Any Surprises This Season? | The Boneyard

Any Surprises This Season?

Reaction Score
I'm not sure what the preseason predictions were here, but is Connecticut the surprise of the season? Other than UConn's going undefeated so far, are there any other major surprises this year?

I don't really see any. And I haven't seen much in the way of surprises for several weeks.

Tennessee stinking up the place against unranked teams? Par for the course.

Texas starting out 3-4? But they have been unbeatable since then.

Duke being ranked after losing two key players? Anyone?

Seems to me that this is pretty much how everyone thought the season would go.

If there is a surprise for me, it's the fact that there have been so few super frosh leading their teams this year.

Anyone else?

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score
Does this count?

03-trump-basketball.w190.h190.2x.jpg

Reaction Score
  1. UConn undefeated
  2. Duke being ~top 10 after not making the tournament and 2 of its best players transferring
  3. Oregon St being ~top 10 after most key players graduated.
  4. Notre Dame taking a bit of step back from previous seasons
  5. NC St beating ND and FSU
  6. Kentucky managing to hang together around top 25 with all the turmoil and virtually no players

Reaction Score
The biggest surprises were 2---1. I knew Collier was very very good--but not anywhere as good as she really is. 2. I thought Dangerfield was top of the line--and she is--and I expected her to start sooner than now and take over the Point and score. I didn't expect her to be sitting most of the game time, even when she had no fracture issues. I expected the Baylor game, every game.

Not really a surprise--BuT. I thought Butlers game play last year was from sitting out a year and then the injury issues. I didn't realize her mobility was so impacted by her physical attributes. She is not mobile--she can run the floor well--but chasing smalls or bigs in the post--she can't keep up. this is not a dig at Natalie--she is what she is--and i doubt there is anything Geno or the trainer can do to change that. point is --i had serious hopes for Natalie--she is doing so much better than Nov.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Stunned that UCONN is undefeated not surprised.
Surprise that TN can beat ND and Stanford and the lose to Ole Miss.
Surprise that Slocum-MD is going to be Freshmen of the year.
Surprise ND has been so mercurial, and MM is actually having to coach effort.
Surprise that Duke beat SC and has clawed it way into possibly hosting first rounds of NCAA.
Surprised that we had relatively few transfers across WCBB
Pleasantly surprised that Megan Walker picked UCONN.
Surprised that UCONN is bringing a class of 4 wing type players which is a position of strength for the team.
Surprised that Washington is the only team West of Mississippi making any noise.
Surprised that Christyn Williams has not picked UCONN yet.

Reaction Score
Surprise that TN can beat ND and Stanford and the lose to Ole Miss.

"Surprise"

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

:p

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I think he plays for Syracuse, he fits the uniform color. :p

If thats the case...... dont expect any "homecoming" invites to the White House in the next 4 years :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That the pre-season top-five as a whole disappoint
That UConn woman are so much more accomplished that anyone imagined.

The pre-season top five disappointed? Refresh my memory.

I thought before the season that Baylor, Notre Dame, Texas, and UConn would be big. Texas is coming back; Baylor never left.

Yep, Notre Dame has slipped, and Louisville isn't what we'd expected either.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
Surprised that Washington is the only team West of Mississippi making any noise.
Texas and Baylor and Oklahoma probably wouldn't agree with you.

More to the point, while Washington is "splashy" - Stanford, Oregon State, Arizona State, UCLA are all in the top 25 and variously putting together nice seasons, no?

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Im not surprised with Duke being a top 15 team. Shocked at the Vanderbilt loss.... pleasantly surprised... though not shocked with the South Carolina victory.

Surprised:

1) that ND has 3 losses to date.....

2) Oregon State is a top 10 team

3) Kentucky is contending in the SEC

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score
I wasn't wholly surprised that FSU would be a tough opening matchup for UConn. However, I am surprised by their ranking comfortably in the top 10.

Reaction Score
Surprised that Tennessee has so many loses with all that talent.
Surprised that there seems to be a leadership void at ND( I didn't particularly care for Madison Cable but they appear to miss her)
Surprised that the Duke team has come together so well given all the change/noise and under the bus antics.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Surprised that Geno gave out not one but two post-game Hugs before they had even played their 10th game!

Geno can say that somebody was "really, really, REALLY good last night," but that's not enough to get a Hug. Three 'reallys' is a great game, don't get me wrong. Geno is usually grinning, with a twinkle in his eye, on those occasions when he hands out that compliment. On the other hand, Hugs only come when he can say--and does say to the cameras, with a straight face and with all sincerity--that someone was truly magnificent that night.

I don't see Lou getting a Hug any time soon because I think some of what goes into a Geno Hug are the expectations going in. Danger being a freshman in only her 2nd game putting on an All-American performance against Baylor? Check. Gabby putting the team on her shoulders (in some respects) and dominating in epic fashion against Notre Dame? Check.

Lou seems to me to be this year's version of DT/Maya/Stewie, where if she goes off and has a ridiculous game the best she can hope to get from Coach is, "Yeah, I saw what you did. What took you so long?" I'm trying to think of just what Lou would have to do for Geno to (figuratively) take his hat off, label her performance "magnificent," and give her the postgame Hug. It would have to be one helluva game, that's for sure.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
I'm trying to think of just what Lou would have to do for Geno to (figuratively) take his hat off, label her performance "magnificent," and give her the postgame Hug. It would have to be one helluva game, that's for sure.

Win him his 5th straight national championship. Maybe even grab the MVP award too, why not

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Texas and Baylor and Oklahoma probably wouldn't agree with you.

More to the point, while Washington is "splashy" - Stanford, Oregon State, Arizona State, UCLA are all in the top 25 and variously putting together nice seasons, no?
Yes, well maybe..... Impressed by Baylor and Texas for playing that very tough schedule. The rest not so much.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom