Any refs here? Got a question | The Boneyard

Any refs here? Got a question

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I’m watching the UConn men play Marquette. The Marquette players drive the paint, see 7’2” Donovan Clingan guarding the hoop, then change direction. But, they slide on one foot before putting the other foot down. I always thought that was a travel but Marquette’s slid 3 times without a call. Am I wrong?

Reaction Score
I’m watching the UConn men play Marquette. The Marquette players drive the paint, see 7’2” Donovan Clingan guarding the hoop, then change direction. But, they slide on one foot before putting the other foot down. I always thought that was a travel but Marquette’s slid 3 times without a call. Am I wrong?
If one foot doesn't move, then that's the pivot foot. Not a travel. On second thought...I gotta see this. Not getting the picture.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
If one foot doesn't move, then that's the pivot foot. Not a travel. On second thought...I gotta see this. Not getting the picture.
Sorry for being unclear - the Marquette player is running toward the basket with a normal stride. As he tries to turn away from the basket, the foot on the court slides. Then the other foot hits the court, so the Marquette kid is sliding with one foot on the court.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It sounds like either a Euro Step or a travel, but we know a high percentage of technical travels (and carries...) don't get called.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Sorry for being unclear - the Marquette player is running toward the basket with a normal stride. As he tries to turn away from the basket, the foot on the court slides. Then the other foot hits the court, so the Marquette kid is sliding with one foot on the court.
Unless they changed the rule that is a travel.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Heck, today's players palm the ball the entire trip down court and seem to get an extra step toward the hoop. I'm not surprised if refs today see this as a variation off the eurostep.

Reaction Score
It's not you. Just one of those things I can't picture. When sliding was the player still dribbling?

Reaction Score
Unless they changed the rule that is a travel.
That's what I thought. But, I need to see it. I'm hesitant because it happened more than once and they didn't call a travel.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
That's what I thought. But, I need to see it. I'm hesitant because it happened more than once and they didn't call a travel.
The refs just let a Marquette kid take about 5 steps - really. It was at least 5. Adama Sonogo, meanwhile, has been called for 4 travels. The men’s game refs are as inconsistent as the women’s.

Reaction Score
Note where they’re playing.

Reaction Score
Noticed a lot of sliding on both sides. They need to fix these hockey arenas for basketball before someone really gets hurt.

Reaction Score
NBA rules? It’s only a travel if the whole world agrees that at least 14 steps were taken without dribbling the basketball ?

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
In all the rules I have ever read, that is a travel. You can not slide the pivot foot.
True, but first foot down is not necessarily the pivot foot. Feet don't have to hit the ground at the same time (virtually impossible anyway). After both feet are on the ground, then you can pivot off either foot (and that becomes the pivot foot).

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
True, but first foot down is not necessarily the pivot foot. Feet don't have to hit the ground at the same time (virtually impossible anyway). After both feet are on the ground, then you can pivot off either foot (and that becomes the pivot foot).
Art. 4. A player who catches the ball while moving or ends a dribble may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows: a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:

1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;

2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can be the pivot foot. b. When one foot is on the playing court: 1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step; 2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can then be the pivot foot

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Art. 4. A player who catches the ball while moving or ends a dribble may stop and establish a pivot foot as follows: a. When both feet are off the playing court and the player lands:

1. Simultaneously on both feet, either may be the pivot foot;

2. On one foot followed by the other, the first foot to touch shall be the pivot foot;

3. On one foot, the player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can be the pivot foot. b. When one foot is on the playing court: 1. That foot shall be the pivot foot when the other foot touches in a step; 2. The player may jump off that foot and simultaneously land on both, in which case neither foot can then be the pivot foot
Not the way it works. Or else you couldn't do a layup.

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Not the way it works. Or else you couldn't do a layup.
Well it is the way it works as those are the rules. As Article 5 explains:

Art. 5. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot: a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

Which is why you can do a layup. Article 5 is also the rule that mix people up when they are confused by the so called 'Euro step"

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Well it is the way it works as those are the rules. As Article 5 explains:

Art. 5. After coming to a stop and establishing the pivot foot: a. The pivot foot may be lifted, but not returned to the playing court, before the ball is released on a pass or try for goal;

Which is why you can do a layup. Article 5 is also the rule that mix people up when they are confused by the so called 'Euro step"
Wrong. You might need to watch a bit more basketball.

NOT the way it works.

Reaction Score
I saw the play and initially thought travel. Watching the replay it was clear to me that a “pivot foot” was not established. It is a fine line. Once the player established his footing there wasn’t a travel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In all the rules I have ever read, that is a travel. You can not slide the pivot foot.
Yep, but it’s unclear to me from what Nan posted that a pivot foot was established.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom