Anthony Sherman a pro bowl snub again | The Boneyard

Anthony Sherman a pro bowl snub again

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Just disgusting don't know what this guy needs to do to get in.

Reaction Score
Every year.
Thanks - honestly didn't know and thought that might be a contributing challenge to not being picked. Guess the Sherminator will just need to continue impressing people and he'll get his pro bowl recognition in time.

Reaction Score
Just disgusting don't know what this guy needs to do to get in.

I'm as big of a Shermanator fan as the next guy - but his overall stats don't compare to Reece and Kuhn. AS is arguably a Top 10 FB in the league w/ his blocking skills.

Maybe if Green Bay makes the Super Bowl and Kuhn is out - he gets a call if Raven's Juszczyk passes.

His time will come...

Reaction Score
Huskymedic, I have to disagree with your assessment completely. Not sure what "stats" you are using, but the ones to use for FB's certainly aren't yards and TD's. The idea that Kuhn is a Pro Bowl-caliber FB these days is based purely on reputation. He isn't a top 5 FB anymore in the NFL.

Pro Football Focus (PFF) does, in my opinion and many others, the most comprehensive week- by-week player evaluations that go far beyond the box score.

The past two seasons, they have graded out Sherman as the top overall FB in the entire NFL. This year, they had this to say:

"Two years on the bounce for Sherman who has gone from afterthought in Arizona to the league’s best fullback in KC."

Last year was equally impressive:

"Sherman is our top ranked pure lead blocker, and by some distance. We initially scoffed when the Chiefs brought him in but it’s been a masterstroke."

2014: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/17/2014-pff-pro-bowl-selections/
2013: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/24/pff-pro-bowl-team-2014/

I'm with the OP. This was a clear snub. Can only hope as his reputation continues to build that he will be rewarded with a Pro Bowl bid in the near future. More importantly, here's hoping he stays healthy and well paid!

Reaction Score
Sherman is the anti-pro bowl/all-star type player. These games are played at half speed. Anthony does everything at full speed. The only thing worse than all star game are old-timer/alumni games. Note- I do buy tickets to JC's alumni games. I buy them for the cause. I do not go. It is just not my thing. I prefer to see athletes in their prime. Not at diminished abilities.

Reaction Score
Huskymedic, I have to disagree with your assessment completely. Not sure what "stats" you are using, but the ones to use for FB's certainly aren't yards and TD's. The idea that Kuhn is a Pro Bowl-caliber FB these days is based purely on reputation. He isn't a top 5 FB anymore in the NFL.

Pro Football Focus (PFF) does, in my opinion and many others, the most comprehensive week- by-week player evaluations that go far beyond the box score.

The past two seasons, they have graded out Sherman as the top overall FB in the entire NFL. This year, they had this to say:

"Two years on the bounce for Sherman who has gone from afterthought in Arizona to the league’s best fullback in KC."

Last year was equally impressive:

"Sherman is our top ranked pure le er, and by some distance. We initially scoffed when the Chiefs brought him in but it’s been a masterstroke."

2014: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2014/12/17/2014-pff-pro-bowl-selections/
2013: https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2013/12/24/pff-pro-bowl-team-2014/

I'm with the OP. This was a clear snub. Can only hope as his reputation continues to build that he will be rewarded with a Pro Bowl bid in the near future. More importantly, here's hoping he stays healthy and well paid!

I noticed that there was an incorrect link to the NFL.com stat page for Anthony in my original post - corrected here. Yards and TDs are just two of the metrics used in gauging performance for fullbacks. It's also difficult position for the casual fan (and mainstream media) to evaluate the other factors such as the blocking grades - which are not well published. AS has done a phenomenal job opening holes for Charles the last two years and is more than solid on special teams (and rewarded w/ his new contract). The problem is the Pro Bowl is just as much a popularity contest as anything else and an unglamorous position as FB is not going to get the attention it deserves.

I agree that after 9 years Kuhn is on the downslope and running more on reputation (and team cachet). I 100% agree that AS is undervalued as a FB. He just needs to keep building the resume...

Reaction Score
Agree with your assessment about a continued need to build the resume with AS, but you seem to discount the fact that there IS a great organization that evaluates the position for factors such as blocking grades as well or better than anyone, PFF. A premium membership would show the detailed blocking grades per game for AS and how it compares to all others in the league at his position. They grade AS as the best FB in the NFL. Two straight years as the best FB in the game deserves a Pro Bowl.

As long as fans and players play a big role in voting, someone like AS will have a tough time getting elected until his mainstream reputation matches his performance the last two years. Think we're in 100% agreement on that.

Reaction Score
I noticed that there was an incorrect link to the NFL.com stat page for Anthony in my original post - corrected here. Yards and TDs are just two of the metrics used in gauging performance for fullbacks. It's also difficult position for the casual fan (and mainstream media) to evaluate the other factors such as the blocking grades - which are not well published. AS has done a phenomenal job opening holes for Charles the last two years and is more than solid on special teams (and rewarded w/ his new contract). The problem is the Pro Bowl is just as much a popularity contest as anything else and an unglamorous position as FB is not going to get the attention it deserves.

I agree that after 9 years Kuhn is on the downslope and running more on reputation (and team cachet). I 100% agree that AS is undervalued as a FB. He just needs to keep building the resume...

Sorry if this is piling on you, huskymedic, but only in terms of the pro-bowl being purely a popularity contest is AS not the best FB in the NFL. He is far and away the most effective lead-blocking FB and in terms of value per snap (blocking, rushing, 0r receiving) He is still the best overall FB in the NFL. PFF is just one source for this. True NFL guys (analysts and broadcasters) agree. In every Chiefs game I've ever seen, there are multiple times where the color guy specifically highlights AS and guys like Mayock will often definitively say he is the best in the business.
I think it comes down to this:

- Is AS the best receiving FB? no, probably Reece
- Is AS the fastest FB? No, again Reece
- Is AS the best rushing FB? No, probably Tolbert
- IS AS the best pass blocking FB? No, probably Kuhn
But what percentage of the time is a fullback asked to do those things? Very, very rarely. You are talking about probably less that 10% of plays involving the fullback. Across the league, the vast majority of the time the fullback is asked to run block.

- Is AS the best run blocking FB? Far and away Yes
- Is AS the best impact blocking (i.e. the quality and power of each block) FB? Definitively Yes. On running plays, Sherman is basically the 6th lineman. He routinely destroys the top LBs and DBs in the league.

-Is AS the most effective FB in other areas of the game (i.e. Special teams)? Yes.

He should have at least made the pro-bowl as a special teams guy. He has 13 special teams tackles (2nd in the NFL) and 4(!!!!!) forced fumbles. Only Ryan Kerrigan and Robert Quinn have more with 5 and both of those guys are full time defensive players. Think about that!! He has as many or more forced fumbles than all but 2 of the hundreds of defensive players in the NFL. And he has done that in 220 total ST plays. By comparison, the most plays (Def and ST combined) in the league are Michael Jenkins-Eagles (top DB with 1258 total plays), Preston Brown-Bills (top LB with 1138 total plays), and JJ Watt-Texans (top DL with 1071 total plays).

For Sherman to not make the Pro-bowl for FB or ST is nothing short of an absolute snub and simply a popularity thing.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sorry if this is piling on you, huskymedic...

Not piling on... good discussion and points.

Agree on ST - Not sure who he would have bumped off ST tho - ?Bethel (2x) or Slater (4x?)

(and it is good to be able to have a discussion about a UConn Alum being legitimately bypassed for the Pro Bowl)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom