Another missed opportunity for Vital | The Boneyard

Another missed opportunity for Vital

Reaction Score
This game set up perfectly for him. But he followed the same pattern again. Made a couple of threes in the first half. Shot poorly. Turned the ball over. Forced bad shots. Got blown by on defense. Had no impact on the game.

It is disappointing because we know he is capable of so much more. He could have used Adams absence to imprint himself as an elite player. It looks like that was asking too much.

Reaction Score
This game set up perfectly for him. But he followed the same pattern again. Made a couple of threes in the first half. Shot poorly. Turned the ball over. Forced bad shots. Got blown by on defense. Had no impact on the game.

It is disappointing because we know he is capable of so much more. He could have used Adams absence to imprint himself as an elite player. It looks like that was asking too much.
All the turnovers were embarrassing and he didn't even rebound. He still can't dribble to save his life. Ugh he was bad. He really hasn't had a good game since Jalen has been out. Too much pressure?

Reaction Score
Thinking Vital can be an elite player is setting the bar too high and setting yourself up for disappointment. He doesn't have that kind of talent or skill. He's a complimentary player that gets hot from 3 at times. Love his effort, fire and competitiveness, but he is defficient in too many area to be elite. Creating offense off the dribble, finishing at the rim, explosive athleticism are all areas where he does not excel. Like him in a John Gwynn or Brian Fair role or less athletic Albert Mouring?

Reaction Score

"Capable of so much more".

This program isn't even capable of winning a road game in this conference. They aren't even competitive in them.

Anyone who is disappointed isn't paying attention. The time has long come for people to stop being disappointed in what these players have done to this program. In the post game quotes it appears Hurley might be at his breaking point.

Reaction Score

Yes, asking Vital to be an elite player is asking way too much. He should be better than he was tonight though.

Reaction Score
Vital is good for one up and down a game. Just unbelievable at this point... Was so high on him earlier this year when he did what he was supposed to do.. (spot up 3, tough defense, and drive when necessary) But tonight i see him taking 30 footers with a hand in his face... Dont get it.

Reaction Score
I can’t believe anyone here thinks Vital is capable of being an elite player. I get that he has a lot of heart but he is so obviously deficient in so many areas, I don’t understand how ppl see him as potentially “elite”. He is a bench player on any normal UConn team. That’s not gonna change.

It sucks but we have to put all of our hope in Hurley and his recruiting. We need better talent. Period. From top to bottom. Otherwise we are looking at another long season next year.

Ollie did a terrible job at recruiting and retaining talent. Now we are paying for it miserably. Sorry I’m just frustrated and needed to let it all out tonight.

UConn fan since 98-99 (was 8 yo). Grew up watching an “elite” program with “elite” players. Vital and company ain’t it, let’s snap back to reality.

Reaction Score
Beating a dead horse here (hey, it's the only thing UConn-related we can beat) but the starting five we're left with at this point would all be coming off the bench in the past. Most of them with a couple of minutes left in the game. I like Vital a lot, but asking him to be anything more than a solid role player shows just how far we've fallen.

Once again, injuries have turned what would have been a tough year into a miserable one. Not sure if it's tougher to accept or watch. I'm opting to trust the system and believe this ship will begin to turn itself around next year. With the talent that's coming in, we're one decent big man away from becoming relevant again.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I've said this since day one, but it sucks that it took an injury for most of us to finally see how dependent Vital, and this team, is on Jalen. Vital, along with team, desperately needs a play maker.
I found it unthinkable there were people saying we’d be better without him, who did they think was replacing that 20 points?

Reaction Score
Beating a dead horse here (hey, it's the only thing UConn-related we can beat) but the starting five we're left with at this point would all be coming off the bench in the past. Most of them with a couple of minutes left in the game. I like Vital a lot, but asking him to be anything more than a solid role player shows just how far we've fallen.

Once again, injuries have turned what would have been a tough year into a miserable one. Not sure if it's tougher to accept or watch. I'm opting to trust the system and believe this ship will begin to turn itself around next year. With the talent that's coming in, we're one decent big man away from becoming relevant again.
Of all you guys who praise the incoming talent, how many have seen them play? I am skeptical of the impact 2 players rated 80 or lower and 1 in the 30’s will have. Agreed there is improvement in recruiting, but...

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I've said this since day one, but it sucks that it took an injury for most of us to finally see how dependent Vital, and this team, is on Jalen. Vital, along with team, desperately needs a play maker.
This thread is a bit of a head shaker. Vital is a good role player. If we want to be disappointed when our two best ball handling threats are missing when most teams wouldn’t look any better, where was Smith yesterday? A grad student. Wilson was almost useless but he’s still wet behind the ears. Vital could have been all world yesterday but he needs someone to set him up so the chances for him to be all world were slim.

Reaction Score
"Capable of so much more".

This program isn't even capable of winning a road game in this conference. They aren't even competitive in them.

Anyone who is disappointed isn't paying attention. The time has long come for people to stop being disappointed in what these players have done to this program. In the post game quotes it appears Hurley might be at his breaking point.
I was not writing about "the program" I was talking about Vital.

So please don't tell others they need to pay attention.

Reaction Score
Of all you guys who praise the incoming talent, how many have seen them play? I am skeptical of the impact 2 players rated 80 or lower and 1 in the 30’s will have. Agreed there is improvement in recruiting, but...

Compared to the the team that played last night, yes we will be much much improved.

We are adding a shot blocker so no more easy lay-ups and replace awful Smith, who is such a liability in a zone as he is an awful shooter, with Bouk and Gaffney. Carlton/Polley/Sid are a year older as is Gilbert who hopefully gets back to early season form. Vital the only senior leader. Yes we will be much improved with just those 3, but we will add 2 more.

Reaction Score

That's a fair point, I haven't seen any of them in person. But if our recruits can play to their supposed potential, we'll have better shooters and a much-needed shot blocker in the middle. Not saying we’ll make the dance, but there’s reason to believe we may finally start trending in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I think Vital is a great player who always gives his all. That being said I also think he will never strive when he is the number one option on offense. He seems to thrive in his role of being the 2nd or 3rd man down on the totem pole so to speak.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I found it unthinkable there were people saying we’d be better without him, who did they think was replacing that 20 points?
You deem it unthinkable some folks here when they are frustrated they resort to taking cheap shots at players??? C'mon now, we are in the real world, right?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Compared to the the team that played last night, yes we will be much much improved.

We are adding a shot blocker so no more easy lay-ups and replace awful Smith, who is such a liability in a zone as he is an awful shooter, with Bouk and Gaffney. Carlton/Polley/Sid are a year older as is Gilbert who hopefully gets back to early season form. Vital the only senior leader. Yes we will be much improved with just those 3, but we will add 2 more.
And the grass is greener until you have to mow it
I agree about comparing it to the team last night but without a talented big you can have all the guards and skinny 4's you want - it's still not going to get you where you need to be.
Need junkyard dog mentality and more importantly a developed physical presence
Have nobody like that now and none of the new guys fit that mold
In addition - not convinced that DH has also pulled in a bonafide sharp shooter

Reaction Score
That's a fair point, I haven't seen any of them in person. But if our recruits can play to their supposed potential, we'll have better shooters and a much-needed shot blocker in the middle. Not saying we’ll make the dance, but there’s reason to believe we may finally start trending in the right direction.
Shot blocker in the middle? I believe Akok weighs 185lbs. He may be a very good player but I would be surprised if he helps our interior defense. Of course he may help by simply showing up.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
He’s much better when Gilbert and maybe another guard are in the floor

Reaction Score
Shot blocker in the middle? I believe Akok weighs 185lbs. He may be a very good player but I would be surprised if he helps our interior defense. Of course he may help by simply showing up.

If hes coming over to help after a guard gets blown by like last night then I'm not sure his weight will have anything to do with it. He will be blocking smaller guards/SF shots.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
Imagine rashad Anderson as the top player on a Uconn team.

Vital is on a similar tier

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coolbeans44

Top Bottom