Another terrible first half+ for Hurley. | The Boneyard

Another terrible first half+ for Hurley.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Last 15 minutes of the second half was much better. He stopped doing the same stuff he was doing in the first half.

Very happy we pulled out the win but being happy with the performance leads to games like PC and almost every first half this season

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Without a timeout taken

Gaffney was absolutely brutal when he came in to game in first half. Had no control of the game or players on the floor. Just 5 guys running around.

Reaction Score
Without a timeout taken

Some guys are old school. Hurley said in the post game that the team lost all its mojo after the first substitution and struggled getting back into rhthym. Its a difference in philosophy. With the game still close, some coaches believe in playing through it rather than call a TO. Tomato, tomato. Can easily argue both sides.
What I don't get on this board is the constant vitriol for our coach. We seem to love to pick him a part and ignore the fact that in year 3 of this massive rebuild, he is right on schedule if not better. In a weird year with massive disruption and injury, he has this team positioned to make the tourney. Follow that, with massive recruiting classes. Maybe its time for this board to admit that the guy knows what he is doing and maybe we can stop microanlayzing each second of each game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Some guys are old school. Hurley said in the post game that the team lost all its mojo after the first substitution and struggled getting back into rhthym. Its a difference in philosophy. With the game still close, some coaches believe in playing through it rather than call a TO. Tomato, tomato. Can easily argue both sides.
What I don't get on this board is the constant vitriol for our coach. We seem to love to pick him a part and ignore the fact that in year 3 of this massive rebuild, he is right on schedule if not better. In a weird year with massive disruption and injury, he has this team positioned to make the tourney. Follow that, with massive recruiting classes. Maybe its time for this board to admit that the guy knows what he is doing and maybe we can stop microanlayzing each second of each game.

Yes, the philosophy of "letting them play through it" has merit.

But the outcome is supposed to be between the in game flow and post game film watching, players learn, grow and get better.

When the coach keeps "letting them play through it" and the players have shown that haven't learned from previous games, just doing the same thing as a coach and not substituting or calling TO's is poor coaching. Something, something, something doing same thing and expecting different results. It's a slap in the face to the players who built up the lead to have to sit there on the bench and watch another group piss away the results the first group attained.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I don't get too worked up about timeouts, and I think they are overemphasized afterward in evaluating how the coach did. While there was a lot of bed wetting in the chat room last night, including by many of the Hurley fanboys, I felt UConn was going to win the whole time in a large part because Georgetown isn't that good. UConn won because UConn's players are a lot better than Georgetown's players.

Reaction Score
Yes, the philosophy of "letting them play through it" has merit.

But the outcome is supposed to be between the in game flow and post game film watching, players learn, grow and get better.

When the coach keeps "letting them play through it" and the players have shown that haven't learned from previous games, just doing the same thing as a coach and not substituting or calling TO's is poor coaching. Something, something, something doing same thing and expecting different results. It's a slap in the face to the players who built up the lead to have to sit there on the bench and watch another group piss away the results the first group attained.
I hear you. I certainly can't argue against a TO either. A lot of these coaches are set in their beliefs. I don't think that is specific to Hurley.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
I don't get too worked up about timeouts, and I think they are overemphasized afterward in evaluating how the coach did. While there was a lot of bed wetting in the chat room last night, including by many of the Hurley fanboys, I felt UConn was going to win the whole time in a large part because Georgetown isn't that good. UConn won because UConn's players are a lot better than Georgetown's players.
Wasting our talent by almost losing to Georgetown’s crew of flunkies was a-ok because of Nelson’s man crush on Josh Carlton. Got it.

Reaction Score
UConn was going to win the whole time in a large part because Georgetown isn't that good.

Wasting our talent by almost losing to Georgetown’s crew of flunkies

JFC. Georgetown has beaten Creighton, SJU, & Hall. We haven't. WTF does that make us then? Don't answer please, because your answers will be just as doofus-ish as these previous posts.

Most wouldn't have predicted the BY would get exponentially worse with the departure of a certain somebody, but yet, it has.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
Masterpiece by Hurley, far far far more accurate

Hate is unhealthy and blinding. If you're going to hate this much, you're going to be miserable for at least the next 20 years

Learn to live, learn to enjoy life, learn to make the best of the situation...

And yes, there will be bumps in the road, that's life

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
No one is arguing what I bolded. What we're "microanalyzing" is that fact that you can state with fact what is going to happen in the first half of every game. We either blow a massive lead and do nothing to stop the comeback. Or we get down by a lot and do nothing to mount a comeback. We also put every team in the bonus with 12 minutes left in each half. It's the same thing every single game and nothing is done.

We smother our best player by bringing ten guys to the three point line, keeping him from playing his game or creating. I do like how Hurley had Bouk play point a lot last night. Polley needs to get that green light taken back and give him a yellow light. He is a much better catch and shoot player than squaring up or taking a player one on one.

Glad we got our first Sanogo dunk this year

Last edited:

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Masterpiece by Hurley, far far far more accurate

Hate is unhealthy and blinding. If you're going to hate this much, you're going to be miserable for at least the next 20 years

Learn to live, learn to enjoy life, learn to make the best of the situation...

And yes, there will be bumps in the road, that's life
Have your standards changed from Ollie to Hurley?

Reaction Score
No one is arguing what I bolded. What we're "microanalyzing" is that fact that you can state with fact what is going to happen in the first half of every game. We either blow a massive lead and do nothing to stop the comeback. Or we get down by a lot and do nothing to mount a comeback. We also put every team in the bonus with 12 minutes left in each half. It's the same thing every single game and nothing is done.

We smother our best player by bringing ten guys to the three point line, keeping him from playing his game or creating. I do like how Hurley had Bouk play point a lot last night. Polley needs to get that green light taken back and give him a yellow light. He is a much better catch and shoot player than squaring up or taking a player one on one.

Side question, has Sanogo dunked this year? Even once? He should've broken a dozen backboards already

Don't let facts get in the way of a selective-memory narrative!

GameFlows.jpg

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I am completely in favor of letting them play through it, if you have players who hold each other accountable. KEA, Kemba, Okafor, Shabazz, Caron, we've had dozens of guys like that. We are lacking leadership, a guy who is the coach on the floor and can make those adjustments for the team in the flow of the game. It's just not there. It's not Bouknight's personality, and he's only a sophomore. Martin and Cole are transfers and may feel they lack the green light to lead. Whaley just isn't good enough to be that guy. Someday I think Sanogo can be.

Martin looks like he wants to be that guy but he defers. Nobody last night was in the right place at the right time, doing the small things right more than Martin. No gaudy stats, but he bailed out teammates frequently. We need him or somebody to be the guy that stares daggers at guys who aren't giving 100% and who motivates them after two rough possessions. Cole had a nice game, but I didn't see him taking the reigns.

Reaction Score

The year in the late 70s when Penn went to the Final Four, my best friend was at Penn and I saw a number of Ivy League games at the Palestra. Bobby Weinheuer clearly came into the season with a plan which was to not once use a time out in a league game to talk to his team. He thought he had a team which was far better than the Ivy League, and they needed to learn how to pull themselves through rough spots without his help. What an idiot. That strategy didn’t allow his Penn team to beat Magic Johnson in the Final Four after he took Penn to the Final Four.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
The fact people can be happy with that performance is why we keep having these performances.
Hilarious. We won. Rather easily. The fact that “people can be happy” or pissed as hell has zero to do with how the sports administration sees Dan Hurley or how he coaches. His teams perform pretty well over the long hall. Yes they had a really brutal stretch. They also had foul trouble. Cole wasn’t so hot during that stretch either. Bouknight struggled too. Calhoun had teams that had really brutal stretches.

Reaction Score
Some coaches call time, some coaches want the players to figure it out. Play through the struggles. We won the game in the end.

Reaction Score
I went to bed about 3 minutes into the second half. To that point the game was almost unwatchable. Looked like 2 not very good jr high teams with all the bricks, turnovers fouling... just a mess. Even a couple of travels actually got called. Glad they got it together late, but as someone said Georgetown isn’t very good.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Don't let facts get in the way of a selective-memory narrative!

View attachment 64952
We scored 5 points in 8 minutes in the first half which goes with the title of the thread. Check the game flow from last night.

We got smoked by PC in the first game... Again, the first half of these games are terrible as the tweets above stated. Your pictures you use don't state how the game was played.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jjblox

Top Bottom