Any update on Shirreff's status for St. Pete? | The Boneyard

Any update on Shirreff's status for St. Pete?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If HCBD has more than half a brain he will sit him out. Why risk a second hit to the head in two months in a meaningless game. The kid had his bell rung a month ago let him heal until spring. The team got the benefits of the extra practice days for being bowl eligible be satisfied with that, I know it would give the team a final 7-6 record but still don't think the risk is warranted.

Reaction Score
If HCBD has more than half a brain he will sit him out. Why risk a second hit to the head in two months in a meaningless game. The kid had his bell rung a month ago let him heal until spring. The team got the benefits of the extra practice days for being bowl eligible be satisfied with that, I know it would give the team a final 7-6 record but still don't think the risk is warranted.

So would you mind explaining to those of us who are not doctors specializing in concussions how much different the risk of another concussion is 6 weeks after the first concussion a opposed to six months? Thank you Dr. Greene. (Which I assume must be the case because no one without that level of understanding would be bold enough to call someone else an "idiot" because he had medical information that didn't mesh with the uninformed opinion of a message board poster.)

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score

Meaningless game? Except for the game Shirreffs got hurt in, this Bowl game is probably the most meaningful game in terms of outside public perception in 5 years.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score

Completely disagree. I thought sitting him out for the Temple game was a smart move but we're now 6 weeks removed from the Houston game. We need to play to win this game...not approach it as a "just happy to be here" game. If we play Boyle and lose 30-0 on national TV, how will that help us for 2016? With BS, we have an offense that can move the ball and keep us in it. With TB, we have to play field position and keep our fingers crossed that our defense can pitch a shutout.

The doctors cleared him to practice and play. He's playing. He could get concussion 2 in his dorm room getting out of bed in the morning. He's earned the opportunity to start at QB in a bowl game and should be rewarded. Plus, our guys need to go down to St Pete believing we can win the game. Not playing BS sends a completely opposite message.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

I bet you were the one who told Chief we wanted to see his "briefs".

Reaction Score
So would you mind explaining to those of us who are not doctors specializing in concussions how much different the risk of another concussion is 6 weeks after the first concussion a opposed to six months? Thank you Dr. Greene. (Which I assume must be the case because no one without that level of understanding would be bold enough to call someone else an "idiot" because he had medical information that didn't mesh with the uninformed opinion of a message board poster.)
Not that I agree with the original post but do you really feel the medical community has proven to be conservative with regard to concussions. Just a few weeks ago at a rams game the NFL concussion expert who I assume is medically trained failed to watch a qb get knocked out and respond

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Not that I agree with the original post but do you really feel the medical community has proven to be conservative with regard to concussions. Just a few weeks ago at a rams game the NFL concussion expert who I assume is medically trained failed to watch a qb get knocked out and respond
UCONN has been very conservative. We wouldn't let Ty Meer Brown play, so he transferred to BC. I have the utmost faith in the conservative nature of UCONN's medical staff.

Reaction Score
WOW!

Talk about some aggressive posts attacking what I thought was basically a common sense opinion. I guess beating a Conference USA team in front of maybe 15000 fans the day after Christmas is really important to some people.

Just for the record I don't think I ever called anyone an "idiot". My assumption is that HCBD does in fact have a full brain and therefore will act accordingly.

Dooley

Done with U-con athletics
Reaction Score
Talk about some aggressive posts attacking what I thought was basically a common sense opinion. I guess beating a Conference USA team in front of maybe 15000 fans the day after Christmas is really important to some people.

To each is own, but I don't agree with you. I think this bowl game is important. It's an important spring board for OTP, Spring and Summer. Our SRs have never played for a team with a winning record and have been through a lot of garbage to get to this point. Plus, we're the only 11am game after Christmas and like Warde said, we will kick off the football day in front of a national audience. We need to look good in the game. The best way to look good in the game is if BS plays. If we start Boyle and can only muster up a garbage time FG to lose 28-3, then that crushes quite a bit of momentum that we have established all year.

And Marshall is pretty good. They were discussed as a potential NY6 bowl candidate earlier this year. If our players go into the game with the same thinking as you, we will definitely lose.

Reaction Score
UConn will get embarrassed on national TV if Shirreff's doesn't play. He needs to play. I don't want to see another offensive performance like we saw against Temple. Shirreffs needs to play, otherwise don'teven bother going. It will be a waste of the teams time, and the fans time and money. #Playtowin

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
WOW!

Just for the record I don't think I ever called anyone an "idiot". My assumption is that HCBD does in fact have a full brain and therefore will act accordingly.

Cut it out. You express what you should have known would be an unpopular opinion and are outraged when you are called out on it? Subsequent concusions are more likely than the previous no matter how long one waits. Spare us the faux outrage.

There is nothing synonymous with the Rams episode. Sherriffs was removed from the Houston game immediately. The Rams' O-lineman was literially picking the QB up almost against his will.

If Shirreffs is cleared, he should be able to play.

Reaction Score
To each is own, but I don't agree with you. I think this bowl game is important. It's an important spring board for OTP, Spring and Summer. Our SRs have never played for a team with a winning record and have been through a lot of garbage to get to this point. Plus, we're the only 11am game after Christmas and like Warde said, we will kick off the football day in front of a national audience. We need to look good in the game. The best way to look good in the game is if BS plays. If we start Boyle and can only muster up a garbage time FG to lose 28-3, then that crushes quite a bit of momentum that we have established all year.

And Marshall is pretty good. They were discussed as a potential NY6 bowl candidate earlier this year. If our players go into the game with the same thinking as you, we will definitely lose.

I guess we can agree to disagree. 11 AM Eastern on the day after Christmas is not exactly prime. Even in CT I would expect there to be about as many people at Westfarms and the Stamford Malls as are in front of their sets for the big Marshall game.

As far as the future is concerned I claim no knowledge about the likelihood of a second head injury after you had your first. If I had to bet however, I would bet on there being some increased probability but do not know that.

But, I think I do know that the number of head injuries a college player will be allowed is limited. In the current environment, I would guess the number is 2 or 3. If I am right then Sherriffs, after his first has had 1/3 or 1/2 of what he will be allowed before he is required to hang it up. I would therefore not want to see him either forced out or be put in a position where he would be 2/3 of the way out in this game. The same would be true for any game next year which was basically over with UConn leading. Get him out and give game reps to the backups.

Reaction Score
Cut it out. You express what you should have known would be an unpopular opinion and are outraged when you are called out on it? Subsequent concusions are more likely than the previous no matter how long one waits. Spare us the faux outrage.

There is nothing synonymous with the Rams episode. Sherriffs was removed from the Houston game immediately. The Rams' O-lineman was literially picking the QB up almost against his will.

I agree that if a player is cleared he is should be able to play. I just don't think that I would take a chance of a second happening in this game. Especially if, as you state, he is more likely to have a second after having had one. There is a reason QB's wear different colored shirts at practice.

Reaction Score
One thing should be for certain. When Sherriffs starts at the St. Pete Bowl he'll think twice about diving head first on a scramble. I would hope that he's been working on his slide technique and when to start it to avoid taking himself out of the game again.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

True for the information highlighted in red. But there is plenty of evidence out there that a longer recovery period does correlate to fewer follow-on concussions. I'll let you use Google to read for yourself.

Neither position on whether or not to play Shireffs is self-evident. Arguments can be made for both sides and they're both reasonable.

Me? I'd prefer him to play if he is cleared because it's obvious the UConn offense is completely inept and offensive without him in there and I'd like to see UConn win.

But if the staff holds him out, I'm not calling for anyone's head or screaming like a lunatic. I understand the rationale for not playing him.

Reaction Score
John Green is entitled to his opinion. I'll go with the determination of Bryant's team doctor personal physician and family. He will definitely play. And John, do you truly feel this is a meaningless game, or were you drinking when you said that? This is one of the most important games in 5 years. BTW, as for your comments about folks shopping, the expectation is that this will be one of the highest rated bowl games on ESPN. An Exec mentioned that ESPN morning viewers will likely morph into the game at 11am. Next Bowl game is not until 2pm on CBS.

Reaction Score
One thing should be for certain. When Sherriffs starts at the St. Pete Bowl he'll think twice about diving head first on a scramble. I would hope that he's been working on his slide technique and when to start it to avoid taking himself out of the game again.
Agree / hope he's been working on his technique. The irony is that the injury occurred on a play where he was making his best slide of the year.

Reaction Score
John Greene said:
I guess we can agree to disagree. 11 AM Eastern on the day after Christmas is not exactly prime. Even in CT I would expect there to be about as many people at Westfarms and the Stamford Malls as are in front of their sets for the big Marshall game. As far as the future is concerned I claim no knowledge about the likelihood of a second head injury after you had your first. If I had to bet however, I would bet on there being some increased probability but do not know that. But, I think I do know that the number of head injuries a college player will be allowed is limited. In the current environment, I would guess the number is 2 or 3. If I am right then Sherriffs, after his first has had 1/3 or 1/2 of what he will be allowed before he is required to hang it up. I would therefore not want to see him either forced out or be put in a position where he would be 2/3 of the way out in this game. The same would be true for any game next year which was basically over with UConn leading. Get him out and give game reps to the backups.

If your point is that he shouldn't play anymore, you are probably right. We all know that football isn't good for you.

But if he is going to make the choice to play and he is cleared, he should play the bowl game. He is our starter and it isn't close. The only way she shouldn't play if he is cleared is if he does like CC and hangs it up.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
John Green is entitled to his opinion. I'll go with the determination of Bryant's team doctor personal physician and family. He will definitely play. And John, do you truly feel this is a meaningless game, or were you drinking when you said that? This is one of the most important games in 5 years. BTW, as for your comments about folks shopping, the expectation is that this will be one of the highest rated bowl games on ESPN. An Exec mentioned that ESPN morning viewers will likely morph into the game at 11am. Next Bowl game is not until 2pm on CBS.

Definitely has the opportunity for a decent rating. Lots of background noise TV's turned on just because it's the first bowl game the day after Christmas and on a Saturday. It's up to UConn and Marshall to keep the viewers.

Reaction Score
The hit that took him out was a slide, he got away with many head first dives prior to that. People here clamored for him to slide, slide, slide. When he finally did he got knocked out. Honestly, let the kid play the game the way he's always known it balls to the wall and pay the consequences that way. Don't play tentatively and react accordingly. Full speed ahead folks.

UConn4ever

Devil Dog
Reaction Score
there's just as much risk of him getting another concussion in week 1 next year as there is of him getting another on Saturday so if he's cleared why shouldn't he play??

Reaction Score
WOW!

Idiots are known to have "Half a Brain"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01