Another Recruiting Quote From Sue | The Boneyard

Another Recruiting Quote From Sue

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
She's a very cerebral person and so, she comes up with this.

“What he brings that is unique and special to this experience is a mentality that as WNBA players, we don’t necessarily have because we don’t live in the same world in which is: He’s on teams that are great all the time,” three-time gold U.S. medalist Sue Bird said. “He’s on teams that are expected to win by 30 and win a championship every year."

Olympic women's basketball coach Geno Auriemma wins and is expected to win

If I'm a very good high schooler aspiring to greatness ... ooops, venturing into Tony's space.

Then there is this: "Auriemma indicated he will coach at UConn for at least a few more seasons, and it sounds as if he will return to coach the U.S. women’s team if asked." What! You couldn't quote him so we could endlessly parse it??!!

Last edited:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Should Geno be asked, and should he say yes, it would be an incredible boost for at least 5 more years for UCONN as well. To be able to point to former UCONN players who have gone on to enjoy such amazing success professionally and in representing our country - and for him to be involved with that - how could it not help?!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think Geno really likes working with the other players: Catch, Seimone, Lindsay, Britney, Angel, Elena, and Sylvia. He brings out the best in them as well.
I really thought this would be his last go around. I know he loves it in part because of Sue and Dee - they KNOW how to run a team. There is no guard tandem in the world who is as good at running a team as Sue and Dee.

If one, or both, of them are not there in 4 years, he may be lucky enough to have Jefferson at the helm, which would make things easier, but if she's not, and Dee and Sue are not there, he could be looking at a quintet of guards that looks something like Sims, Loyd, McBride, Augustus and Whalen. Hopefully the waterbug would be in there but if not, it would be a far different experience for him...

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I really thought this would be his last go around. I know he loves it in part because of Sue and Dee - they KNOW how to run a team. There is no guard tandem in the world who is as good at running a team as Sue and Dee.

If one, or both, of them are not there in 4 years, he may be lucky enough to have Jefferson at the helm, which would make things easier, but if she's not, and Dee and Sue are not there, he could be looking at a quintet of guards that looks something like Sims, Loyd, McBride, Augustus and Whalen. Hopefully the waterbug would be in there but if not, it would be a far different experience for him...
True, my friend. The guard play may frustrate him. After Dee and Sue, everyone else is a step down, no disrespect to anyone. But he likes the other players too. I've seen great rapport with Angel, Seimone, and Brit, in particular. I think he may want to coach Maya and Tina just a little more. Who wouldn't? I honestly think that Diana, if healthy, will be around in 2018 and probably 2020. I think Moriah is the next floor general. She's the best PG since Sue.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
I think Geno really likes working with the other players: Catch, Seimone, Lindsay, Britney, Angel, Elena, and Sylvia. He brings out the best in them as well.

And they him. Think they are believers. This from the Golden Girl:

“Geno and I have huge respect for each other,” said Delle Donne, who has totaled 23 points in Team USA’s opening two victories in Rio. “I’m thrilled to be playing for the greatest coach in the world. To get that opportunity again and for life to come full circle, it’s pretty crazy.”

How Elena Delle Donne spurned Geno Auriemma only to reunite with him in the Olympics

And if you look at video of their practice huddle ups and side line time out talks everyone is absolutely riveted to what he's saying... other than Sue and DT, who can be seen rolling their eyes! :rolleyes:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
And they him. Think they are believers. This from the Golden Girl:

“Geno and I have huge respect for each other,” said Delle Donne, who has totaled 23 points in Team USA’s opening two victories in Rio. “I’m thrilled to be playing for the greatest coach in the world. To get that opportunity again and for life to come full circle, it’s pretty crazy.”

How Elena Delle Donne spurned Geno Auriemma only to reunite with him in the Olympics

And if you look at video of their practice huddle ups and side line time out talks everyone is absolutely riveted to what he's saying... other than Sue and DT, who can be seen rolling their eyes! :rolleyes:

This piece told me what I already knew. That Delle Donne was not on campus long enough to really get to know Geno.....2 days? I liken this to a scene from the movie Posse, where the father and the son are having a minor disagreement.
The father ends it by telling the son: "I'm 50, you're 25. You ain't never been 50"..........Touche". Elena was processing the situation from the position of a very young and naive adult, not that of a mature and seasoned athletic coach.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
True, my friend. The guard play may frustrate him. After Dee and Sue, everyone else is a step down, no disrespect to anyone. But he likes the other players too. I've seen great rapport with Angel, Seimone, and Brit, in particular. I think he may want to coach Maya and Tina just a little more. Who wouldn't? I honestly think that Diana, if healthy, will be around in 2018 and probably 2020. I think Moriah is the next floor general. She's the best PG since Sue.
Dee & Sue are all time greats of course anyone else is going to be a step down. Someone will step up and fill the void as long as Geno is coaching. It might be Moriah, Skylar, Odyssey, Kmac, or Jewell. Think of it this way, did you envision Angel and Seimone playing as well as they are at the Olympic level. Geno will fill the void. I'm just afraid of what will happen if/when he walks away.

Reaction Score
Wow, in an article about Geno, the phrase "self-deprecating" was used. Live long enough and anything can happen, though I feel as if my head's going to explode....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TNS

Top Bottom