Any update on Shirreff's status for St. Pete? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Any update on Shirreff's status for St. Pete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If he is 100% then he should play. If there is any lingering doubt then he should definitely sit. A win is obviously important for the team, but I wouldn't be worrying about national perception of UCONN's Program should you win or lose. Outside of the playoff, the only people that remember the results of these bowl games are the fans of the schools playing in them. Hell I watched 3 games yesterday, and outside of BYU versus Utah, I can't even remember who played in them let alone won them.

Reaction Score
John Green is entitled to his opinion. I'll go with the determination of Bryant's team doctor personal physician and family. He will definitely play. And John, do you truly feel this is a meaningless game, or were you drinking when you said that? This is one of the most important games in 5 years. BTW, as for your comments about folks shopping, the expectation is that this will be one of the highest rated bowl games on ESPN. An Exec mentioned that ESPN morning viewers will likely morph into the game at 11am. Next Bowl game is not until 2pm on CBS.

I hope you are correct about the interest in this game. I will be watching at 10 AM central but do not see this as a compelling game for many fans not associated with the two schools.

As far as meaningless is concerned I have come around to the opinion that very few bowl games have much value other than giving the teams extra practice and if the locale is good (and it is in this case) a nice trip for the teams. Just my opinion, but I believe the days when several bowls might be important because they had the potential to change the national champ scene are over. The play off has diminished the importance of all other bowls. All other bowls should be treated like the NFL exhibition season.

Be glad you had the extra time to practice, let the kids enjoy the sun and surf, and look forward to next year with a guaranteed healthy starting QB.

Reaction Score
If your point is that he shouldn't play anymore, you are probably right. We all know that football isn't good for you.

But if he is going to make the choice to play and he is cleared, he should play the bowl game. He is our starter and it isn't close. The only way she shouldn't play if he is cleared is if he does like CC and hangs it up.

No my point is not that he should not play any more. For all I know he may never have another hit that causes a problem as long as he plays the game. It is that he should not play in this game. The CC example you mention is part of the reason I feel this way.

Reaction Score
No my point is not that he should not play any more. For all I know he may never have another hit that causes a problem as long as he plays the game. It is that he should not play in this game. The CC example you mention is part of the reason I fell this way.

You do realize that there are kids behind him. BS has been good, but he isn't Dan O. Most of us expect (and some of us hope) that Davis beats him out next year.

BS earned this bowl game. Let him play in it. If he skips it and never starts another game because Davis is better it will haunt him.

Reaction Score
I will add that if they come out tomorrow and say that BS is healthy but they choose not to play him - there is a very good chance I cancel my flight/hotel and stay home. If Boyle was ANY good, I might agree with you. But the team is nearly unwatchable with Boyle under center.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I agree that if a player is cleared he is should be able to play.

Done. End of discussion. I don't have to continue...but I will.

I just don't think that I would take a chance of a second happening in this game. Especially if, as you state, he is more likely to have a second after having had one. There is a reason QB's wear different colored shirts at practice.

Why not? It's not an exhibition game as you say. Exhibitions don't count in the final record. The Patriots are not 14-4 right now because the NFL preseason season are warm up games with a marketing plan. They are played at the beginning of the season for the sole purpose of talent evaluation. Bowl games are played at the end of the season. and while they might be a reward for a "successful" season, they still counts in the final record.

92.5% of bowl games have never meant anything to anyone except the participants and the host city, especially in the BC/BA/BCS/CFP era. Even before 1992, the only games that mattered to anyone were the games involving the #1, #2, teams (and maybe 3) and the Rose Bowl, which were always played on New Years Day.

Reaction Score
I hope you are correct about the interest in this game. I will be watching at 10 AM central but do not see this as a compelling game for many fans not associated with the two schools.

As far as meaningless is concerned I have come around to the opinion that very few bowl games have much value other than giving the teams extra practice and if the locale is good (and it is in this case) a nice trip for the teams. Just my opinion, but I believe the days when several bowls might be important because they had the potential to change the national champ scene are over. The play off has diminished the importance of all other bowls. All other bowls should be treated like the NFL exhibition season.

Be glad you had the extra time to practice, let the kids enjoy the sun and surf, and look forward to next year with a guaranteed healthy starting QB.

Lets be honest with ourselves. This game is not attracting a national audience, especially at 8:00 on the west coast, the day after Christmas. We can't even get 2000 UConn fans to travel to the game. Its not a very compelling matchup. I wonder if we'll ever see shots of crowd attendance.

None of us are medical experts as to the likelihood of another concussion. If he does play, UConn's offensive scheme will be as vanilla as when TB played against Temple........run, run, run.

Do you really think the coaches will put BS in situations where he could be banged around because of our very porous offensive line, and/or on scramble plays. It will be more line take the snap, hand it off quickly, and get out of the way.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
Done. End of discussion. I don't have to continue...but I will.

Why not? It's not an exhibition game as you say. Exhibitions don't count in the final record. The Patriots are not 14-4 right now because the NFL preseason season are warm up games with a marketing plan. They are played at the beginning of the season for the sole purpose of talent evaluation. Bowl games are played at the end of the season. and while they might be a reward for a "successful" season, they still counts in the final record.

92.5% of bowl games have never meant anything to anyone except the participants and the host city, especially in the BC/BA/BCS/CFP era. Even before 1992, the only games that mattered to anyone were the games involving the #1, #2, teams (and maybe 3) and the Rose Bowl, which were always played on New Years Day.

I would guess that all UConn fans can name all the bowl games we have been in and can roughly tell you the score. Do you think that would be true if they were considered to be "exhibition games"?

Bowl games are special, unique events that put a nice cap on a successful season. Nothing exhibition about them.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I would guess that all UConn fans can name all the bowl games we have been in and can roughly tell you the score. Do you think that would be true if they were considered to be "exhibition games"?

Bowl games are special, unique events that put a nice cap on a successful season. Nothing exhibition about them.

They are more than that really, they are the reason you place the regular season. Each Bowl game is the superbowl for those teams and those kids. They put in the effort specifically to get to a Bowl game. He's been cleared by the Doctors, so if he wants to play, he should play.

I fully understand any kid doing what Cochran did and walking away. That's different. But if Bryant is going to keep playing, there is no reason to miss this game, it is the highlight of the season.

Reaction Score
Lets be honest with ourselves. This game is not attracting a national audience, especially at 8:00 on the west coast, the day after Christmas. We can't even get 2000 UConn fans to travel to the game. Its not a very compelling matchup. I wonder if we'll ever see shots of crowd attendance.

None of us are medical experts as to the likelihood of another concussion. If he does play, UConn's offensive scheme will be as vanilla as when TB played against Temple...run, run, run.

Do you really think the coaches will put BS in situations where he could be banged around because of our very porous offensive line, and/or on scramble plays. It will be more line take the snap, hand it off quickly, and get out of the way.

He was cleared to play so he'll play, and he'll be full go. He wasn't cleared to play for Temple so he didn't play in that game. All this debate about how important this game is is meaningless.

Reaction Score
WOW!

Talk about some aggressive posts attacking what I thought was basically a common sense opinion. I guess beating a Conference USA team in front of maybe 15000 fans the day after Christmas is really important to some people.

Just for the record I don't think I ever called anyone an "idiot". My assumption is that HCBD does in fact have a full brain and therefore will act accordingly.
These Bowl games get pretty good TV viewers.
This game is huge.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
Agree / hope he's been working on his technique. The irony is that the injury occurred on a play where he was making his best slide of the year.
Beat me to the punch.

HuskiesFan1014

Mora excited than before.
Reaction Score
If HCBD has more than half a brain he will sit him out. Why risk a second hit to the head in two months in a meaningless game. The kid had his bell rung a month ago let him heal until spring. The team got the benefits of the extra practice days for being bowl eligible be satisfied with that, I know it would give the team a final 7-6 record but still don't think the risk is warranted.
Meaningless Game?
tumblr_inline_mwfp0bXsKg1qdwbr6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member