. But, you know me, trying to find the good. :cool:

Reaction Score
Shay's 1st year 0-11
Shay's 2nd year 5-6
Shay's 3rd year 1-11

None of his recruits in a bad program. NCU looks to be a perennial bad football team.
If I'm not mistaken, NCU beat New Haven for the D2 National Title in the nineties. They were a power house back then. I know a few dudes of that UNH team, if NCU was the team, I remember them telling me about a DEnd they had that went on to the NFL that was rag dolling their Olinemen. I camped at UNH during those days, their Oline was HUGE.

Has nothing to do with out coaching hire, but I thought I'd share anyways.

Reaction Score
If I'm not mistaken, NCU beat New Haven for the D2 National Title in the nineties. They were a power house back then. I know a few dudes of that UNH team, if NCU was the team, I remember them telling me about a DEnd they had that went on to the NFL that was rag dolling their Olinemen. I camped at UNH during those days, their Oline was HUGE.

Has nothing to do with out coaching hire, but I thought I'd share anyways.

100% correct - thumped Tony Sparano's 1997 team 51-0.

Reaction Score
100% correct - thumped Tony Sparano's 1997 team 51-0.
Do you remember the De nd? He went on to play for the steelers. Was good too. Just can't remember his name. One of the guys on the UNH team told me they all thought he was on the juice heavy. Had nasty ass body hair everywhere, but he later shaved his arms when he was on the steelers. Aaron Smith maybe.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pretty sure that Diaco ran some solid defenses... he's not just going to turn over the reigns to any ol bum, and he's certainly going to implement his defensive philosophy. Wouldn't sweat it one bit. Not yet, anyway.

Reaction Score
Do you remember the De nd? He went on to play for the steelers. Was good too. Just can't remember his name. One of the guys on the UNH team told me they all thought he was on the juice heavy. Had nasty ass body hair everywhere, but he later shaved his arms when he was on the steelers. Aaron Smith maybe.
Looks like this is him:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aaron_Smith_(American_football)

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
Well, my self-made Todd Orlando rumor made it all the way to the New Haven Register's Malafronte, so I'm feeling like I gave it enough legs to begin the talks between agents, etc. C'mon back home, Todd! ;)

Reaction Score
Its been years since I heard that story but remember it well. Football roots run deep on this board.

Reaction Score
Well, my self-made Todd Orlando rumor made it all the way to the New Haven Register's Malafronte, so I'm feeling like I gave it enough legs to begin the talks between agents, etc. C'mon back home, Todd! ;)

Yeah, but Chip's a hockey writer now. :cool: Didn't see his tweets have anything. Link?

Reaction Score

That's him...

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
Yeah, but Chip's a hockey writer now. :cool: Didn't see his tweets have anything. Link?

This is courtesy of Huskymedic (who else? ;)):

NHR Chip Malafronte agrees - from today's Sunday Gravy column:
>> • Bob Diaco is surely well into the process of filling out his UConn football coaching staff — only offensive line coach Mike Foley was retained from the old regime. Might Todd Orlando, a 12-year assistant in Storrs under Randy Edsall, be interested in returning? He finished his first season at Utah State in style by clamping down on Northern Illinois and its Heisman Trophy finalist quarterback, Jordan Lynch, in Thursday’s Poinsetta Bowl. Orlando did magnificent work during his six seasons at the head of UConn’s defense, and would be a welcome addition.<<

Reaction Score
This is courtesy of Huskymedic (who else? ;)):

NHR Chip Malafronte agrees - from today's Sunday Gravy column:
>> • Bob Diaco is surely well into the process of filling out his UConn football coaching staff — only offensive line coach Mike Foley was retained from the old regime. Might Todd Orlando, a 12-year assistant in Storrs under Randy Edsall, be interested in returning? He finished his first season at Utah State in style by clamping down on Northern Illinois and its Heisman Trophy finalist quarterback, Jordan Lynch, in Thursday’s Poinsetta Bowl. Orlando did magnificent work during his six seasons at the head of UConn’s defense, and would be a welcome addition. My source, UConnDan97 says it's a strong possibility<<

Fixed it. :)

Reaction Score
Okay - back to the OP Topic @ hand. Unconfirmed rumor that ND GA Josh Reardon is also joining Coach D's staff as possibly DB Coach. His previous recruiting areas were Indiana, Michigan, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota.

Part of a Q/A I read from Blue/Gold Illustrated but can't post due to forbidden link gives a bit of insight into JR:

• Blue & Gold: What was it like walking back through the door and working with Brian Kelly, Bob Diaco, Mike Elston and Paul Longo again after your first stint with them in the same capacity at Central Michigan back in 2006-07?
Josh Reardon: They’re the same people, I can tell you that. I think everyone has grown as football coaches. You don’t get to this point without continuing to grow. As far as a working relationship goes, they are the same guys. We have a really great relationship and we have a good time. They’re fun guys to work with.​
  • B&G: How did you end up here after four years as outside linebackers coach at Holy Cross (FCS)?
Reardon: I’ve always stayed in touch with Coach Elston and Coach Diaco. Coach Kelly is incredibly busy, so I was never going to call him and say, ‘hey, what’s up? It’s Josh Reardon.’ Let me preface that by saying that I always genuinely felt if I never needed something, I could pick up the phone and call him.​

I always felt like I had a good relationship with those guys. When you talk about mentors, they were my introduction to [coaching] college football. I stayed in touch with those guys and an opportunity arose where there was a need for a GA.​

It’s Notre Dame. I had an opportunity to get back on a staff with guys I generally respect and are your mentors and good people. It was kind of a no-brainer.​

Last edited:

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
My one and only recollection of anything to do with Northern Colorado is not a positive one. It's the story where the backup punter stabbed his rival punter in the leg and got arrested:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2585781

Sorry for the tangent. I'll get back on the topic after this post...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom