Ansonia vs Ledyard Replay | The Boneyard

Ansonia vs Ledyard Replay

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Dylan Vano (SR) 6'5, 275 he's been in contact with UConn and camped there, as well as BC, last summer. He would love to play for the Huskies, I talk to his dad everyday. He's very athletic and agile for a big kid. Still has a lot of room to grow, physically (projected to be 6'7). He reminds me a lot of former UConn (OL) Mike Hick (Seymour, CT), but more athletic. I don't know UConn's level of interest but the kid has a couple things going for him. He's a very good student, has the necessary test scores, and will pass through Clearinghouse. He's also a young senior, he won't turn 18 until next year. So, he could RS or prep for a year. He can play any line position and is a long snapper as well. He has the frame to add at least another 35Lbs. He has some FBS schools interested, a lot of D2, and a few D3. He's definitely a scholarship kid, IMO. Has a lot of upside and is good friends with Montrell Dobbs. He's hoping to send his film to UConn soon.

MTHusky

UCONN Grad class of 1970, living in Brookings OR
Reaction Score
Ansonia 38-0. Sophomore (RB) Arkeel Newsome carried 42 times for 364 yards and 3 TDs, but Ansonia's defense was the difference in the game holding Ledyard to less then 150 yards of total offense. Ledyard had 51 yards of total offense and 4 first downs through the first 42 minutes of play.

I'm a class of '91 grad. My mother graduated in '66, a became an educator there for over 35 years.

Keith Soldra

MTHusky

Reaction Score
Thanks for the info! Mind sharing your mom maiden name, I might have known her?

Reaction Score
Ansonia 38-0. Sophomore (RB) Arkeel Newsome carried 42 times for 364 yards and 3 TDs, but Ansonia's defense was the difference in the game holding Ledyard to less then 150 yards of total offense. Ledyard had 51 yards of total offense and 4 first downs through the first 42 minutes of play.

I'm a class of '91 grad. My mother graduated in '66, a became an educator there for over 35 years.

Keith Soldra

I might get excited about this kid Arkeel but then I would remember that we've never recruited a kid from Ansonia that could actually get themselves eligible. Ansonia, great football but apparently terrible academics.

MTHusky

Reaction Score
I might get excited about this kid Arkeel but then I would remember that we've never recruited a kid from Ansonia that could actually get themselves eligible. Ansonia, great football but apparently terrible academics.
Hey, I resemble that!

Reaction Score
That's not entirely true. The recent track record of academic issues with Ansonia kids is clearly evident. I can't argue with that. However, there have been many Ansonia kids who have gone on to be contributors at UConn. Luke Richmond (QB) is probably the most recent to achieve success, but UConn Football history is littered with some great Ansonia alums. To completely shut that door, given the talent that exists there, would be silly. The UConn coaching staff clearly has to be cautious with all recruits, not just Ansonia kids. Unfortunately, academic issues are prevalent throughout the nation. It would be unfair to pigeon-hole all Ansonia football players based on a select few, namely Tinney and Kuraczea. The Dobbs situation is still a question mark at this point. He did what he was asked to do academically. Yes, it should have been addressed earlier in his time at Ansonia, not just his senior year, but he was eligible to play throughout high school, and did very well academically at Milford Academy. He and his family believed he would qualify and enroll in January. Based on how little the HC at Ansonia gets paid, it shouldn't be his job to make sure the kid is taking the right classes, that's why the school has Guidance Counselors with hefty salaries. It's on the player and his parent(s)/guardian(s), along with the cooperation of the Guidance Office, to make sure he's following the guidelines of the Clearinghouse. Either way, it is still somewhat unclear what the issue is and whether it can be corrected. Dobbs is no longer listed on the Marshall board and is said to be mulling his options. He could still be a Husky. So, in all honesty the academic cloud that is cast over Ansonia High School football players is unfairly the result of the two most recent top-notch recruits....Just two.

Reaction Score
That's not entirely true. The recent track record of academic issues with Ansonia kids is clearly evident. I can't argue with that. However, there have been many Ansonia kids who have gone on to be contributors at UConn. Luke Richmond (QB) is probably the most recent to achieve success, but UConn Football history is littered with some great Ansonia alums. To completely shut that door, given the talent that exists there, would be silly. The UConn coaching staff clearly has to be cautious with all recruits, not just Ansonia kids. Unfortunately, academic issues are prevalent throughout the nation. It would be unfair to pigeon-hole all Ansonia football players based on a select few, namely Tinney and Kuraczea. The Dobbs situation is still a question mark at this point. He did what he was asked to do academically. Yes, it should have been addressed earlier in his time at Ansonia, not just his senior year, but he was eligible to play throughout high school, and did very well academically at Milford Academy. He and his family believed he would qualify and enroll in January. Based on how little the HC at Ansonia gets paid, it shouldn't be his job to make sure the kid is taking the right classes, that's why the school has Guidance Counselors with hefty salaries. It's on the player and his parent(s)/guardian(s), along with the cooperation of the Guidance Office, to make sure he's following the guidelines of the Clearinghouse. Either way, it is still somewhat unclear what the issue is and whether it can be corrected. Dobbs is no longer listed on the Marshall board and is said to be mulling his options. He could still be a Husky. So, in all honesty the academic cloud that is cast over Ansonia High School football players is unfairly the result of the two most recent top-notch recruits....Just two.

I guess you're correct, I'm just referring to the last 3 that we've recruited. The two that you mentioned and Dobbs. All had talent and none worked out. Hope things work out with Dobbs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom