Any dinosaurs here using VOIP service for landline? | The Boneyard

Any dinosaurs here using VOIP service for landline?

Reaction Score
My wife insists on keeping our landline (till we die) that we get through Optimum. Mainly because we've had the phone way before cell phones, and many friends have 'found' us because of that. Many years ago I switched to Vonage but the connection was unreliable, but that was way back in the days when routers and modems were like 1200/2400 .

I'm getting a new router and want to ditch the optimum modem and upgrade to 1gig. Problem is the good modems don't have voice jacks. So the solution is to switch to a VOIP provider, who provide their own box.

Anyone have good feedback/recommendations with any of them out there other than Vonage (the most expensive)? Primarily domestic calls by the way.

Reaction Score
Get one of these and use it with this: Anveo for OBiTALK: High Quality Service - moving beyond GV

40 bucks a year. We don't even have a landline phone in the house. We have it set up so that when someone calls and leaves a voicemail, the voicemail is emailed to us.

This is the number I give out for online shopping, doctors appointments, everything. I never have to give out my cellphone number. I can also send faxes with it which is nice.

I've owned the obitalk device for at least 10 years with no issues.

Reaction Score
Get one of these and use it with this: Anveo for OBiTALK: High Quality Service - moving beyond GV

40 bucks a year. We don't even have a landline phone in the house. We have it set up so that when someone calls and leaves a voicemail, the voicemail is emailed to us.

This is the number I give out for online shopping, doctors appointments, everything. I never have to give out my cellphone number. I can also send faxes with it which is nice.

I've owned the obitalk device for at least 10 years with no issues.
Thanks but I can't port my existing landline number:

'Ooops! We currently don't support porting from your carrier. We apologize and are working on adding support for more carriers.'

Reaction Score
If the only reason you want the line is for the number, can you: i) port the line to a cell phone or other internet-based option like google voice? or ii) keep paying for the line, but don't even set-it up on a landline phone. Just forward the calls to your cell phone.

My wife insisted on a landline for years because she works from home (which isn't even novel anymore!). We got rid of the line when we cut our cable and she is been totally fine without the landline. I guess we don't know who has been unable to contact us since, but it doesn't seem to be anyone we miss.

Reaction Score
If the only reason you want the line is for the number, can you: i) port the line to a cell phone or other internet-based option like google voice? or ii) keep paying for the line, but don't even set-it up on a landline phone. Just forward the calls to your cell phone.

My wife insisted on a landline for years because she works from home (which isn't even novel anymore!). We got rid of the line when we cut our cable and she is been totally fine without the landline. I guess we don't know who has been unable to contact us since, but it doesn't seem to be anyone we miss.
She likes using the landline over the cell phone for some reason. She is also adverse to change, especially if its not broken (or works). We have one of those 5 headset thingees, so there is a phone everywhere within reach. When our children and family, call she likes not having to pass the phone. With 3 floors its nice not having to run up stairs to pass my/her cell phone, then doing the same to retrieve it. Finally my cell phone is my business line, so we would be primarily using hers for calls and that's a deal killer.

Reaction Score
Ooma works for us, and we were able to port our 40-year old phone number. Obviously, 90% of the calls we're getting are robos or charity solicitations. Whatever happened to do-not-call lists.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Only you kitman to have this bingo night at the senior center discussion lol.

Reaction Score
Just cut off our landline. Nothing but Robinhood calls and we use mobiles.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
She likes using the landline over the cell phone for some reason. She is also adverse to change, especially if its not broken (or works). We have one of those 5 headset thingees, so there is a phone everywhere within reach. When our children and family, call she likes not having to pass the phone. With 3 floors its nice not having to run up stairs to pass my/her cell phone, then doing the same to retrieve it. Finally my cell phone is my business line, so we would be primarily using hers for calls and that's a deal killer.
So break the phone!!! Open it up and clip a wire or something. Sheeeesh!

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
We have ooma. We only pay taxes, no other fees. No issues.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
My wife insists on keeping our landline (till we die) that we get through Optimum. Mainly because we've had the phone way before cell phones, and many friends have 'found' us because of that. Many years ago I switched to Vonage but the connection was unreliable, but that was way back in the days when routers and modems were like 1200/2400 .

I'm getting a new router and want to ditch the optimum modem and upgrade to 1gig. Problem is the good modems don't have voice jacks. So the solution is to switch to a VOIP provider, who provide their own box.

Anyone have good feedback/recommendations with any of them out there other than Vonage (the most expensive)? Primarily domestic calls by the way.

Yes. My wife is the same. I asked about it in the cord cutting thread. Based on a little research, Ooma seemed the best option if you aren't get VOIP from your ISP.

Reaction Score
Yes. My wife is the same. I asked about it in the cord cutting thread. Based on a little research, Ooma seemed the best option if you aren't get VOIP from your ISP.
Right but I am getting VOIP from Optimum.

Reaction Score

Just reread your post...do you really think the modem is limiting your throughput such that its impacting your usability? Why not get a modem with the phone jack...if it doesn't give your the throughput, then return and change your Voip provider?

Every time my ISP says it's my equipment when I have an issue, turns out it is their line problem

Reaction Score
Just reread your post...do you really think the modem is limiting your throughput such that its impacting your usability? Why not get a modem with the phone jack...if it doesn't give your the throughput, then return and change your Voip provider?

Every time my ISP says it's my equipment when I have an issue, turns out it is their line problem
I brought a Nighthawk and want to sign up for the 1gig plan. The optimum modem is old (with a monthly charge to boot). Looking at the Netgear CM1000 or Arris 8200 modems to achieve 1 gig speeds. Neither has Voice support.

Need to replace the existing modem, and I'd rather purchase it and return the rental back to Optimum.

With a dedicated VOIP plan I don't need a 'high speed' voice modem, which have very limited selection.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
I bundle my internet TV and phone so I still have one but it is just a source of junk calls. During the election I tended to throw the phones around the house so actually now I think only one of them works!

Reaction Score
I brought a Nighthawk and want to sign up for the 1gig plan. The optimum modem is old (with a monthly charge to boot). Looking at the Netgear CM1000 or Arris 8200 modems to achieve 1 gig speeds. Neither has Voice support.

Need to replace the existing modem, and I'd rather purchase it and return the rental back to Optimum.

With a dedicated VOIP plan I don't need a 'high speed' voice modem, which have very limited selection
Got it...I'm just so reticent to believe anything from the internet providers with speed ratings...My IT manager actually got rid of his 1g connection because he never got close to that speed and felt he was paying for nothing.

We have Magic jack which is 40/year and plugs with into the router

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Got it...I'm just so reticent to believe anything from the internet providers with speed ratings...My IT manager actually got rid of his 1g connection because he never got close to that speed and felt he was paying for nothing.

We have Magic jack which is 40/year and plugs with into the router
'My IT manager actually got rid of his 1g connection because he never got close to that speed and felt he was paying for nothing.'
tell him to buy some advertising. mebbe partner up on the ads with others (many, many others so afflicted) to save some cash?
AT&T scrambles to install fiber for 90-year-old after his viral WSJ ad | Ars Technica

Reaction Score

New Optimum cable boxes have phone jacks. Just need a base unit nearby if you don’t want a cable mess. Router comes with the new cable. I only went to the 300mb option though.

Reaction Score
Landline, you guys are funny. I'm so far from the nearest pole that I couldn't get one without mortgaging my house.

Reaction Score

We had Ooma. It was excellent. And it's free.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom