Another need a new tv thread | The Boneyard

Another need a new tv thread

temery

What?
Reaction Score
My tv pretty much died this morning. It's turned into a tv/strobe light.

I need to order a new one by tomorrow.

My needs have changed a bit - my eyesight has gotten worse, so bigger and better resolution is needed.

Im toying with the idea of a projector. I'm told they've gotten much better. Not entirely sold on the idea though.

Suggestions?

Reaction Score
Just don't buy a TCL. Go with a reputable company.

I bought this thing last year when my TCL (less than one year old) died and it was a replacement TCL for the earlier one that died after one month.

Samsung - 65" Class Q60C QLED 4K UHD Smart Tizen TV

I like this Samsung 100%!

jleves

Awesomeness
Reaction Score
Same advice I give every time this comes up. TVs have gotten so good they're all about equal unless you are a serious videophile. As long as you aren't going super budget at Walmart, they are all gonna be 4k with smart apps.

Go to Costco and get the biggest your budget and space can handle. They extend the warranty and you can return it for 90 days if there is something you don't like about it.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

I bought this thing last year when my TCL (less than one year old) died and it was a replacement TCL for the earlier one that died after one month.

That's funny. My $350 TCL has performed like a champ for years, I like the built in Roku. I had a Samsung that cost triple and crapped out in 2 years.

Reaction Score
Best Buy is still having deals on their Insignia 4K LED TVs today. Quite affordable with good reviews, though I've never actually watched one.

Reaction Score
Samsung and LG make good ones...

I have a 15-year-old Samsung that still works fine, and my brother's oldest LG lasted 15 years also.

I have also heard that newer feature-laden TV's in general don't typically have the lasting power of the old non-smart ones.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Update: apparently all ceiling lights are also flickering, so it's not just the tv.

I have a feeling this is going to cost me more than a tv.

Reaction Score
Update: apparently all ceiling lights are also flickering, so it's not just the tv.

I had a similar problem about 7 years ago. Main wire was arcing inside the meter. I had the electric company come out first. They checked the wire at the pole and top of the house. They determined the problem was in the meter box. They didn't charge. The electrician who repaired it did. Maybe you get lucky and the problem is at the pole.

Reaction Score
That's funny. My $350 TCL has performed like a champ for years, I like the built in Roku. I had a Samsung that cost triple and crapped out in 2 years.
I returned mine within a week of buying it. I have Samsung and lg. If your eyesight is getting worse I doubt you need the fancy Oled. As stated above. Go to Costco and get the biggest you like. There are viewing distance charts that tell u the correct size for distance away

Icehawk

TFG
Reaction Score
LG C4 is on sale, I'll admit I wasn't as blown away by the C3 I bought last year as I was hoping coming from an older LED TV though.

Reaction Score
I disagree with upstater regarding TCL as well. They've come a long way and they provide by far the best picture quality to price ratio. They run on Google TV as well, which is the best smart TV OS.

I'd check on user reviews and feedback from other owners, and it looks like they are pretty happy with the 2024 TCL QM7/QM751G over on AVS Forum. $1000 for a 75", $1500 for the 85" or $2700 for the 97" of this model is really good pricing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

My 780P LG refused to die for years. I finally gave up on it not because of picture, but because, though it was a smart TV, it really wasn't all that smart by modern standards.

After hearing consistently about TCLs on the board I relegated the LG to a guestroom and bought a 65 inch Roku TCL. I have to say, it's been fine. Picture's terrific and it's definitely much, much smarter than my old LG. I've been happy with it. [knocks wood]

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I had a similar problem about 7 years ago. Main wire was arcing inside the meter. I had the electric company come out first. They checked the wire at the pole and top of the house. They determined the problem was in the meter box. They didn't charge. The electrician who repaired it did. Maybe you get lucky and the problem is at the pole.

The room is in a new (2019) addition. Only this room is "flickering." And the juice to the house was put underground from the pole to the house when the addition was built.

I'm not sure if such a problem can be at the circuit level.

Reaction Score

After you get the real issue fixed, get a professional grade surge protector for the tv and other video/audio.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

We actually had that happen and randomly asked our neighbors who indicated they were having the same issue as we reached out to more neighbors we realized it was a neighborhood problem. Initially, everybody just figured it was something in their house. Apparently well construction was being done a sheath was nicked causing an issue in only half the load or something.

Might be worthwhile reaching out to people around you to see if it's not just you.

Reaction Score

If it’s the entire house it might be incoming supply. If it’s isolated it’s a wiring issue. U might have a loose wire somewhere…

I had an issue with a dead outlet recently…turned out the supply wire in a switch box on the floor below was loose. It may not be that big an issue

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Go to a store $500-$600 bucks and get a 65".

Whatever they have in that price range will meet your needs.

Done.

Reaction Score
We actually had that happen and randomly asked our neighbors who indicated they were having the same issue as we reached out to more neighbors we realized it was a neighborhood problem. Initially, everybody just figured it was something in their house. Apparently well construction was being done a sheath was nicked causing an issue in only half the load or something.

Might be worthwhile reaching out to people around you to see if it's not just you.
I had an issue with internet at a prior house....they would come out, change the modem , then upgrade the modem tell me all was ok. Had an issue for months. .finally had a competent tech come out and tell me the cable junction was sitting on a copper water pipe in another room...

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If it’s the entire house it might be incoming supply. If it’s isolated it’s a wiring issue. U might have a loose wire somewhere…

I had an issue with a dead outlet recently…turned out the supply wire in a switch box on the floor below for loose. It may not be that big an issue

it's just this room. I'm about to run a cord to the other side of the house just to get the tv working right.

NowInStorrs

The truth is out there.
Reaction Score
I had a Vizio P series (their top end at the time) and loved it. Unfortunately one of the dimming panels went bad after ~5 years. I replaced it with a mid/high TCL and it's been fine. I think the Vizio was a bit better but it's not a huge difference.

Reaction Score

Glad to see Samsung in here -- I just got a 55" Q72D QLED and hope it's worth the $800.

Reaction Score
I disagree with upstater regarding TCL as well. They've come a long way and they provide by far the best picture quality to price ratio. They run on Google TV as well, which is the best smart TV OS.

I'd check on user reviews and feedback from other owners, and it looks like they are pretty happy with the 2024 TCL QM7/QM751G over on AVS Forum. $1000 for a 75", $1500 for the 85" or $2700 for the 97" of this model is really good pricing.
lol a 97" TV is so gratuitous

Reaction Score
it's just this room. I'm about to run a cord to the other side of the house just to get the tv working right.
If its one room I can almost guarantee it was an issue with the wiring....either a loose wire somewhere or a bad ground...

Call the electrician that did the work and tell him to fix it. They are amazingly good at finding things like this....shouldn't be an expensive fix..

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom