Any similarities between Hurley's recruiting and JC's? | The Boneyard

Any similarities between Hurley's recruiting and JC's?

Reaction Score
This year sort of reminds me of the mid 90s, where after JC began to build success with local northeast recruits and some under the radar hard working talent, the program began to attract more talented and higher ranked recruits. With that said, it was usually certain types of recruits who came here understanding and embracing that they needed to work hard to earn playing time. Nothing was ever promised or handed to them.

Now JC had to take an unproven program and build things from scratch. Hurley comes into a program that has a national reputation, though has been struggling of late. Sort of like what JC did over a few years, he's trying to do with one recruiting class. He added a couple of what seem to be like under the radar and under ranked versatile guards, and is trying to add a few higher ranked frontcourt players, though most of them seem to be cut from the same hard-working mold that JC used to go after.

JC went Nationwide and even internationally to find talent that fit the program. Hurley seems to be focusing predominantly on the East Coast, especially the Northeast. I think that's a good approach starting out. I wonder if eventually he'll widen the net, but still recruit the type of player that fits the UConn culture of out-working and out-willing their opponent. It's actually this culture that really makes me proud to be a UConn fan.

Something about David slaying Goliath, at least the perception of it, like what happened when we beat Duke for our first championship in 1999. It's very satisfying seeing one of our teams that has maybe one or two hamburger all-americans defeat a team who's roster is full of them.

I really don't care as much about the rankings of our recruits as I do seeing the coaching staff land a few of the primary targets that they feel are talented and fit our program.

One last related observation: What will Hurley do as it gets closer to the fall signing period, which is just about upon us? JC didn't handle every situation the same way. In some cases he'd offer the scholarship to two to three recruits that play the same position and would take whichever committed first. Now usually those were ones that were at a very similar talent level. I'm sure in most cases he probably preferred one over the others, but knew it was important to land at least one of them. In some cases he ended up taking both with Denham Brown and Rashard Anderson. But in other cases he would hold out for certain recruits that he absolutely wanted to land such as Rudy Gay. I'm sure there's a list of some that he landed and some that he missed out on. When the latter took place, he would find some late diamond in the rough the following spring. One example was when he missed out on two bigs, hum... I think their names were David Frey and Isaiah Fox if my memory serves me, which usually fails me, and we had to settle for Emeka Okafor, in the spring, or late fall. That worked out quite well for us. As for the other two, well most people have forgotten their names.

If Hurley can add Akok and Kofi (or one of the other 5s he's recruiting) , and then add Precious in the spring, it would be similar to JC's first large recruiting class when JC pulled in a bunch of pretty good top 100 talent, but then put the icing on the cake by landing Donyell Marshall.

I don't know if that will happen, nor is that necessary for Hurley to move the program forward, but that would be an amazing start.

Reaction Score
One example was when he missed out on two bigs, hum... I think their names were David Frey and Isaiah Fox if my memory serves me, which usually fails me, and we had to settle for Emeka Okafor, in the spring, or late fall. That worked out quite well for us. As for the other two, well most people have forgotten their names.
Since I'm always there for you when you forget a name (which is often! :)) the two were Fox and Jamal Sampson. Over 17 years ago and I remember that recruiting saga like it was yesterday. I think we all flipped out when we missed on those 2 and then had to "settle" for Okafor in the spring.

Reaction Score
Since I'm always there for you when you forget a name (which is often! :)) the two were Fox and Jamal Sampson. Over 17 years ago and I remember that recruiting saga like it was yesterday. I think we all flipped out when we missed on those 2 and then had to "settle" for Okafor in the spring.
Sampson, that's right. It's amazing that I remembered one of the two names. Hooper, you always have my back. Thanks.

Reaction Score
Couple of others. I think we missed Brandon Knight (or was it Jennings?) and got Kemba. And missed Corey Joseph and got shabazz.

Reaction Score
I remember when we got "The other Lamb".

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Isn't Okafor the one whose hs teammate was being recruited, with Okafor being noticed offered after the fact?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
He wants to play pressure m2m defense, win the rebounding and run a motion offense. more similar than the 'positionless, total basketball' we've been told we were getting the last few yrs

Reaction Score
Remember we got KO after we missed out on Travis Best? *ducks for cover*
Wasnt that the same year where we missed out on Best and Bob Sura? Holy crap that wouldve been an insane backcourt.

Reaction Score
This year sort of reminds me of the mid 90s, where after JC began to build success with local northeast recruits and some under the radar hard working talent, the program began to attract more talented and higher ranked recruits. With that said, it was usually certain types of recruits who came here understanding and embracing that they needed to work hard to earn playing time. Nothing was ever promised or handed to them.

Now JC had to take an unproven program and build things from scratch. Hurley comes into a program that has a national reputation, though has been struggling of late. Sort of like what JC did over a few years, he's trying to do with one recruiting class. He added a couple of what seem to be like under the radar and under ranked versatile guards, and is trying to add a few higher ranked frontcourt players, though most of them seem to be cut from the same hard-working mold that JC used to go after.

JC went Nationwide and even internationally to find talent that fit the program. Hurley seems to be focusing predominantly on the East Coast, especially the Northeast. I think that's a good approach starting out. I wonder if eventually he'll widen the net, but still recruit the type of player that fits the UConn culture of out-working and out-willing their opponent. It's actually this culture that really makes me proud to be a UConn fan.

Something about David slaying Goliath, at least the perception of it, like what happened when we beat Duke for our first championship in 1999. It's very satisfying seeing one of our teams that has maybe one or two hamburger all-americans defeat a team who's roster is full of them.

I really don't care as much about the rankings of our recruits as I do seeing the coaching staff land a few of the primary targets that they feel are talented and fit our program.

One last related observation: What will Hurley do as it gets closer to the fall signing period, which is just about upon us? JC didn't handle every situation the same way. In some cases he'd offer the scholarship to two to three recruits that play the same position and would take whichever committed first. Now usually those were ones that were at a very similar talent level. I'm sure in most cases he probably preferred one over the others, but knew it was important to land at least one of them. In some cases he ended up taking both with Denham Brown and Rashard Anderson. But in other cases he would hold out for certain recruits that he absolutely wanted to land such as Rudy Gay. I'm sure there's a list of some that he landed and some that he missed out on. When the latter took place, he would find some late diamond in the rough the following spring. One example was when he missed out on two bigs, hum... I think their names were David Frey and Isaiah Fox if my memory serves me, which usually fails me, and we had to settle for Emeka Okafor, in the spring, or late fall. That worked out quite well for us. As for the other two, well most people have forgotten their names.

If Hurley can add Akok and Kofi (or one of the other 5s he's recruiting) , and then add Precious in the spring, it would be similar to JC's first large recruiting class when JC pulled in a bunch of pretty good top 100 talent, but then put the icing on the cake by landing Donyell Marshall.

I don't know if that will happen, nor is that necessary for Hurley to move the program forward, but that would be an amazing start.
People forget what a big deal Donyell was, I remember it like it was yesterday because it was such a shot in the arm. If Hurley can land someone of that magnitude it would be an earthquake for us even though to your Duke’s and Kentuckys just another great player to throw on the pile.

Reaction Score
Isn't Okafor the one whose hs teammate was being recruited, with Okafor being noticed offered after the fact?
I think Okafor was shooting for Duke or Stanford based on his academic goals and background. Both passed. If memory serves me, JC went hard at Okafor, promising him that UConn was not going to be an academic wasteland for him. He was able to do some independent finance project his third and last year.
Ironically, he was able to smash it in Coach K’s face in the 2004 FF... boom. You passed on this?

Reaction Score
Coach K admitted after the fact that he passed on Ben Gordon too. Not a bad pickup for the good guys.

Was at the McD's game in which Donyell played and he didn't do much. Same for RIP. But they sure turned out to be great players for us.............except the 1994 Final Eight.

Reaction Score
People forget what a big deal Donyell was, I remember it like it was yesterday because it was such a shot in the arm. If Hurley can land someone of that magnitude it would be an earthquake for us even though to your Duke’s and Kentuckys just another great player to throw on the pile.
Donyell still might be the highest rated recruit we ever landed
He was a huge star in Pennsylvania HS basketball.
I remember the Sunday Reading Newspaper had a full page color photo of him and an accompanying story. Yes he was a very big deal .

Reaction Score

We already had our best class ever and I remember feeling pretty good. Rudy Johnson was the big score in the fall. Then Donyell signed and it almost didn't compute ("Wait, players like THAT don't commit to UConn . . . do they?")

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Donyell still might be the highest rated recruit we ever landed
He was a huge star in Pennsylvania HS basketball.
I remember the Sunday Reading Newspaper had a full page color photo of him and an accompanying story. Yes he was a very big deal .

Charlie V was 2 or 3 iirc. Drummond was 2.

Bynum was the top but obv never showed.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom