Another preseason team ranking NCAA top 10 | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another preseason team ranking NCAA top 10

Reaction Score
Can a person be too rich?
No. I work amongst them. I like rich.

Reaction Score
Can programs be too loaded?

UConn and SCar return pretty much everybody from Final Four teams and both add large classes of major talent with the incoming frosh. Stanford only loses one major asset and has "only" a couple of talented frosh coming in.

Question: Do the incoming frosh disrupt the chemistry that SCar and UConn teams had last March. Would a starter or 6th woman Azzi Fudd disrupt Uconn's chemistry? Would a Rivers disrupt SCar's?

This board has had a lot of discussion about spreading the minutes. Does that have a potential to disrupt chemistry? South Carolina has the two super classes of 2019 and 2021. The 2019 class has been the backbone of the team for the past two years. Does contentiousness develop between the two super classes? Does a veteran who is beloved by her teammates lose many or most of her minutes to Azzi?

Stanford has more flexibility of working a young star like Demetre into the rotation. I don't see how their chemistry will change much.

(I agree with others questioning Oregon and Baylor. I disagree with those who would put Tennessee in the Top Ten. I predict Georgia as the second best SEC team this year.)
I like Dawn, but I think her biggest weakness is managing a roster full of talent. It's not easy. I think her USA Coaching exposed some of what I see. I will be disappointed if she attempts to use these new Freshman to disrupt major minutes from her seniors and juniors. I don't believe Geno will start Azzi because he doesn't need to and there's no benefit in throwing her into that fire. This year...that isn't necessary. Don't get me wrong....she could handle it. If you look at Syracuse...Q couldn't manage minutes for all the talent he recruited...and that just snowballed into what you have now. He lost THREE 5 star recruits...actually 4.(Elmore)..and none of them hardly ever started. He was too busy trying to make others happy spreading around minutes...and lost continuity on both ends of the floor.

Reaction Score
A team can have a lot talent and not be one of the top five teams in the country. I believe that UConn will be very good but in no will they go undefeated and not be seriously challenged. Stanford and South Carolina are too talented to not seriously challenge UConn. What weaknesses do they have? UConn has South Carolina on its schedule and I believe will have to play Stanford on the way to winning the NC. I see big time challenges and not just from those two teams.
While I agree that SC and Stanford are potentially a threat, it’s difficult for me to think we are not big favorites against anyone else! Barring injury or a total no-show on the part of Azzi, Dorka, and Caroline Ducharme, I believe we will win all the other games quite handily.

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score

UConn and SCar return pretty much everybody from Final Four teams and both add large classes of major talent with the incoming frosh. Stanford only loses one major asset and has "only" a couple of talented frosh coming in.

Question: Do the incoming frosh disrupt the chemistry that SCar and UConn teams had last March. Would a starter or 6th woman Azzi Fudd disrupt Uconn's chemistry? Would a Rivers disrupt SCar's?

This board has had a lot of discussion about spreading the minutes. Does that have a potential to disrupt chemistry? South Carolina has the two super classes of 2019 and 2021. The 2019 class has been the backbone of the team for the past two years. Does contentiousness develop between the two super classes? Does a veteran who is beloved by her teammates lose many or most of her minutes to Azzi?

Stanford has more flexibility of working a young star like Demetre into the rotation. I don't see how their chemistry will change much.

(I agree with others questioning Oregon and Baylor. I disagree with those who would put Tennessee in the Top Ten. I predict Georgia as the second best SEC team this year.)
Will the addition of new players I see no harm to the way our team will play. That being said the only way to really know how any player or combo of players affect the team play is in real games. This is where I see Geno being ahead of some of the other power house coaches. While SC has a loaded team as well as UCONN I see Geno as a better floor general, he will figure out who plays better with whom. As far as SC is concerned, I hope the addition of new players disrupts the flow of their game.
I don't get the over use of the term chemistry. Put the starting 5 for our team in a game and they mesh into a power 5 for that game does that mean they have great chemistry? What happens in game 2 and the same 5 play poorly, does that mean they now have poor chemistry? In chemistry putting the same combination of chemicals together the same result happens time after time. Not so with people, same 5 every game different results for every game, we know that's the way it works. As far as Azzi taking minutes from a veteran player, it's going to happen, it seems to be a no brainer. If the veteran gets their undies in a bundle, it's her problem as she is no longer a team player. The players know there will be changes in minutes I hope they are prepared for it. We know if there are vets on the team who show contention Geno has no problem letting them sit until they get over themselves.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
I like Dawn, but I think her biggest weakness is managing a roster full of talent. It's not easy. I think her USA Coaching exposed some of what I see. I will be disappointed if she attempts to use these new Freshman to disrupt major minutes from her seniors and juniors. I don't believe Geno will start Azzi because he doesn't need to and there's no benefit in throwing her into that fire. This year...that isn't necessary. Don't get me wrong....she could handle it. If you look at Syracuse...Q couldn't manage minutes for all the talent he recruited...and that just snowballed into what you have now. He lost THREE 5 star recruits...actually 4.(Elmore)..and none of them hardly ever started. He was too busy trying to make others happy spreading around minutes...and lost continuity on both ends of the floor.

UConn doesn't promise minutes nor do they reserve a position for recruits. It's a luxury most programs don't have. I would guess that most programs would promise minutes or a starting position to most 5 star recruits. When it doesn't happen that way the recruits leave. But without the promise a lot of those recruits wouldn't pick that school in the first place.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
This is an interesting point I was looking at with Louisville (Evans) and Arizona (MacDonald) and who steps in those shoes. I would also add Tennessee and Reina Davis. Those 3 players saved their teams from some L’s. Who steps up in those specific moments. Dana Evan’s owned 4th quarters and saved the Cardinals in several games.
I think van Lith will be a better player this year than Evans was last year. As important as Evans was to Louisville last year, I think she’s the only player they lost, and they have a couple of pretty good freshmen in Verhulst and Mobley.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think van Lith will be a better player this year than Evans was last year. As important as Evans was to Louisville last year, I think she’s the only player they lost, and they have a couple of pretty good freshmen in Verhulst and Mobley.
Adding Engstler from Syracuse could be really big for them.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
UConn will rain threes this year, they will play a lot of man to man defense as they have plenty of fouls to give, their passing will be legendary, Reinforcement in the front court will plug up the weakness from last year's version, guard play, guard play, guard play will spell the difference In the big games... It will be about chemistry...and I believe UConn will have plenty of that coupled with this being a redemption year for our three seniors...I look for UConn to hoist up another National Championship Banner.

Reaction Score

I think you could have a point if they are meeting for the first time. With UConn, they've known each other for years and played/practiced together so they already have a lot of chemistry with entering class.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
UConn will rain threes this year, .
I hope not. Outside of Paige, UConn shot 31% from 3.
Azzi should of course help that but still wouldn’t say we are spectacular from 3.

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
I hope not. Outside of Paige, UConn shot 31% from 3.
Azzi should of course help that but still wouldn’t say we are spectacular from 3.
I will sum it up with the following: "What a difference a year makes" Here is what I expect to seen Paige and Azzi will shoot in the mid to high forties. Paige was 46.4 percent last year. Azzi is a three point assassin and will average in the mid to high forties as well. Williams, Muhl and Evina will average between 35 to 40 percent from three. Then you have Caroline Ducharme and Saylor Poffenbarger both capable of shooting threes coming off the bench... I would not be surprised to see UConn averaging 8-10 made three pointers per game.

Reaction Score
I will sum it up with the following: "What a difference a year makes" Here is what I expect to seen Paige and Azzi will shoot in the mid to high forties. Paige was 46.4 percent last year. Azzi is a three point assassin and will average in the mid to high forties as well. Williams, Muhl and Evina will average between 35 to 40 percent from three. Then you have Caroline Ducharme and Saylor Poffenbarger both capable of shooting threes coming off the bench... I would not be surprised to see UConn averaging 8-10 made three pointers per game.
Completely agree! Having three outstanding 3 pt shooters on the court, plus a slasher (CW when at full strength and speed - now with the ability to go right or left) and a powerful rebounder, NO WORRIES on offense.

Now if three defenders plan on being "lock-down defenders" (Paige, CW and Evina) plus outstanding shot blockers available (ONO, Dorka, AG, & AE) - multiple lineups should be able to go on big runs. I like our chances this year, particularly if all the women get healthy and stay healthy...

Reaction Score

I'm hopeful your wishes come to fruition (especially the championship!). I think Muhl's shooting is getting underrated here. When she got her feet wet in which Geno starting giving her 20+ minutes and before her late season injury- she shot 37.3% from 3. That's a good shooting % from 3.

And Dorka did show in 19-20 a terrific 3pt% of .396. Though that may have been a fluke - but still a chance.

And I'lI wonder now about CDucharme having more opportunities for minutes in big games with the CWill elbow issue. If she does and from what we hear- then rain 'em down down Caroline!

Add all this up and considering the two other extreme top teams (S.C and Stanford) are loaded up front, then yes - please fill it up form 3!

Reaction Score
Ahhh. The beauty of pre-season rankings. Looking forward to seeing how the coaches blend, develop, and utilize the talent for their programs. Some of these programs are getting top notch talent. Seeing how Coach Teri Moren has turned around Indiana has been very impressive. Good to see them getting some love. Top 10 program. That is solid!!

Reaction Score
you can pencil in SC, Stanford & UConn for the FF today, imo. Too much talent. Wide open for the 4th spot.

Reaction Score

I'll answer with another question: Would you ruin your slice of pie by adding a couple of scoops of ice cream?
Guess it's all determined by individual taste.
Me, I'm looking forward to see how Geno handles this delectable dilemma.

Reaction Score
you can pencil in SC, Stanford & UConn for the FF today, imo. Too much talent. Wide open for the 4th spot.
Wouldn't surprise me at all if only two of the three were in the final four. Upsets happen and there's a some good teams in spots 4-7.

Reaction Score
I'll answer with another question: Would you ruin your slice of pie by adding a couple of scoops of ice cream?
Guess it's all determined by individual taste.
Me, I'm looking forward to see how Geno handles this delectable dilemma.
Actually, too much depth greatly reduce the injury, "off-night", & exhaustion in Q4 risk factors considerably. Its up to the coach to know which combos to push, but I'm sure Geno would choose 8 or 9 quality players vs 5 or 6 with no exception.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
Geno also has something in the chemistry department that no other team has. He has Momma 'E'. I understand she has already been vocal about last years minutes being redistributed. And she is very vocal, as are CW and Liv, the only goal is a national championship. #unfinishedbusiness

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Actually, too much depth greatly reduce the injury, "off-night", & exhaustion in Q4 risk factors considerably. Its up to the coach to know which combos to push, but I'm sure Geno would choose 8 or 9 quality players vs 5 or 6 with no exception.
Actually, Geno commented on that specific subject at one time, back in the early 2000's when he last had a really deep team. I don't remember the exact source, but I remember the quote. He said that having a larger number of high-quality bench players is desirable from a defensive standpoint, since it helps to avoid both foul trouble and exhaustion in late game situations. But, he said, it is unhelpful in offensive execution, since having to integrate a larger number of players into the rotation lessens the opportunity for players to develop on-court chemistry and synchronicity with each other. Sounds reasonable to me.

Having said that, the 2001 team lost in the National Semifinals despite its incredible depth, because Shea and Sveta were injured and the other players, although very good (the same people who went undefeated and won an NC the next year), were not able to stop Notre Dame from overcoming a 15-point deficit and winning the game by 15 points.

Reaction Score
Like always preseason rankings are the most useless in the grand scheme of things. Having said that I think this list pretty accurate. I think the top 3 are considerably better than the rest heading into the season.

South Carolina is the only team of the 3 to not lose any players this off season and they add a highly rated and well rounded recruiting class and a college experienced big. So I can see why they are #1.

UCONN loses a rotational player and a walk-on but also receives a well rounded recruiting class and a experienced versatile big.

Stanford loses their leading scorer during the off-season and brings in a decent recruiting class and transfer to go along with their depth and height.

Looking to be an exciting season, I think it's most likely that the NCAA championship will come from one of these 3 schools. But I still think there will probably be about 5 or so schools that could give the top 3 a real challenge by the season's end.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Like always preseason rankings are the most useless in the grand scheme of things. Having said that I think this list pretty accurate. I think the top 3 are considerably better than the rest heading into the season.

South Carolina is the only team of the 3 to not lose any players this off season and they add a highly rated and well rounded recruiting class and a college experienced big. So I can see why they are #1.

UCONN loses a rotational player and a walk-on but also receives a well rounded recruiting class and a experienced versatile big.

Stanford loses their leading scorer during the off-season and brings in a decent recruiting class and transfer to go along with their depth and height.

Looking to be an exciting season, I think it's most likely that the NCAA championship will come from one of these 3 schools. But I still think there will probably be about 5 or so schools that could give the top 3 a real challenge by the season's end.
Since LY there were only a handfull of OOC games, it was tough to pick out the teams that would be the darkhorse to join the party at the F4. I believe there were 8 teams that everyone thought had a chance, but there were 3 teams that we all agreed would be there. ( same as this year) Every year our goal is to be the #1 team entering the tournament, meaning UConn would play the least ranked team at the final 4. Avoid the big boys until the finals, get the final 4 team with the least experience with less of a resume. This year we would like to avoid SC and Stanford in the semis, but does it matter? I don't think it does anymore, with so much talent around the country now, and so many really good teams. There has been a difference of opinion, including mine, of why we are just not making a good showing in the semis, although the popular ones are "taking the opponents lightly, or not used to an aggressive team that shouldn't hold a candle to us". The two games are suppose to be tough, and all four teams are suppose to be great. I think we need to face a great team in the semis, be it SC, Stanford, Oregon, etc. If we faced Louisville, NC State, there is no way we would take the night off. The game against Baylor in the elite eight proved we could rise to the occasion. The UConn way says they will prepare for all teams the same, and treat all teams as if they were the best out there. I think some of the players may have lost sight of that. There is also the question of if a loss during the season would help the focus of a team. At this point, with this young team, maybe it would. The undefeated teams were great teams, and they didn't have the motivation of a loss to spur them on. Their motivation was to be the best every game. If this team gos unbeaten, they will be acknowledged as great team, but until they do, they will have to prove it to me, to you, to the entire WBB world. We've lost that aura of dominance the last few years, and now is the time to get it back. Go Huskies!!

Reaction Score
Stolen from lady vol board
LINDY'S PRESEASON TOP 25
1. UConn
2. South Carolina
3. Stanford
4. Maryland
5. Baylor
6. Louisville
7. NC State
8. Indiana
9. Iowa