Any chance we can install a passing game before next Saturday? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Any chance we can install a passing game before next Saturday?

Reaction Score
Does it strike anybody else that Mora is running Randy Edsall’s dream team right now. Pound the ball, play tough defense and try to shorten the game.

I disagree, We are seeing more window dressing and misdirection in our running game than we have ever seen. It's actually quite creative. It would be a deadly running attack if we had someone like Pindell at QB. This is the offense we should have run with Pindell. I love when we put in Fortin in as an extra blocker. Our offense is similar to a Willie Fritz / Tulane style running attack. Love it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Does it strike anybody else that Mora is running Randy Edsall’s dream team right now. Pound the ball, play tough defense and try to shorten the game.

I thought that driving home. Forget HCRE II where he failed completely, but during HCRE I, while we were accomplishing more than anyone expected us to be, he would have been utterly destroyed on the Boneyard for not being able to pass the ball.

But who cares? We’re 5-5 and I’ve got bigger things to worry about than the consistency of the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Never
“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” – George Santayana, The Life of Reason, 1905.
LOL. FAir enough.

But you took the quote totally out of context.

Reaction Score
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth given we pulled a W again, but Charlton has to start developing a passing capable offense. The number of missed opportunities and inability to take advantage of field position and convert was terrible last night. If ZT is the guy, then it’s about time they started letting the kid be the guy and make some mistakes and get his reps. The training wheels need to come off if he is ever to learn how to ride a bike.

Reaction Score
I think you're assuming a lot about a what, 18 year old?

I think he has the raw skills, but most of what he needs now is better decision-making and QB intelligence. Which I would assume would go up over time as you get more experience, get used to the speed of the game, etc.

He throws some good balls, he just needs to know when to stay in the pocket and pass, when to tuck it and run, etc.

He also has been doomed by WR depth. Often there is simply nobody open and not a good option.

I do have to believe of Roberson gets healthy he gets a solid shot but who knows. I am not ready to write off ZT just yet but he does have a ways to go.
It all depends on who sticks around beyond this year now that a true freshman just proved he can play at the D1 level. True he has to improve alot, but this had to have been Mora's long term plan anyways it just got fast-forwarded a bit.

Reaction Score
When the Pats won a game last year with their 1st year QB throwing only 3 passes it was hailed as genius. Tonight we covered with our QB adhering strictly to the Hippocratic Oath. Next week I trust this staff will have a different plan.
He almost killed himself running more than once.

Reaction Score
He almost killed himself running more than once.
One thing we’ve learned about ZT running is that his reluctance to run early was based in part on not having a healthy QB behind him to finish the year if he gets hurt. As the season has marked forward, he has shown himself more and more willing to risk his body to make a play.

Reaction Score
Look, I admire ZT’s attitude and toughness and leadership. His skill set, as a true frosh, is not what you’d like to have. But the conservativeness is based in part that our WRs don’t get the separation you want and don’t make a high enough percentage of tough catches in traffic. I doubt they change the offense if Ross and Marrion are at 100% for a bowl, but you may see them air it out more with the plays they already have.
There were a few times the announcers showed examples of wide open UConn receivers, and ZT just not throwing quickly enough, or not at all. Either he isn't seeing it, or is too hesitant to make the throw.

Reaction Score
How do any of us know Roberson has the skill set? All we've seen of him is playing at Iowa when PSU starter got hurt and a few plays at USU before he got injured. None of us know how he'd be this year.

Instead of wishing for the next QB, let's be happy with the one we have. The one who is a true frosh and was forced into the role in Game 1. The one who has helped manage the offense through multiple skill player injuries. The one who has us at 5-5. I don't doubt that Zion gets better next season and who knows what happens. Right now, I'm appreciating what we have, and wishing we could get a little bit more. However, we are playing mistake free football on the offensive side and Zion is a huge part of that.
Hard to be happy with so many sub 150 yard games tbh

Reaction Score
We are lucky to have Zion Turner as our Quarterback…he wins everywhere he goes… never seen a Quarterback so calm no matter what happens on the field… has a good arm is very athletic and is a great game manager… he ain’t losing the starting quarterback job as long as he is here

Reaction Score
I hate to look a gift horse in the mouth given we pulled a W again, but Charlton has to start developing a passing capable offense. The number of missed opportunities and inability to take advantage of field position and convert was terrible last night. If ZT is the guy, then it’s about time they started letting the kid be the guy and make some mistakes and get his reps. The training wheels need to come off if he is ever to learn how to ride a bike.
60 yards passing was enough against Mass. It surely will not be against Liberty and Army. There will have to be substantially more production in the passing game for us to beat either of those teams, especially since we probably won't get more than 150 max from the ground game.

Reaction Score
I thought that driving home. Forget HCRE II where he failed completely, but during HCRE I, while we were accomplishing more than anyone expected us to be, he would have been utterly destroyed on the Boneyard for not being able to pass the ball.

But who cares? We’re 5-5 and I’ve got bigger things to worry about than the consistency of the Boneyard.
The boneyard is a funny place. Last time we beat UMass in 2019 we had over 300 rushing yards Including 2 guys who got over 100 each And the yard was just full of people blasting Edsall for not throwing enough. Oh and fwiw, Zergiotis threw for “only” 198 in that one. I’m not asking for Zergiotis back but imagine if we had a guy who could throw for a paltry 198 yards last night…LOL

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Does anyone know what offense Charlton ran at Maine?

Yes, the offensive playbook has been very limited this season (especially in the passing game) but there are quite a few contributing factors for this. For all we know he may be under orders to keep things as they are with the current available roster.

Reaction Score
Charlton didn’t run some wide open throw it 50 times a game offense at Maine. He basically ran a variation of our offense, run the ball first, then throw short to medium routes. They ran 490+- times and threw it 450 times.

Reaction Score
Pansy az complaining. 5-5. Nobody predicted this. Good on Mora and team.
If I were editing this, it would come out:

UConn is 5-5. Nobody predicted this. Good on Mora and team.

Reaction Score
Charlton didn’t run some wide open throw it 50 times a game offense at Maine. He basically ran a variation of our offense, run the ball first, then throw short to medium routes. They ran 490+- times and threw it 450 times.
Just a small point, but that ratio is nothing like UConn's is it? My perception is that the ratio is currently at 3:1. Just sayin' ....

Reaction Score
Just a small point, but that ratio is nothing like UConn's is it? My perception is that the ratio is currently at 3:1. Just sayin' ....
That’s why I said a variation. It was a run first offense with a short passing game to complement the run. And he had an experienced good quarterback. I watched a couple of their games and I recognize elements of it in the way we do things especially in the passing game. They also threw some longer stuff but again with an experienced qb. They weren’t one of these teams that threw the ball for 400 yards.

Reaction Score
UConn through 10 games:

Rushing Attempts: 412
Passing Attempts: 200
Point taken. 2:1 rather than my perception of 3-1. But I think the overarching point stands.

At Maine 1.1 : 1 and at UConn 2.1 : 1

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom