Any chance for Natalie Chou??? | The Boneyard

Any chance for Natalie Chou???

Reaction Score
Not sure if there is any chance Chou would consider Uconn. I think there was some interest in her by our staff when she was on high school.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I guess I missed the memo.

One of 10 articles from yesterday; Natalie Chou to transfer from Baylor

PS. I don't see her as anyone to reach out to.

2017-18 [SOPHOMORE]...
Started the first 21 games of the season before suffering an injury to her nonshooting wrist, which required surgery... Appeared in 27 games overall, averaging 6.7 points, 3.3 rebounds, 2.3 assists and 1.1 steals per game... Scored in double figures 11 times, four times in Big 12 action... Pulled down a career-high 10 rebounds, while adding 13 points for her first career double-double vs. North Dakota... Netted a career-high 22 points in the season-opener vs. Lamar, which was also the first 20-point game of her career... Distributed a career-high seven assists at Iowa State... Matched her career-high with five three-pointers vs. Iowa State on six attempts... Played a career-high 33 minutes at Oklahoma... Matched her career-high in steals with four vs. Central Arkansas... Shot .382 from the floor, .333 from three-point range and a team-best .909 from the free throw line.

Particularly with baylor's schedule being what it was.

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I saw her play a few different times when she was being recruited and could not for the life of me understand why she was considered a top 10 kid according to HG. I always thought she was more of a fringe top 25-30 kid...

She averaged under 2 PPG on the U17 USA National team and didn't even start on the 3x3 team and averaged only 3 PPG. Honestly, I'd take a hard pass. Focus on guards from 2019 and 2020...

I do think she'd be terrific for a mid level team - even one hovering around the top 25 - say West Virginia or Oklahoma or something. I think she'd be a role player on a top 10 type of team...

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I thought Kim Mulkey treats her really nice. She was a starter at beginning until she was injured.

skilz

Final Four Bound!
Reaction Score
Chou has not been consistent throughout the past two years. She's had some great games, however, she's had some games where she can't get pass the mental block. She's her own worse critic (besides mom). She will probably do much better away from Texas. She's a very smart girl with tons of talent (singing, musical instruments). Her injury may have her rethinking her future priorities.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Natalie Chou is just a great person. Kind, smart, and giving. She is also a great representative of and for her community. As a player from what I've seen though she's just a bit too plodding and too inconsistent a shooter. Geno has enough 'tweeners, and all are more athletic than Chou.

Reaction Score
Natalie Chou is just a great person. Kind, smart, and giving. She is also a great representative of and for her community. As a player from what I've seen though she's just a bit too plodding and too inconsistent a shooter. Geno has enough 'tweeners, and all are more athletic than Chou.
Strange. I live about 5 miles from her HS and didn't hear anything about her transferring. Not sure what her goals are but believe she could help UConn. Might not be a superstar but has started for a Top 10 team at position we are thin at.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Strange. I live about 5 miles from her HS and didn't hear anything about her transferring. Not sure what her goals are but believe she could help UConn. Might not be a superstar but has started for a Top 10 team at position we are thin at.
I have to disagree. UConn is not thin at the 2 or 3 which is where she would play. UConn isn't thin at the point either. UConn is thin at the 4 and 5, and she can't help there. Worse, every person at the 1, 2 or 3 that UConn has currently is quicker and more athletic.

Reaction Score
I have to disagree. UConn is not thin at the 2 or 3 which is where she would play. UConn isn't thin at the point either. UConn is thin at the 4 and 5, and she can't help there. Worse, every person at the 1, 2 or 3 that UConn has currently is quicker and more athletic.
Agree. From her standpoint why would she want to come to UConn to sit on the bench when she could see lots of minutes at other schools.

Reaction Score

as far as I can tell UConn is thin just about everywhere but Ms Chou is not the answer to that problem...........

Reaction Score
If she wants to stay close to home and play on a competitive team with great academics, I wouldn't be surprised if she goes to Rice.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
If she wants to stay close to home and play on a competitive team with great academics, I wouldn't be surprised if she goes to Rice.

She wouldn't be the first from the state of Texas to follow that route: ...Nancy Mulkey,the 6'9" center who was at Oklahoma for a year, is now eligible this year to join a whole slew of transfers -- the Ogwumike sisters (Pepperdine), Nicole Iademarco (Arizona State) -- as a Rice Owl, who went 23-10 last year.

Reaction Score
She wouldn't be the first from the state of Texas to follow that route: ...Nancy Mulkey,the 6'9" center who was at Oklahoma for a year, is now eligible this year to join a whole slew of transfers -- the Ogwumike sisters (Pepperdine), Nicole Iademarco (Arizona State) -- as a Rice Owl, who went 23-10 last year.
Exactly. They've done well in the transfer market and are on the upswing. I could see it.

Reaction Score
the past few times when a thread has been started about a transfer having interest in Uconn, they end up having interest in Uconn, so maybe Chou will as well.

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Anything is possible. But, those players you listed had originally left the state of Texas for college. Chou stayed in state when she signed with Baylor. Regardless, I do expect her to transfer to a school with very good academics.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score

Exactly. They've done well in the transfer market and are on the upswing. I could see it.

Anything is possible. But, those players you listed had originally left the state of Texas for college. Chou stayed in state when she signed with Baylor. Regardless, I do expect her to transfer to a school with very good academics.

To build on these points:
- Coach Tina Langley has used transfers to augment/build the team.
- Yes, the three mentioned here "came home" to Texas, but they chose to come to Rice. Factors could include proximity to home; possibility of PT; academics and/or some combination thereof
- Who knows what Ms. Chou is after, but Rice might offer a few of those to her if she and Coach Langley have "mutual interest" (to borrow a phrase from Coach McGraw).
For instance, guard/forward Nicole Iademarco (Arizona State) has one more year of eligibility. After Chou sits out a year, that position could be open.

Heard some West Coast schools were also initially in play (UCLA? Cal?). We'll see...

Reaction Score
I had heard she had interest in UCLA, however that was weeks ago even before the announcement. So I don't know if that didn't pan out for what. From what I've heard and gathering she is wanting to get further away. However, I don't trust anything until it is officially announced.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Congrats. Great school. :cool:
Thanks! He enjoyed his time there and was on some alumni committee for a while. He has 2 degrees from Rice and 1 from Columbia. His wife has 1 from Rice and 1 from Stanford.

He’s waiting on tables in very nice restaurants. ;)

Reaction Score
Thanks! He enjoyed his time there and was on some alumni committee for a while. He has 2 degrees from Rice and 1 from Columbia. His wife has 1 from Rice and 1 from Stanford.

He’s waiting on tables in very nice restaurants. ;)

But..but...what about all the great jobs out there that aren't being filled?

Reaction Score
Man! Natalie would be nice fit at UConn! I just think that we have a great system in place. Coach (and CD) teaches players how to play the game of basketball rather than run set plays. Nat's 6'1" length would be excellent on the offensive and defensive ends. Her shooting range would improve. I like this kid's game and believe that our coaching system and style of play fits this young ladies talents.

Reaction Score
Man! Natalie would be nice fit at UConn! I just think that we have a great system in place. Coach (and CD) teaches players how to play the game of basketball rather than run set plays. Nat's 6'1" length would be excellent on the offensive and defensive ends. Her shooting range would improve. I like this kid's game and believe that our coaching system and style of play fits this young ladies talents.

I think the consensus is she may not be athletic enough to play for a team like UConn.............she has a nice shooting touch but struggles if she's got to manufacture her own shot and I don't believe she's great on the defensive end of the floor either...........basically she's a perfect fit for Jose at South Florida........

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom