Another reason why Andre Jackson chose UConn | The Boneyard

Another reason why Andre Jackson chose UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
In fact, UConn’s relationship with Jackson’s family played a big role in his decision to pick the Huskies over the Albany resident’s “hometown” school — Syracuse. A source close to Jackson noted that when he was truly conflicted with his decision a while ago, UConn’s staff went to his family to try to understand his concerns, while other programs went to people with the City Rocks AAU program, which has a reputation as a Syracuse feeder program.

Reaction Score
Its becoming more and more obvious that we have a staff that knows what its doing on the recruiting trail, and this story proves it. I knew Hurley would be a good recruiter, but to be honest, I thought the AAC would hold him back from his full potential here. Now, with the Big East on the horizon, the whole recruiting landscape completely changed for the better. I don’t know how people can think its not.

I also think having Tom Moore on staff is huge. He already proved himself as a good recruiter his first tour of duty at UConn, and thats only going to continue.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Its becoming more and more obvious that we have a staff that knows what its doing on the recruiting trail, and this story proves it. I knew Hurley would be a good recruiter, but to be honest, I thought the AAC would hold him back from his full potential here. Now, with the Big East on the horizon, the whole recruiting landscape completely changed for the better. I don’t know how people can think its not.

I also think having Tom Moore on staff is huge. He already proved himself as a good recruiter his first tour of duty at UConn, and thats only going to continue.
Now all that’s needed is winning. Added bonus is winning reduces whining.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
We should just keep going after Cuse recruits. We seem to have luck with that. What bigs are they after?

They already got a big. Woody Newton. But they’re still staying on Isaiah Jackson, a 5 star, 6’9” PF from Michigan.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Family over everything. Works 100% of the time.
Depends on whether a recruit is family oriented or coaches oriented regarding choosing a college bb program. If family oriented I love our chances. Dan Hurley has strong family values. He carries that over the way he treats players. It's the way he recruits. For other coaches it's a business. They'll recruit accordingly.

Reaction Score
I kind of laugh at the “hometown” angle. Syracuse is 2:14 from Albany, Storrs is 2:15. Not a big deal, just kind of funny.
Not that it matters but just to set the record straight, he goes to school in Albany but he actually lives in Amsterdam, NY as superjohn said. Amsterdam is 30 minutes west of Albany. So 2:45 to Storrs and 1:45 to Syracuse.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
But Union College and Skidmore College are the closest four-year schools to his hometown. Why didn’t he want to play for them??

Reaction Score
But Union College and Skidmore College are the closest four-year schools to his hometown. Why didn’t he want to play for them??
And Hamilton College isn't that far either. Come on, they made the NCAA Tournament last season and went to the Sweet 16. O.K. it was Division 3 but why not?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
“I play three guards, and I want them to all have interchangeable skills: be able to play in ball screens, on and off the ball, create and playmake, but also be able to score. So, when my system’s at its best, I have three guys that have the ability to do a multitude of things. In order for that to work, to play the elite teams, you’ve got to have high-level size. So, getting a guard that would have the ability to match up with a three, or the third perimeter guy for a high-level opponent, it usually has to be a 6-6, 6-7, 6-8 guy. So, that big guard’s critical. We play an athletic style, so I put a lot of value in athleticism.”

Sounds an awful lot like Andre Jackson

I can't wait for us to have the personnel to be playing Hurley ball. It is going be great basketball to watch.

Reaction Score
Now all that’s needed is winning. Added bonus is winning reduces whining.

Winning is great for us as fans, but what recruits really crave is exposure.

Teams like Virginia (6 straight NCAAT appearances, 4 ACC titles in 6 years, 3 S16's and a championship) or Villanova (5 BE titles out of 6, 2 championships) don't get nearly the hype as Kentucky, who hasn't done nearly as much winning recently.

Unfortunately, there's not much that individual programs can do about it.

That said, winning is certainly better for recruiting than losing is.

Reaction Score
He lives in Amsterdam, NY. He grew up a Cuse fan. I grew up in CT. closer to some Mass and NY towns than Storrs. CT. was always my hometown and no matter where I live I'll always be from CT.

Amsterdam is a very rough town.

It has always made quite an impression on me as you have to drive through it if you're going north toward Lake George or Vermont.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Winning is great for us as fans, but what recruits really crave is exposure.

Teams like Virginia (6 straight NCAAT appearances, 4 ACC titles in 6 years, 3 S16's and a championship) or Villanova (5 BE titles out of 6, 2 championships) don't get nearly the hype as Kentucky, who hasn't done nearly as much winning recently.

Unfortunately, there's not much that individual programs can do about it.

That said, winning is certainly better for recruiting than losing is.
Virginia and Nova are the programs we used to be. We had a scattering of five stars over the entire JC era. Sign me up to a return to that type of success. The type where the hype is at the end of the season as opposed to the beginning.

Reaction Score
Virginia and Nova are the programs we used to be. We had a scattering of five stars over the entire JC era. Sign me up to a return to that type of success. The type where the hype is at the end of the season as opposed to the beginning.

Strongly agreed.

My point is just that winning does not necessarily equate to elite recruiting, though it usually helps.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Strongly agreed.

My point is just that winning does not necessarily equate to elite recruiting, though it usually helps.

You're not wrong, but Villanova does have a top 5 class this year.

Jay Wright says he went back to historical recruiting methods after a few years of getting highly rated classes, because he found he wasn't getting his type of guys there for a while. And it paid off for him.

Reaction Score
Amsterdam is a very rough town.

It has always made quite an impression on me as you have to drive through it if you're going north toward Lake George or Vermont.
Every small city in NY State is an absolute dump from what I've seen. Not familiar with Amsterdam but Poughkeepsie, Troy, Utica, Newburgh, Monticello, Niagara Falls, Utica, Schenectady etc. are bad. NY State has a lot of natural beauty but if you didn't know any better you would think you're in Mississippi.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twdaylor104

Top Bottom