Anthony Harris decommits from Virginia Tech | The Boneyard

Anthony Harris decommits from Virginia Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I remember us being in on him before we secured Gaffney. I believe both he and Gaffney are combo guards so I wonder if Hurley would take him or wait for another guard in next years class. The talent though would be a significant upgrade if he decided to come to UConn

Reaction Score
I see these combo/point guards that continue to become available, some really good players. I know that the staff is super high on Jalen Gaffney and I'm curious if staff risks him decommitting if we double up on recruiting that position this year (the likely future point) with Gilbert still in the mix for a year or two.

Reaction Score
If CV leaves we should be. Otherwise we need bigs
We should be in this regardless if CV leaves. Talent is talent. Having one too many scoring guards is not a bad thing. Also nobody on this thread better say "BuT hE'S nOt A BaCkuP CeNTeR". I'd take this kid over a JUCO/mediocre grad transfer backup center in a heartbeat

Reaction Score
I see these combo/point guards that continue to become available, some really good players. I know that the staff is super high on Jalen Gaffney and I'm curious if staff risks him decommitting if we double up on recruiting that position this year (the likely future point) with Gilbert still in the mix for a year or two.
Gilbert could very well leave after he graduates next year. With Harris coming off an ACL surgery. Plus Bouk could easily play the 3 under Hurley. There's room for everybody.

Reaction Score
We should be in this regardless if CV leaves. Talent is talent. Having one too many scoring guards is not a bad thing. Also nobody on this thread better say "BuT hE'S nOt A BaCkuP CeNTeR". I'd take this kid over a JUCO/mediocre grad transfer backup center in a heartbeat
yeah i never understood the backup center issue. cause the way i see it, either diarra is our backup center or we have an extra schollie....

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Diarra is 6'7 on a good day. I wouldn't say he's a center.
He’s not really a PF in Hurley’s system either.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He’s not really a PF in Hurley’s system either.

Only because Hurley hasn't had any power forwards. Give him Jeff Adrien and I think he'd be perfectly happy. Reports on Diarra was that he had surprised Hurley with his effective mid-range jump shot in practice. That's all he needs.

That said, I doubt he's healthy enough.

Reaction Score
Only because Hurley hasn't had any power forwards. Give him Jeff Adrien and I think he'd be perfectly happy. Reports on Diarra was that he had surprised Hurley with his effective mid-range jump shot in practice. That's all he needs.

That said, I doubt he's healthy enough.
Hurley has said he likes to play 4 out 1 in on offense. Whaley and Diarra are both 4s that cant play on the perimeter at all.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley has said he likes to play 4 out 1 in on offense. Whaley and Diarra are both 4s that cant play on the perimeter at all.

Show me the quote. All I see are sports writers assuming he wants that because he played that way at URI. Since then he made very clear this season that he needs a bigger, stronger team than he thought to win in this league. You cannot play small at the 4 in this league. Here's what he said about Diarra.

Mamadou Diarra (Redshirt Sophomore)

“Mo is a guy who can really help us at that [power forward] spot. It’s a real problem area and Mo is a guy who can really fit that mold for us, an undersized butt-kicker but has got a little better skill than you probably think. He’s actually way ahead in his rehab [from knee surgery], you may see him in early December.”

Reaction Score
Show me the quote. All I see are sports writers assuming he wants that because he played that way at URI. Since then he made very clear this season that he needs a bigger, stronger team than he thought to win in this league. You cannot play small at the 4 in this league. Here's what he said about Diarra.

Mamadou Diarra (Redshirt Sophomore)

“Mo is a guy who can really help us at that [power forward] spot. It’s a real problem area and Mo is a guy who can really fit that mold for us, an undersized butt-kicker but has got a little better skill than you probably think. He’s actually way ahead in his rehab [from knee surgery], you may see him in early December.”
I believe he talked about it on this podcast.

How many minutes did the two traditional PFs on the roster see this year? Almost none. We also signed Akok and are going after another stretch 4. I just don't think he was able to recruit those types to URI.
This was covered a bit on the UConn Pod with URI beat writer Bill Koch. Starts at about 44:52.

Reaction Score
Akok should gives us the best of both worlds. Long enough for the 4 spot but also the ability to stretch the floor.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
We have three guards who will play the point and one is constantly injured. If we can get him and 2 bigs we should

Reaction Score
From what I’ve seen, below average defensive rebounder and above average offensive rebounded. But compared to Polley that’s still a huge improvement. From what I can tell Polley was dead last among PF in DReb% in the entire country.

It's kind of funny/scary but the only rebounds I even remember Polley getting this season were offensive and I watched just about every game besides the Houston one at the end.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom