Another Glimpse At Anna | The Boneyard

Another Glimpse At Anna

Reaction Score
Went to Holocaust Memorial in Berlin, Germany a few years ago as an excursion during a cruise. This "memorial" is unlike anything I have ever seen with different size blocks of stone/cement(?). It's a Memorial to the Murdered Jews of Europe.
It is supposed to be a very solemn place, and there are signs to not climb, etc.... unfortunately people were seen "climbing" on the memorial stones/blocks which to me was very disrespectful.

Reaction Score
Truer words were never spoken!! Let's hope our great country can work together and gets this right!!
Sorry 'P', but you DO know that the definition of "Insanity" is "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"? :confused:

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
We visited Auschwitz and Birkenau two years ago, Dachau about a dozen years ago. While Birkenau, sister camp to Auschwitz is considerably larger, Auschwitz is in most ways more depressing not just because it contains the rooms with thousands of pairs of shoes, of children’s things, of eyeglasses, of wheelchairs and prostheses, but because it looks almost too nice. Well maintained brick buildings, a geometric symmetry in the layout, every bit the military post it was constructed to be. Sobering but should be visited if you get to visit anywhere near Krakow.

Not to be too down, Poland was generally great. Good food, nice people, nice towns and ‘Gdańsk where the Solidarity movement started is a wonderful city. Warsaw, almost totally a reconstructed city to resemble it before the Nazis ruined it, has a fantastic modern museum of the history of Jews in Poland. If the virus ever gets outs of the way, Poland is worth the trip, and historically not a major destination for US tourists.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
What happened to the subject of this post?

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Anna channeling Anne Frank.

1595541226611.png

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
There are a number of truly solemn historical places where just standing there can feel emotionallly overwhelming. I felt such emotion at the Alamo, Gettysburg, Pearl Harbor, Normandy and the 9/11 museum in NYC. I have never been to Auschwitz. I can only imagine just how moving and difficult an experience it is.

Reaction Score
Krakow in Poland is beautiful and was left mostly undamaged from WWII. Easy to get to if on a tour such as one of those Danube river cruises.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
There are a number of truly solemn historical places where just standing there can feel emotionallly overwhelming. I felt such emotion at the Alamo, Gettysburg, Pearl Harbor, Normandy and the 9/11 museum in NYC. I have never been to Auschwitz. I can only imagine just how moving and difficult an experience it is.
Been to all of them except the 9/11 museum. Trying to visualize the mayhem that goes with them is hard, most so peaceful looking, Gettysburg and Normandy especially with the Omaha Beach cemetery being an odd combo of beautiful and terrible.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
It's a metaphorical glimpse. A view of a tragic and hateful place she visited about which she wanted to send a message.
It’s hard for Poland natives to visit. I give her a lot of credit. And Poland’s current government is anti-Semitic. Ray Allen famously went out of his way to visit Auschwitz a few years ago. A few people have asked
me why would a Jew want to visit there. I’m, not religious, but I answer, if I’m going to be in Poland, how could I not. The victims need to be honored.

We had a a moving experience at Birkenau. The railroad track that would remind most people of Nazi movies goes straight up the middle of the mostly dismantled big site. At the very far end is a memorial nesr where the ruined gas chambers and crematorium stood, destroyed by the Nazis when they knew the Russians were soon to overrun them. As we approached, we heard singing. It was a group of Israeli school kids all dressed up singing the Jewish mourners prayer. Goose bumps. It’s likely most of those kids were descendants of Holocaust survivors.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Been to all of them except the 9/11 museum. Trying to visualize the mayhem that goes with them is hard, most so peaceful looking, Gettysburg and Normandy especially with the Omaha Beach cemetery being an odd combo of beautiful and terrible.
The most heartbreaking aspect of the 9/11 museum is the recorded phone messages left by victims to loved ones before the towers fell. Hearing a father leave a message for his children reminding them that, “Daddy loves you” was almost more than I could take.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Krakow in Poland is beautiful and was left mostly undamaged from WWII. Easy to get to if on a tour such as one of those Danube river cruises.
It’s supposedly the only Polish city the Nazis left intact because it’s got a lot of German heritage. Four of us were in Poland for a special program with Poles trying to improve conversational English. We decided to go a week early to do a tour and because we needed specific dates, decided to hire a private guide company. It wasn’t noticeably more expensive than a group tour and way more flexible. No having to get up at 5:30 almost every day and allowed us to build in a stop in the small town near Warsaw where my mom’s mother came from and left in the early 20th century. Good move. All the Jews who remained until WWII were killed and the centuries old cemetery destroyed. Anyway, we had more great pyrogies and sausages than you can shake a stick at on that tour

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Sorry 'P', but you DO know that the definition of "Insanity" is "doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results"? :confused:
One of the popular definitions of insanity. It's actually a legal definition, not a clinical one. Just sayin'.

Reaction Score
True. But its the only one that defines all the others perfectly! ;)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom