Another Updated ESPN Way Too Early Top 25 | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Another Updated ESPN Way Too Early Top 25

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Just in case anyone else is interested in refreshing their memory, the final score in this game was 74-46 :D

tech.gif

Technical foul on Plebe. Referee review might be upgraded to a Flagrant 2. :(

Reaction Score
Just thinking on the account of Tennessee and this particular claim:

"Point guard Jasmine Powell (Minnesota), forwards Rickea Jackson (Mississippi State) and Jasmine Franklin (Missouri State) and 6-5 center Jillian Hollingshead (Georgia) would start for many teams in the country...".

My initial response was "Could they really?" Would these be mid-major teams? Perhaps Rickea Jackson could get substantial minutes at a top 25 team. But would the others be more than rotation players? How does that help them. Tennessee already has plenty of those, once you look past Horston and Key. The problem for Tennessee recently has been weak recruiting. Pissot is an exception, and may be the only bright spot, though I don't think she can really play the pg. They better hope Powell can translate Minnesota skills to the big show and give some needed support to Walker.
Similar to UConn, the cool thing about Tennessee is we will probably find out a bit about them early in the season. They start the season against Ohio State, UMass, and Indiana. Then before conference play they play Virginia Tech and Stanford.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Similar to UConn, the cool thing about Tennessee is we will probably find out a bit about them early in the season. They start the season against Ohio State, UMass, and Indiana. Then before conference play they play Virginia Tech and Stanford.
Tennessee will likely play either Texas or Louisville in the finals of the Battle 4 Atlantis tournament in November.

Reaction Score
Right now ESPN sees all the transfers as being big positives for their new teams. It's the usual rosy scenario that appear in college newspapers all over the country. Reality will be a shock.

Reaction Score
Yeah I noticed that too, give us no credit. Then in our evaluation, she said we surprisingly reached the championship game. With our talent year in and out and our coaches, it should never surprise anyone how far we make it.
Someone may have said this later in the thread, but M.A. Voepel uses the he/him pronouns

Reaction Score
Right now ESPN sees all the transfers as being big positives for their new teams. It's the usual rosy scenario that appear in college newspapers all over the country. Reality will be a shock.
It will be interesting to see, as the portal shapes rosters moving forward, how many transfers wind up being net gains for their programs. I will pick on UT given they brought in some very good players but how all that talent will mesh remains to be seen. Will that talent get the LVs over the hump back to a F4 they've missed for over a decade now?

Reaction Score
Question #5: Will Lou Lopez-Senechal's game translate from the MAAC to the national stage?

Lou, MAAC POY, isn't the only mid-major player transferring to a higher level program. Central Michigan's Molly Davis transferred to Iowa. Charlie says she'll "give Iowa yet another shooter and scorer." No questions asked.
I love your posts on this thread!

Reaction Score
Just thinking on the account of Tennessee and this particular claim:

"Point guard Jasmine Powell (Minnesota), forwards Rickea Jackson (Mississippi State) and Jasmine Franklin (Missouri State) and 6-5 center Jillian Hollingshead (Georgia) would start for many teams in the country...".

My initial response was "Could they really?" Would these be mid-major teams? Perhaps Rickea Jackson could get substantial minutes at a top 25 team. But would the others be more than rotation players? How does that help them. Tennessee already has plenty of those, once you look past Horston and Key. The problem for Tennessee recently has been weak recruiting. Pissot is an exception, and may be the only bright spot, though I don't think she can really play the pg. They better hope Powell can translate Minnesota skills to the big show and give some needed support to Walker.
Brooklyn Miles says hello if Powell can't do it .

Reaction Score
I thought Horston was the LV’s pg? :rolleyes:
Two years ago, Horston did some minutes at pg. It didn't really work out for Tenn. Horston is too good at the wing to waste as a slow pg.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Two years ago, Horston did some minutes at pg. It didn't really work out for Tenn. Horston is too good at the wing to waste as a slow pg.
TN best hope Powell can step up and assume that role. Horston is a terrific talent but shouldn't be the primary ball handler (unless they don't mind the turnovers).
Yes, we all know that Horston is not a pg. But I’m not sure that TN knows. Last season playing in only 23 games due to injury, Horston was 2nd on the team to Jordan Walker with 91 assists to Walker’s 115 in 34 games. However, Horston had an ugly A/TO ratio of less than one, leading the LV’s in TO’s by a wide margin with 105. :oops:

Horston is certainly a great talent. But she forces play at times and can make some truly questionable decisions.

Reaction Score
Point guard is a big question mark for Tennessee, Brooklyn Miles is not the answer.
Jasmine Powell Says Hello....and that's after 3 year starter Jordan Walker needs a breather lol . What Question mark ?

Reaction Score
TN best hope Powell can step up and assume that role. Horston is a terrific talent but shouldn't be the primary ball handler (unless they don't mind the turnovers).
Why ? Lol Jordan Walker has been the Starting PG the last 2 years and shes returning this year using the covid exemption for year 3 lol . PG will be fine .

Reaction Score
Very poor perimeter shooting and an A/TO ratio that barely exceeds 1.
Overall she is experienced and that will pay a lot of dividends for a team like Tennessee this year. A lot of team's do not have the luxury of experienced players this year or even 3 PG's on the roster to compliment. The focus was they have ? marks at PG and my rebuttal is where because i see 3 options with a 4th option in horston in emergency situations .

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Overall she is experienced and that will pay a lot of dividends for a team like Tennessee this year. A lot of team's do not have the luxury of experienced players this year or even 3 PG's on the roster to compliment. The focus was they have ? marks at PG and my rebuttal is where because i see 3 options with a 4th option in horston in emergency situations .
Quantity Quality

Reaction Score
Quantity Quality
I think Walker and Powell will definitely be quality. If they need a floor general Walker is that lady . If they need a scoring PG Powell is that lady . If they need someone to push the pace , Miles is that lady . What other question marks would need to be answered with that type of tandem ? I have yet to mention Horston once .....Kellie's plan was obviously to keep Horston from being the primary ballhander and keep her aggressive on the wing opposite of Jackson . I think she has done a great job in the portal of securing that , whether she can make them all Gel is yet to be seen and I'm a bit skeptical myself as well with all the paper expectations . Overall they should be a contender this year if they are not its not the players fault . Uconn's roster will still be ahead of Tennessee's when the season ends in march. We need a strong Tennessee team for our SOS when seeding becomes a factor so id rather beat them as an elite team instead of a team that does not move the needle on the SOS . Same for our Big east opponents.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I think Walker and Powell will definitely be quality. If they need a floor general Walker is that lady . If they need a scoring PG Powell is that lady . If they need someone to push the pace , Miles is that lady . What other question marks would need to be answered with that type of tandem ? I have yet to mention Horston once .....Kellie's plan was obviously to keep Horston from being the primary ballhander and keep her aggressive on the wing opposite of Jackson . I think she has done a great job in the portal of securing that , whether she can make them all Gel is yet to be seen and I'm a bit skeptical myself as well with all the paper expectations . Overall they should be a contender this year if they are not its not the players fault . Uconn's roster will still be ahead of Tennessee's when the season ends in march. We need a strong Tennessee team for our SOS when seeding becomes a factor so id rather beat them as an elite team instead of a team that does not move the needle on the SOS . Same for our Big east opponents.
Nah. Not buying it.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom