Anthony: Something Needs To Change On Travel Front | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Anthony: Something Needs To Change On Travel Front

Reaction Score
This place never disappoints. Article written that says UConn needs to play better on the road, quotes the coach saying we need to be better on the road, and this board turns it into a discussion on conference realignment.

For those of you who don't like Mark Anthony's argument/excuse that the conference, or the amount of travel, is the cause/reason for the team playing poorly, i've got good news for you.

He didn't make that argument.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Dan Hurley was asked recently about UConn's struggle to win games on the road and he said it's really not being on the road that's the issue. He said something to the effect that it's about playing tough defense and and playing with energy, whether at home or on the road. I agree, but to be 0-5 on the road, must say something about playing on others teams' courts. When Mike Anthony says "something needs to change on the travel front" I think what needs to change is attitude, mental preparation, and focus. This UConn team, at least in part, must somehow be allowing the opposing crowd, the different feel of an unfamiliar building, or something, to affect the way they perform. That is all mental and can be overcome. Good teams tune out the distractions and zero on the task at hand which is competing and winning. This is also a sign of maturity. Apparently, the Huskies aren't there yet.

Reaction Score
"“If we were a really good team we would get off to better starts,” Hurley said. “We're not a really good team. We're not a mature, well-balanced, really good basketball team.”

It’s unfair, but natural, to look back on times when UConn would go up to the Carrier Dome and silence some of the biggest crowds in college basketball history; when the Huskies would strut into Fitzgerald Field House, crush Pitt and stare down the student section; when they would tip off at Georgetown, at Notre Dame, at Louisville without a hint of fear.

The jersey is essentially the same, national flag blue. But, of course, we’re in an altogether different era of UConn basketball, a different world with different talent and personality, and Hurley in year one doesn’t have a team equipped to handle such opportunities."

Clearly Anthony and Hurley are making excuses due to the travel, rather than addressing the fact the team just isn't good enough to win on the road.

Reaction Score
What a load of crap! Tough going all the way to Philly or even Florida, huh? What was it, the time change or the long 2 hour flight?

Reaction Score
What a load of crap! Tough going all the way to Philly or even Florida, huh? What was it, the time change or the long 2 hour flight?
Which part specifically in the article was a load of crap? Quote it.

SwingDog

Reaction Score
At 6:27 Coach Hurley addresses the issue of difficulties on the road. He dismisses the notion that "the road" is the issue and makes no excuses. This is a coach with a winning mindset. The players need to completely buy in.

Last edited:

SwingDog

Reaction Score
The entire thing is just a really misleading tweet from @UConn_Insider.
I wouldn't say it's misleading but I think at first glance (or if not reading carefully) one might think the travel itself is the problem, which it's not, and not what Anthony is saying either.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I do think AAC travel is a significant factor in road success but it is due to a combination of distance and time zones. Most NCAA teams struggle on the road just as NBA teams tend to. Couple that where virtually every road trip is over a two hour flight and several (Houston, SMU, Tulsa, Tulane) are long trips and a time zone difference. One hour may not seem significant but time zone outliers in most conferences tend to do poorly on the road. Just look a the traditional road records of the far eastern teams in the Big 10 playing in Lincoln, Madison, Minneapolis and Iowa or in the Pac 12 where Colorado and Utah are both exceptionally stout at home and terrible on the road.

On a similar note, I really think the last title team partially won because the rigors of the tournament were comparable with their first year in the AAC and their vets were prepared.

Reaction Score
This place never disappoints. Article written that says UConn needs to play better on the road, quotes the coach saying we need to be better on the road, and this board turns it into a discussion on conference realignment.

For those of you who don't like Mark Anthony's argument/excuse that the conference, or the amount of travel, is the cause/reason for the team playing poorly, i've got good news for you.

He didn't make that argument.
Agree, team isn't good enough

Reaction Score
On a similar note, I really think the last title team partially won because the rigors of the tournament were comparable with their first year in the AAC and their vets were prepared.
Don't quite agree, we played in Buffalo and NYC before Dallas, not exactly long trips.

Reaction Score
Don't quite agree, we played in Buffalo and NYC before Dallas, not exactly long trips.

I realize that the travel wasn't far, I was only commenting that the AAC road schedule battle tested them or, in other words, they were used to the routine of travel and it didn't affect their concentration.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Was I the only one who thought this would be about Mike’s terrible luck with airports?

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Weird time to write this article, after playing the one local school in our conference.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom