Another great column from Lori Riley | The Boneyard

Another great column from Lori Riley

Status
Not open for further replies.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I didn't even know it until the other day when [Claire] Smith, who works at ESPN, and I sat down to talk about the upcoming ESPN documentary "Let Them Wear Towels," which details some of the battles that female sports writers had to go through to do their jobs. It's the third film in the company's "Nine for IX" series about women's sports, and it airs Tuesday night at 8 p.m. on ESPN.

When I confessed to Claire that I hadn't heard about the time when she, as a Courant sports writer, was thrown out of the San Diego Padres' locker room in 1984 — only five years before I arrived at the Courant — she told me that was a good thing.

"When we went to Tribeca [Film Festival], there were a lot of young reporters there, and they didn't know the story," said Smith, who left the Courant in 1990 and went on to work at The New York Times and the Philadelphia Inquirer before joining ESPN in 2007. "They don't recognize that environment, and that's a good thing."

Claire Smith's Locker Room Exile A Reminder Of How Far We've Come

Reaction Score
You know, Nan, this thread is the second in 2 days that raises up a topic that, for me, is too difficult to express my thoughts :-(

Yesterday it was Baylor Bears, today it is sexism.

I c'dint comment on Baylor because I can't recall the exact sequences where Sims had done nearly impossible things to will Baylor to victory over both us and ND. So I let that one go.

I also don't know what to say about sexism either, without expressing a political perspective that favors vigorous enforcement of anti-discriminatio laws and offends some posters. About the only thing I can muster here, without getting on posters' political nerves, is that wbb is a better game than is men's. And, I gather the women don't mind wearing towels when they get interviewed in the locker room by reporters, be they male or female. Or, put differently, I wonder if male reporters have ever been kept out of interview sessions or put at a functional disadvantage in covering WNBA games? And, I wonder whether female reporters realize women play a better brand of bb than men do, and should write it up accordingly?

Sexism is tricky business.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm wondering if you got the gist of the article? It discusses how sexism has declined in journalism through perseverence of women and enlightenment of men of authority in sports. It'sa history lesson not a rant.

Reaction Score
Women at the time complained that without locker room access immediately after a game they couldn't do their job. (I always wondered why men had to get interviewed in the locker room while women seem to get interviewed on the court/playing field, or in the hallway after they shower and dress?) Those females had a legit complaint. But the victory ended up being of the pyrrhic type. A handful of females got jobs with newspaper sports depts. that are now being eliminated all over the country as the print media dies a slow death. Today, most media stars stay in studio and don't need to write, only to read a prompter and look good.
Maybe I've just gotten too cynical but I remember all the attention this got by the media (who always thinks they are an interesting topic) and I compare it to the plight of working women in Bangladesh who simply want to work without an imminent threat of death. This story has been largely forgotten by the same females who thought locker room access was a worthy cause in the "advancement" of females. I wonder if any of the women writers are wearing nice tops sewn by the women who died in that fire?

Sorry, I'm done.

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I wonder if any of the women writers are wearing nice tops sewn by the women who died in that fire?

I dunno -- but I do wonder how many male writers are wearing nice tops sewn by the women who died in that fire.

Reaction Score
I dunno -- but I do wonder how many male writers are wearing nice tops sewn by the women who died in that fire.

Fair enough comment. But I was referring to journalists who (to me) appear more than a bit hypocritical. There are lots of people in this country wearing those tops but it's a small group who do so while claiming to be in the fight for fair treatment of women in the workplace ............. but only for some women. Reminds me of Tom Jefferson, who wrote eloquently about the equality of all but practiced something quite different.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Fair enough comment. But I was referring to journalists who (to me) appear more than a bit hypocritical. There are lots of people in this country wearing those tops but it's a small group who do so while claiming to be in the fight for fair treatment of women in the workplace ............. but only for some women. Reminds me of Tom Jefferson, who wrote eloquently about the equality of all but practiced something quite different.

You know the "fight" for the right to interview in the locker room happened almost 30 years ago, right?

Reaction Score
You know the "fight" for the right to interview in the locker room happened almost 30 years ago, right?

At my age that was a short while ago. ;) My first experience of overt discrimination was in 1967 on a high school trip at the bus station in Richmond, Va. Separate dinning rooms for white and non-white. I was hungry so I ate but I've always felt guilty that I was all for integration when it was just talking but that I was a hypocrite.

Isn't that "fight" what is meant by "how far we have come"? My point is just that if you consider all females the celebration is way way premature. The victory of a handful of female journalists is more the exception than the rule.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with female reporters in the locker room, although I would prefer no reporters in the locker room. Just let that be for the players, but I know that's not how it works. My only real thought is are men reporters allowed in female locker rooms?? (honestly I don't know??)

ThisJustIn

Queen of Queens
Reaction Score
I don't have a problem with female reporters in the locker room, although I would prefer no reporters in the locker room. Just let that be for the players, but I know that's not how it works. My only real thought is are men reporters allowed in female locker rooms?? (honestly I don't know??)

Yes, male reporters are allowed in female locker rooms.

I understand why male players don't want women reporters in the locker room -- it interferes with the who homo-eroticism vibe that stretches through men's sports.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Yes, male reporters are allowed in female locker rooms.
Cool
I understand why male players don't want women reporters in the locker room -- it interferes with the who homo-eroticism vibe that stretches through men's sports.
Say what???? :confused:

Reaction Score
I am glad that equal access has been achieved and that women have access to the locker rooms as do the men..... I remember that incident with Victor Kiam and the remark about the "Patriot missile".... shows how far we have come....

I am anxiously looking forward to the show tomorrow night.....

Made me wonder..... do men have access to the women's locker rooms as well..... I imagine so.....

By the way, on the subject of the Title 9 shows on ESPN, the Pat Summit show was less than great..... I expected a bit more depth..... it wasn't bad.... but seemed to be a lot of Tyler talking about how great his mother was.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom