Any Boneyarders traveling to the BYU game? | The Boneyard

Any Boneyarders traveling to the BYU game?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I grew up in Connecticut and have followed UConn since I was kid, but I went out to BYU for college and have now lived in the Salt Lake area now for many years. If anyone is traveling out here for the game this week, I am happy to answer any questions or offer any advice about what to see in the area, about game day at BYU, etc.

Although it's a tough choice choosing between my two favorite schools, I will admittedly be cheering for BYU, my first football love as a kid having grown up during the McMahon, Young, and national championship years and having attended the school soon thereafter. But at least I will be hedged if UConn wins. I expect a closer game than last season given BYU's injuries and inexperience at QB and RB. And I hope that both programs are soon out of realignment purgatory and included in major conferences where they belong.

Reaction Score
I grew up in Connecticut and have followed UConn since I was kid, but I went out to BYU for college and have now lived in the Salt Lake area now for many years. If anyone is traveling out here for the game this week, I am happy to answer any questions or offer any advice about what to see in the area, about game day at BYU, etc.

Although it's a tough choice choosing between my two favorite schools, I will admittedly be cheering for BYU, my first football love as a kid having grown up during the McMahon, Young, and national championship years and having attended the school soon thereafter. But at least I will be hedged if UConn wins. I expect a closer game than last season given BYU's injuries and inexperience at QB and RB. And I hope that both programs are soon out of realignment purgatory and included in major conferences where they belong.

I'll be there with my daughter. Salt Lake City Wednesday and Thursday, then Provo for Friday and Saturday.

Reaction Score
I'll be there with my daughter. Salt Lake City Wednesday and Thursday, then Provo for Friday and Saturday.

Good itinerary, downtown SLC will be pretty busy this weekend because the LDS Church has what it calls "General Conference" every 6 months on the first weekends in October and April at Temple Square and the creatively-named Conference Center, which will mean lots of people downtown on Saturday and Sunday.

Reaction Score
I just got in to SLC. Wife is doing some work here then we are going down to Provo for the game. (hope the weather forecast gets better.)
Are Uconn fans meeting or tailgating? If so, where?

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
We ain't in Kansas anymore Toto!

– No alcohol, tobacco or illegal substances are allowed in the tailgate lot or on campus.

Wow...not even allowed a victory cigar on way to car??

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Great setting for a stadium. Tailgating? Rules & info from BYU

– No alcohol, tobacco or illegal substances are allowed in the tailgate lot or on campus.

I went online to see for what cuisine Utah is known. I was thinking about doing sort of a garage or kitchen tailgate to pass the time before the late kick off. The only thing remotely close to what I'd expect to see at a typical tailgate are pastrami burgers, which are pretty much a cheese burger topped by a 1/4 lb. or so of pastrami, with Fry Sauce (a mayo, ketchup, and relish mixture...which everyone else in the country just calls condiments), funeral potatoes (uplifting), and - no joke - Jell-O.

Is there any doubt our crew made grilled pizza for the BYU game last year? I've never heard of such (if not bland) unimaginative combinations in regional cuisine...

SonsOfNutmeg

#TheCut #HuskyRevolution
Reaction Score
I went online to see for what cuisine Utah is known. I was thinking about doing sort of a garage or kitchen tailgate to pass the time before the late kick off. The only thing remotely close to what I'd expect to see at a typical tailgate are pastrami burgers, which are pretty much a cheese burger topped by a 1/4 lb. or so of pastrami, with Fry Sauce (a mayo, ketchup, and relish mixture...which everyone else in the country just calls condiments), funeral potatoes (uplifting), and - no joke - Jell-O.

Is there any doubt our crew made grilled pizza for the BYU game last year? I've never heard of such (if not bland) unimaginative combinations in regional cuisine...
Rocky Mountain Oysters? lol

Reaction Score
Great setting for a stadium. Tailgating? Rules & info from BYU

As one might imagine, the tailgating scene at BYU is pretty limited. There are some dedicated tailgaters in the designated tailgating lot near the Marriott Center (basketball arena), but the scope is a lot smaller than at most schools. It may be further reduced this week cue to the Friday night kick and the possibility of rain during the day on Friday.

Reaction Score

Yes, not a lot of real local flavor here. I think your research pretty much covers it. There is some decent local Tex-Mex around, but otherwise most cuisine is imported from elsewhere. You might also want to add flavored sodas (although certainly not to replace your usual pre-game beverages) - seriously, it's a thing here, no joke: http://www.sltrib.com/news/2872310-155/playing-dirty-inside-the-proliferation-of

Husky25

Reaction Score
Yes, not a lot of real local flavor here. I think your research pretty much covers it. There is some decent local Tex-Mex around, but otherwise most cuisine is imported from elsewhere. You might also want to add flavored sodas (although certainly not to replace your usual pre-game beverages) - seriously, it's a thing here, no joke: http://www.sltrib.com/news/2872310-155/playing-dirty-inside-the-proliferation-of
Is Sugar legal in Utah? I will certainly add flavored sodas to my repertoire, but just to cut the burn of what I mix with it. ;)

Lei Pakalawi considers herself a "Swigaholic."

Three, sometimes four times a day, she waits in a line of cars at the drive-thru soda shop Swig to get a 32-ounce "Dirty Dr Pepper" — a Dr Pepper with a shot of coconut syrup and a squeeze of lime, plus half-and-half.

Whoa...Settle down there, SLC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Whoa!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If available......
Bet all our fans would then would all park and walk the mile and quarter from Red parking without any beeching!!!!!

ElGuapo

What does that mean, in-famous?
Reaction Score
I'm not going but have loved the times I've spent in Utah for business and fun.
Although from an alcohol loving, non-religious affiliated, northeast Yankee perspective it is quite a different place to find oneself.

What happens in the Lot if you are caught drinking a 3,2 beer or spiking a Dirty Dr. Pepper and making it dirtier?
Do you arrested? Fined? Walked Out? Shamed?

Reaction Score
Relocating to Vegas. Left Jersey today, driving with my dad. Just passed through Terre Haute. Will be staying overnight by Kansas City and we are gonna grab some tickets. Dad wants good seats so we probably won't be sitting with any of you guys, gonna snag some of the last lower corner seats.

Reaction Score
31GuardTrap said:
Remind me.....to NEVER....move to Utah..ever.
It's not so bad. I got stuck there for a weekend when a buddy's car broke down. Had plenty of beer and strippers.

Husky25

Reaction Score
It's not so bad. I got stuck there for a weekend when a buddy's car broke down. Had plenty of beer and strippers.
So the correct spelling of Utah is O-R-E-G-O-N?

Reaction Score
All the pics being tweeted by CT Media and UConn make Provo look gorgeous. LE Stadium looks beautiful too.

Very jealous of anyone out there tonight (though apparently it's pouring at the moment).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom