Ansonia #1 | The Boneyard

Ansonia #1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ansonia swept the final state football polls. Ansonia was voted #1 in the Hartford Courant State poll. They received 21 of 28 first-place votes in the New Haven Register Media poll and 9 of 13 in The Day Coaches poll to finish as the states top team. It's Ansonia fifth #1 finish, most in state history.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
While I don't feel Ansonia is the best team in the state (I don't think they would beat any of the other champions, but there is another thread on this), they are the only unbeaten team in the state and only played one close game (Seymour), congrats to them on an outstanding season.

Reaction Score
While I don't feel Ansonia is the best team in the state (I don't think they would beat any of the other champions, but there is another thread on this), they are the only unbeaten team in the state and only played one close game (Seymour), congrats to them on an outstanding season.
I agree, and Ansonia needs to start playing some OOC games against the stronger FCIAC and SCC teams, like those two conferences do with each other, if they really want to legitimize their year after year standings in the state poll. I'd also like to see a final 4 team playoff between the 4 class (S, M, L, LL) champions.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I agree, and Ansonia needs to start playing some OOC games against the stronger FCIAC and SCC teams, like those two conferences do with each other, if they really want to legitimize their year after year standings in the state poll. I'd also like to see a final 4 team playoff between the 4 class (S, M, L, LL) champions.
Most schools have no OOC games. In the years that there are 11 regular season games, they are allowed one. New Canaan didnt choose who they played last year. They were told they are playing Hand by the FCIAC. The NVL had a challenge with the SWC and Ansonia was told they are playing Masuk.

Reaction Score
Most schools have no OOC games. In the years that there are 11 regular season games, they are allowed one. New Canaan didnt choose who they played last year. They were told they are playing Hand by the FCIAC. The NVL had a challenge with the SWC and Ansonia was told they are playing Masuk.

Not so in the FCIAC this past year, almost every school in the league had an OOC game, and almost all of them were with an SCC team.

Reaction Score
Not so in the FCIAC this past year, almost every school in the league had an OOC game, and almost all of them were with an SCC team.
2013 and 2014 was/are 11-game seasons based on the CIAC Fall Sports calendar. 2015 will go back to a 10-game season. The FCIAC/SCC will play again in 2014, as will the NVL/SWC. Those match ups were created because the leagues are similar in school (class) size and the number of participating schools in the competing leagues. It makes sense. The schools were slotted based on their league record over a two-year period. Therefore, Ansonia (best record in the NVL) played Masuk (best record in the SWC). I believe next year Ansonia will face Newtown. In a 10-game season, the NVL does not allow it's participating schools to play outside the conference because they want them playing within the league. Although, I can tell you Ansonia has tried. I was on the staff. They've even threaten to leave the league in the past. However, they do not have the student population, the athletic budget, or the other sports that other conferences do. Therefore, they don't fit in the FCIAC or the SCC. A conference change involves much more then just football. However, Ansonia has still tried to play OCC games. I know for a fact, after finishing 13-0 in 2006, a call was made to Greenwich High School to schedule a football game in 2007. Ansonia (who finished #1 in 2006) and Greenwich, both returned very good teams. Greenwich never returned the call. Instead they agreed to play Naples High School, in Naples, FL. I can't blame them. They had the resources and it was a great opportunity. Furthermore, it's a no-win for large schools to play Ansonia. If they win, they're suppose to and it doesn't benefit them in terms of playoff points. If they lose, Ansonia get 130 points for beating a LL school plus bonuses and they have to hear about it for years to come. Incidentally, Greenwich lost, to Naples 31-12, and their #1 ranking. While, Ansonia rolled through the season and into the Class S final. They faced Jack Cochran's New London team, led by Jordan Reed (Florida/Washington Redskins). Ansonia was big up front that year, New London was bigger and they were also the states highest scoring team. That was the game everyone picked Ansonia to lose. Jack Cochran himself went on record, that his team was 4 TDs better then Ansonia. Ansonia (13-0) physically dominated New London, winning 35-0, and secured back-to-back #1 seasons. Alex Thomas (Yale/Thonon les Bains) carried 54 times for 240 yards, 3 TDs. Greenwich (12-1), who beat Shelton 28-14 for the Class LL title, finished #2. This argument has been going on since the CIAC playoffs began in 1976. The one constant during that time is that Ansonia has consistently been a playoff contender. What many people forget is that there was a time when Ansonia played an independent schedule, and the NVL was a powerhouse league. Ansonia has always sought a challenge. They are the only team that has ever opted to play up in class, when it was allowed ('78, Amity 35-20 and '80, Newington 28-14). Although, they lost both, including putting their 36-game winning streak on the line in '78, they were competitive in both. Ansonia played Shelton every year when they were in the Housatonic League. Ansonia dominated the series 53-10-4, before Shelton moved to the SCC. Unfortunately, Ansonia's only way to prove it's worth is in the pre-season. While other schools line up cupcakes. Ansonia locks horns with LL and L schools, to prepare themselves. Although it's a scrimmage, anyone who has ventured out to the Ansonia/West Haven tilt annually, can attest....it's a WAR....the media and coaches pay close attention to that one. The Shelton scrimmage, not so much anymore. Both teams have had key players injured, even lost for the season, following that one. So, the head coaches have had starters sit that one out the past few seasons. The point is this, Ansonia doesn't have to legitimize their rank year-after-year. Their history speaks for itself.

Most Wins -- 760 (760-234-57) New Britain is the only other team over 700 wins.
Most undefeated seasons -- 18 (1900, 36, 43, 65, 76, 77, 79, 83, 89 94, 95, 2002, 03, 06, 07, 11, 12, 13) New Britain and Hand are next at eight (8).
Most CIAC State Titles -- 19 Hand and St. Joe's are next at eleven (11).
Most State Title Appearances -- 27 Hand has nineteen (19).
Most Semi-Final Appearances -- 18 New Canaan has fourteen (14).

Unless the CIAC agrees to an Open Division, this argument will continue to be a hot-button topic for years to come.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
2013 and 2014 was/are 11-game seasons based on the CIAC Fall Sports calendar. 2015 will go back to a 10-game season. The FCIAC/SCC will play again in 2014, as will the NVL/SWC. Those match ups were created because the leagues are similar in school (class) size and the number of participating schools in the competing leagues. It makes sense. The schools were slotted based on their league record over a two-year period. Therefore, Ansonia (best record in the NVL) played Masuk (best record in the SWC). I believe next year Ansonia will face Newtown. In a 10-game season, the NVL does not allow it's participating schools to play outside the conference because they want them playing within the league. Although, I can tell you Ansonia has tried. I was on the staff. They've even threaten to leave the league in the past. However, they do not have the student population, the athletic budget, or the other sports that other conferences do. Therefore, they don't fit in the FCIAC or the SCC. A conference change involves much more then just football. However, Ansonia has still tried to play OCC games. I know for a fact, after finishing 13-0 in 2006, a call was made to Greenwich High School to schedule a football game in 2007. Ansonia (who finished #1 in 2006) and Greenwich, both returned very good teams. Greenwich never returned the call. Instead they agreed to play Naples High School, in Naples, FL. I can't blame them. They had the resources and it was a great opportunity. Furthermore, it's a no-win for large schools to play Ansonia. If they win, they're suppose to and it doesn't benefit them in terms of playoff points. If they lose, Ansonia get 130 points for beating a LL school plus bonuses and they have to hear about it for years to come. Incidentally, Greenwich lost, to Naples 31-12, and their #1 ranking. While, Ansonia rolled through the season and into the Class S final. They faced Jack Cochran's New London team, led by Jordan Reed (Florida/Washington Redskins). Ansonia was big up front that year, New London was bigger and they were also the states highest scoring team. That was the game everyone picked Ansonia to lose. Jack Cochran himself went on record, that his team was 4 TDs better then Ansonia. Ansonia (13-0) physically dominated New London, winning 35-0, and secured back-to-back #1 seasons. Alex Thomas (Yale/Thonon les Bains) carried 54 times for 240 yards, 3 TDs. Greenwich (12-1), who beat Shelton 28-14 for the Class LL title, finished #2. This argument has been going on since the CIAC playoffs began in 1976. The one constant during that time is that Ansonia has consistently been a playoff contender. What many people forget is that there was a time when Ansonia played an independent schedule, and the NVL was a powerhouse league. Ansonia has always sought a challenge. They are the only team that has ever opted to play up in class, when it was allowed ('78, Amity 35-20 and '80, Newington 28-14). Although, they lost both, including putting their 36-game winning streak on the line against, they were competitive in both. Ansonia played Shelton every year when they were in the Housatonic League. Ansonia dominated the series 53-10-4, before Shelton moved to the SCC. Unfortunately, Ansonia's only way to prove it's worth is in the pre-season. While other schools line up cupcakes. Ansonia locks horns with LL and L schools, to prepare themselves. Although it's a scrimmage, anyone who has ventured out to the Ansonia/West Haven tilt annually, can attest....it's a WAR....the media and coaches pay close attention to that one. The Shelton scrimmage, not so much anymore. Both teams have had key players injured, even lost for the season, following that one. So, the head coaches have had starters sit that one out the past few seasons. The point is this, Ansonia doesn't have to legitimize their rank year-after-year. Their history speaks for itself.

Most undefeated seasons -- 18 (1900, 36, 43, 65, 76, 77, 79, 83, 89 94, 95, 2002, 03, 06, 07, 11, 12, 13) New Britain and Hand are next at eight (8).

Unless the CIAC agrees to an Open Division, this argument will continue to be a hot-button topic for years to come.
Kris...question for you since you were on the staff at Ansoina. What would your opinion be if the CIAC adopted the NJ or PA off season team activity rules...allowing organized team activities year around. DO you think it would improve the HS product in CT or would it stay the same?

Reaction Score
Kris...question for you since you were on the staff at Ansoina. What would your opinion be if the CIAC adopted the NJ or PA off season team activity rules...allowing organized team activities year around. DO you think it would improve the HS product in CT or would it stay the same?
It would hurt the depth of all sports. You know there are coaches out there who would force kids to quit other sports to help their team. In my opinion CT doesn't have large enough student bodies to cover the shortages. Now, add in the fact that many school districts have gone to the pay to play system to help elevate the cost of HS athletics to the towns. The PtP system has hurt the depth in many smaller school districts. Many families simply can't afford to have their kids play 2-3 different sports in a school year.

Reaction Score
I'm an FCIAC guy and I blame the NVL and their lazy AD's for not allowing atleast one OOC contest per year.
When Joe Frager (the Fairfield women's basketball coach) was at Seymour he won 60+ straight games and won a few state championships with Maria Conlan.
He was telling a bunch of us how he proposed a new schedule that would allow for OOC games. Therefore, the good teams can schedule up and the weak teams could schedule some teams that they have a chance to beat. But the NVL nixed it. They are run by stubborn old men who don't like change for the good.

Reaction Score
It would hurt the depth of all sports. You know there are coaches out there who would force kids to quit other sports to help their team. In my opinion CT doesn't have large enough student bodies to cover the shortages. Now, add in the fact that many school districts have gone to the pay to play system to help elevate the cost of HS athletics to the towns. The PtP system has hurt the depth in many smaller school districts. Many families simply can't afford to have their kids play 2-3 different sports in a school year.
Totally agree with Oxford Bob's statement. In general though, I think we see the same teams at the top of the polls every year because the core group of those teams are together year-round anyway...in weightlifting, camps, and 7 v 7s.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here is the final tri-state small school Top 15 football poll compiled by MSG….cudos to St Joes for making #3 amongst all the powerhouse small schools in NJ.

http://www.msgvarsity.com/tri-state-small-schools-top-15-final-poll-12-17-13-1.1550211

Reaction Score
2013 and 2014 was/are 11-game seasons based on the CIAC Fall Sports calendar. 2015 will go back to a 10-game season. The FCIAC/SCC will play again in 2014, as will the NVL/SWC. Those match ups were created because the leagues are similar in school (class) size and the number of participating schools in the competing leagues. It makes sense. The schools were slotted based on their league record over a two-year period. Therefore, Ansonia (best record in the NVL) played Masuk (best record in the SWC). I believe next year Ansonia will face Newtown. In a 10-game season, the NVL does not allow it's participating schools to play outside the conference because they want them playing within the league. Although, I can tell you Ansonia has tried. I was on the staff. They've even threaten to leave the league in the past. However, they do not have the student population, the athletic budget, or the other sports that other conferences do. Therefore, they don't fit in the FCIAC or the SCC. A conference change involves much more then just football. However, Ansonia has still tried to play OCC games. I know for a fact, after finishing 13-0 in 2006, a call was made to Greenwich High School to schedule a football game in 2007. Ansonia (who finished #1 in 2006) and Greenwich, both returned very good teams. Greenwich never returned the call. Instead they agreed to play Naples High School, in Naples, FL. I can't blame them. They had the resources and it was a great opportunity. Furthermore, it's a no-win for large schools to play Ansonia. If they win, they're suppose to and it doesn't benefit them in terms of playoff points. If they lose, Ansonia get 130 points for beating a LL school plus bonuses and they have to hear about it for years to come. Incidentally, Greenwich lost, to Naples 31-12, and their #1 ranking. While, Ansonia rolled through the season and into the Class S final. They faced Jack Cochran's New London team, led by Jordan Reed (Florida/Washington Redskins). Ansonia was big up front that year, New London was bigger and they were also the states highest scoring team. That was the game everyone picked Ansonia to lose. Jack Cochran himself went on record, that his team was 4 TDs better then Ansonia. Ansonia (13-0) physically dominated New London, winning 35-0, and secured back-to-back #1 seasons. Alex Thomas (Yale/Thonon les Bains) carried 54 times for 240 yards, 3 TDs. Greenwich (12-1), who beat Shelton 28-14 for the Class LL title, finished #2. This argument has been going on since the CIAC playoffs began in 1976. The one constant during that time is that Ansonia has consistently been a playoff contender. What many people forget is that there was a time when Ansonia played an independent schedule, and the NVL was a powerhouse league. Ansonia has always sought a challenge. They are the only team that has ever opted to play up in class, when it was allowed ('78, Amity 35-20 and '80, Newington 28-14). Although, they lost both, including putting their 36-game winning streak on the line in '78, they were competitive in both. Ansonia played Shelton every year when they were in the Housatonic League. Ansonia dominated the series 53-10-4, before Shelton moved to the SCC. Unfortunately, Ansonia's only way to prove it's worth is in the pre-season. While other schools line up cupcakes. Ansonia locks horns with LL and L schools, to prepare themselves. Although it's a scrimmage, anyone who has ventured out to the Ansonia/West Haven tilt annually, can attest....it's a WAR....the media and coaches pay close attention to that one. The Shelton scrimmage, not so much anymore. Both teams have had key players injured, even lost for the season, following that one. So, the head coaches have had starters sit that one out the past few seasons. The point is this, Ansonia doesn't have to legitimize their rank year-after-year. Their history speaks for itself.

Regarding most undefeated seasons, it's worth noting that Ansonia and New Britain have been playing football for roughly 70 more years than Hand.

Reaction Score
I'm an FCIAC guy and I blame the NVL and their lazy AD's for not allowing atleast one OOC contest per year.
When Joe Frager (the Fairfield women's basketball coach) was at Seymour he won 60+ straight games and won a few state championships with Maria Conlan.
He was telling a bunch of us how he proposed a new schedule that would allow for OOC games. Therefore, the good teams can schedule up and the weak teams could schedule some teams that they have a chance to beat. But the NVL nixed it. They are run by stubborn old men who don't like change for the good.

You rarely see OOC games in CT football unless there is an 11 game season. All of the conferences are too big and choose to keep most of the games within the conference. Back in the day before the super conferences gobbled all the teams up you had much more creativity and freedom of scheduling. To blame it all on lazy NVL AD's is idiotic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom