Another reason to love the APR | The Boneyard

Another reason to love the APR

Status
Not open for further replies.

caw

Reaction Score
I kind of understand why the school/coach would require this, but it's going to be a problem down the road.

Reaction Score
The FIU case in the article is pretty interesting too. I heard him speak on Goodman's radio show. He said he wanted to finish his degree, but just not at FIU and since they won't release him, he just decided to go to NBA. Wrong message being sent by the school and NCAA. If the NCAA wants to keep up their mantra of student-athletes, any other student can transfer without penalty, so why not athletes...

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I clicked the link and on the side there's a picture of Calhoun with a story headlined, of course, "UConn fading away."

I wish I knew why it would make so many of these idiots' dreams come true if we stopped being good.

Reaction Score
Maybe they should go pro, like Kentucky's kids. Won't hurt the schools APR.

Reaction Score
Yup, this isn't the least bit surprising. It's too bad the media doesn't understand the obvious contradiction between the APR and the best interests of the student-athlete.

Reaction Score
that UCONN is being "singled out" by the NCAA

Please stop. I assure you that you don't know all there is to know about this APR nonsense. If you did, you'd be frantically trying to figure out what Gerard Coleman and Ron Giplaye's gpa's are to make sure that PC doesn't end up in the exact same situation.

If you understood the way the new APR penalties are being applied, the concessions that are now being made for other schools with low prior year scores, and the complete lack of urgency to figure out how to use the more up-to-date scores to apply the penalties, it's pretty obvious that the NCAA is looking for a scalp to show how "serious they are about academics."

Reaction Score
You can't be that dumb or gutless to see and accept the reality. Just stop it indeed!

Reaction Score
that UCONN is being "singled out" by the NCAA

not one person mentioned that in this thread. work on your reading comprehension skills. The post you took unexplicable issue with simply stated Universities need to protect its APR or it will be banned from the postseason like UConn, which, I can't believe you hadn't heard yet, is a fact.

Reaction Score
I clicked the link and on the side there's a picture of Calhoun with a story headlined, of course, "UConn fading away."

I wish I knew why it would make so many of these idiots' dreams come true if we stopped being good.

They'll embrace us as a great comeback story in the future. It's what the press does all the time - take down celebrities, then build them back up. Sadly, JC will probably be gone for the next chapter.

Reaction Score
The APR is clearly a mess. it was an attempt to get at a real problem but it has clearly failed, in large part because it didn't address the problem squarely. It was a political solution, not a real one, best exemplified by the chairman of the committee meeting with a basketball coach to hear how the rules should be modified. When you have Kentucky winning the national Championship and the entire team leaving after 1 year, schools denying transfers, and all the rest, it is clear that the process is not working. I'd say at a minimum, go back tot he original plan that did not give wiavers for player who left early, but a more relaistic option would be to take 4 steps. 1. Increase the minimum standards that students need to meet to qualify; B. Penalize schools who have players leaving early for the NBA; require schools to demonstrate that students are enrolled in a minimum number of credits and are making reasonable progress toward an actual degree. 5. Penalize schools that don't graduate players on a regular basis (say in 5 years). give schools the right though to impose appropriate discipline on those students who are a danger, violate school policies, or fail to make reaosnsonable progress toward their degree, ie there should not be a penalty for a player flunking out. Universities SHOULD take that step when appropriate.

Reaction Score
The APR is clearly a mess. it was an attempt to get at a real problem but it has clearly failed, in large part because it didn't address the problem squarely. It was a political solution, not a real one, best exemplified by the chairman of the committee meeting with a basketball coach to hear how the rules should be modified. When you have Kentucky winning the national Championship and the entire team leaving after 1 year, schools denying transfers, and all the rest, it is clear that the process is not working. I'd say at a minimum, go back tot he original plan that did not give wiavers for player who left early, but a more relaistic option would be to take 4 steps. 1. Increase the minimum standards that students need to meet to qualify; B. Penalize schools who have players leaving early for the NBA; require schools to demonstrate that students are enrolled in a minimum number of credits and are making reasonable progress toward an actual degree. 5. Penalize schools that don't graduate players on a regular basis (say in 5 years). give schools the right though to impose appropriate discipline on those students who are a danger, violate school policies, or fail to make reaosnsonable progress toward their degree, ie there should not be a penalty for a player flunking out. Universities SHOULD take that step when appropriate.

Too late. The horses have left the barn.

There is no going back from the aPR fiasco. Once you've created a sham process and given it your benediction, there is no going back to a prior time when graduation or education meant something more.

This is the end of the NCAA because as this whole thing devolves, schools will move toward the SEC mentality.

They should move that way now ASAP anyway. Just have athletic programs in the big sports become for-profit entities and pay the players.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom