Any OC Search Updates? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Any OC Search Updates?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
He would probably punt on 3rd down a lot to trick people. And try field goals on punts, it would be a circus out there.

You sound like an ideal candidate. Are you also prepared to take the blame with my meddling and let me continue to recruit the OL position incorrectly?

Reaction Score
He would probably punt on 3rd down a lot to trick people. And try field goals on punts, it would be a circus out there.

We already run 3 yards and a cloud of dust (OK, one yard and a cloud of dust), so bringing back the drop kick must be next.

Reaction Score
We already run 3 yards and a cloud of dust (OK, one yard and a cloud of dust), so bringing back the drop kick must be next.
Flutie for OC? He is the only one that could teach it.

Reaction Score
RHETT LASHLEE Auburn OC, turn around the dumpster fire, and he can be the head coach in 2018

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
If they go the FCS route, an Offensive Coordinator to consider would be Donnie Kirkpatrick of James Madison. The Dukes are ranked 5th in the country and 3rd in Total offense. There is simply no comparison in Offensive Statistics. In points per game UCONN ranked dead last with 14.8 ppg while JMU ranked second with 48.3 PPG.
Their only loss was to North Carolina 56-28. They scored 80 points against Moorehead State. They beat Maine 31-20.

SCHEDULE
2016 Football Schedule

JMU ranked 3rd in Total offense, UCONN 122nd. The stats are overwhelming!

....UCONN....JMU

Games...12...12
Plays....798.....901
YPG....3,840.6,309
YPP......4.81....7.00
TDS..19..70
YPG......320....525

BIO - Donnie Kirkpatrick
James Madison University Athletics - 2016 Football Coaching Staff

donnie kirkpatrick you tube

Scored 52 in playoff blowout of New Hampshire

JMU football breaks through playoff roadblock

While these FCS coaches tend to rack up huge offensive stats at that level, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Defensive players at the FCS level don't have the talent, quickness and speed you see at the FBS level. As a result, many FCS teams score a lot of points because the offenses are way ahead of the defenses talent wise. Look at the offensive numbers we put up during the Skip Holtz Era. It becomes an exercise in outscoring your opponents by putting up a bigger number than they do, with both teams routinely scoring 30+ per game.

I'm not suggesting these JMU guys wouldn't be a considerable upgrade over Fiasco and his crony assistants, however that's not a really high bar to surpass. It will be interesting to see how JMU does in their game tonight vs. the New York Yankees of FCS football, NoDak State.

Reaction Score
Look at the offensive numbers we put up during the Skip Holtz Era. It becomes an exercise in outscoring your opponents by putting up a bigger number than they do, with both teams routinely scoring 30+ per game.

Which would bring more exciting football for FBS level football in Storrs, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a stout D, BUT, we have had a lack of consistent offense for over a decade now... Let's put some points on the board for a change... We'll still have some D...

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Which would bring more exciting football for FBS level football in Storrs, no?

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to have a stout D, BUT, we have had a lack of consistent offense for over a decade now... Let's put some points on the board for a change... We'll still have some D...

Sure, I agree, and a lot of coaches out there could likely outdo the Pasqualoni/Diaco Era of offense at UConn. But expecting FCS or even low level G5 conference coaches to duplicate their high scoring offenses from those levels of play is a little overly optimistic. I'd much rather see us go after a successful OC from a major conference, like Moorhead, who have demonstrated they can produce a high powered offense at our level or higher.

Skip is still churning out great offensive teams at LA Tech. He has generally been able to do that everywhere he's been, except perhaps during his brief stint at USF.

Reaction Score
would love it if Skip wants another run up in Storrs... Unfortunately, not the case... and the Moorhead idea, is great, but definitely not possible. why go from sugar (Penn State) to sugar honey iced tea in Storrs? and you're not the HC?

With all that said, let's hope we get a OC that can at least move the ball and score some points, while allowing our D to get back to providing the most support, for 2017... It's the only hope we've got at this point...

Reaction Score
I see Phil Longo is getting $600K in his first year as OC at Ole Miss and $700K in his second. I thought we could wave around the same $300K Verducci got and land a good FCS OC, but now, who knows.

Reaction Score
It's been said before, but it bears repeating.

Normally when a position is filled, the post the opening that matches the person they have chosen, and then I believe it is open for a period of a few weeks before the coach is announced.

If that is still the case, we are weeks away from knowing who the new OC is.

It doesn't take that long to find someone, especially since all the decent candidates are being signed elsewhere.

That leads me to believe something is up, not of the norm.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
What if every person Diaco calls hangs up when they realize who they're talking too? It'd be hard to hire somebody if no one picks up the phone.

Reaction Score
While these FCS coaches tend to rack up huge offensive stats at that level, you have to take it with a grain of salt. Defensive players at the FCS level don't have the talent, quickness and speed you see at the FBS level. As a result, many FCS teams score a lot of points because the offenses are way ahead of the defenses talent wise. Look at the offensive numbers we put up during the Skip Holtz Era. It becomes an exercise in outscoring your opponents by putting up a bigger number than they do, with both teams routinely scoring 30+ per game.

I'm not suggesting these JMU guys wouldn't be a considerable upgrade over Fiasco and his crony assistants, however that's not a really high bar to surpass. It will be interesting to see how JMU does in their game tonight vs. the New York Yankees of FCS football, NoDak State.

LOL! No question it's a different level but they put up 21 points on North Carolina in the 1st quarter this year, 28 for the game! Joe Moorhead turned Fordham around as an FCS head coach. That didn't stop Jame Franklin from naming him his Offensive Coordinator. Kirkpatrick has experience with East Carolina & Louisville. He has also been a head coach.
I'll be watching closely tonight. Based on his track record this year as critical as many Boneyarders can be, the majority would be happy with Kirkpatrick.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
It's been said before, but it bears repeating.

Normally when a position is filled, the post the opening that matches the person they have chosen, and then I believe it is open for a period of a few weeks before the coach is announced.

If that is still the case, we are weeks away from knowing who the new OC is.

It doesn't take that long to find someone, especially since all the decent candidates are being signed elsewhere.

That leads me to believe something is up, not of the norm.
Fleck is happening. Just watch. He should have already left WMU, but he hasn't. WMU plays their NY6 bowl game on the 2nd, the same day Diaco's buyout drops considerably.

Reaction Score
I wonder what level of coaching does Diaco want the OC to run. I guess 3-400 level. Or back to square 1

Reaction Score

I guess Ole Miss doesn't think the same way about quality FCS Offensive Coordinators.

Ole Miss: Sam Houston State offensive coordinator Phil Longo will join the Ole Miss staff as offensive coordinator, according to Fox Sports’ Bruce Feldman. Longo has been at SHSU since 2014 and improved the scoring offense from No. 22 in his first year to two straight top-5 numbers at more than 41 points per game.

Sure hope we locked up Kirkpatrick and we're just waiting til the FCS Championship is over. Maybe we would have heard something if JMU lost

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom