Another commit lost. | The Boneyard

Another commit lost.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adesmar123

Can you say UConn? I knew you could!
Reaction Score
Did he de commit because he thought he couldn't compete with the Diaco recruits coming in the next two years, or because he thought Temple was an up and coming program and we are not?

Reaction Score
Did he de commit because he thought he couldn't compete with the Diaco recruits coming in the next two years, or because he thought Temple was an up and coming program and we are not?

I'd have to say neither. Temple's staff just worked on him during the season, with coaching uncertainty at UConn, and he felt Temple was a good fit. It happens.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I stand by my earlier comments on the recruits.

Any kid who watched two years of PP/GDL, verbals to UConn, sees the results on the field and then bails after Diaco is named coach, is a kid I don't want at UConn.

Seriously. What kid would look at the past two and a half years of on field performance and stunted growth and then bail on the new staff?

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Speaking of Philly, situations like this makes that great Iverson presser go through my mind. Except where AI says "a game" I hear "Florida" (or Iowa, etc.) and where he says "practice" I hear "Temple".

Reaction Score
I stand by my earlier comments on the recruits.

Any kid who watched two years of PP/GDL, verbals to UConn, sees the results on the field and then bails after Diaco is named coach, is a kid I don't want at UConn.

Seriously. What kid would look at the past two and a half years of on field performance and stunted growth and then bail on the new staff?

I don't strongly disagree with you, but don't forget recruiting is about relationships. I can understand you point but when virtually all of the prior staff is gone, you have lost whatever relationships you built. If you feel more comfortable with another staff, and you know where you stand, that may be more encouraging than walking into a situation that might have more potential but also many more questions. Foley obviously was kept, so his decision is still a curious one, but it's not as black and white for recruits. They have/had personal relationships with the coaches that are gone, 95% of us don't. Recruits should be committing to programs because coaches and players come and go. They typically don't (except for the top/national programs). They commit to coaches because they are the ones recruiting them.

Reaction Score
This might be a grade or admissions issue. Our track record with getting players admitted into UConn from Milford Acd over the years has not been a good one…

Reaction Score
I don't strongly disagree with you, but don't forget recruiting is about relationships. I can understand you point but when virtually all of the prior staff is gone, you have lost whatever relationships you built. If you feel more comfortable with another staff, and you know where you stand, that may be more encouraging than walking into a situation that might have more potential but also many more questions. Foley obviously was kept, so his decision is still a curious one, but it's not as black and white for recruits. They have/had personal relationships with the coaches that are gone, 95% of us don't. Recruits should be committing to programs because coaches and players come and go. They typically don't (except for the top/national programs). They commit to coaches because they are the ones recruiting them.

It's most likely this......but I'm disappointed that we lost an OL commit when Foley is the one coach retained. But when you turn over an entire staff, this happens. Not the end of the world.

Reaction Score
We have two coaches right now. Not even a staff. If Wright wanted to enroll in January, I'm sure he would have at least like to know who the "staff" is.

Diaco's approach to waiting on his staff is a curious one, but it's his show, if this recruiting class takes some hits because of it, so be it. Just keep Newsome.

Reaction Score
Foley and Diaco better get to work. Can't afford to lose another OL.

New UConn coach Bob Diaco and offensive line coach Mike Foley, the only assistant coach retained by Diaco, have been busy contacted all the committed recruits. It sounds like they are in pretty good shape with the others although Kent School OL Trey Rutherford did visit Minnesota last weekend.

http://runwayramblings.blogspot.com/

Reaction Score
At this point it's hard to imagine a recruit saying I would have stayed under PP/GDL but I'm leaving because of the Diaco hire. As previously stated it's more complicated than that but this is a bit of a head-shaker at a position we really need to improve and restock.

Fill that staff and get crackin coaches. We need to get way past losing guys to Temple.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So this recruit was content to wait out our head coaching search. He did so, then saw his position coach as the only one to be retained by the new HC...and yet still leaves?? It sure would seem that he has some type of issue with new HCBD, as nothing else has changed with us. Whether his issue is due to Diaco's style, philosophy or expectations of him and the program, this a recruit who could not see himself playing here under the new HC. So even though we need OL, we should just say thank you to him for leaving now....and not causing our program issues down the line.

#1 PA Husky Fan

Diehard Fan of All UConn Sports Teams!
Reaction Score
There will be casulaties of war in the short-term. Hopefully, our new staff will replace those casulaties with more highly-skilled players. I expect that Diaco's experience, youth, and enthusiasm will result in an uptick in talent.

Reaction Score
Diaco's approach to waiting on his staff is a curious one, but it's his show, if this recruiting class takes some hits because of it, so be it. Just keep Newsome.

I don't think Diaco is waiting at all. He is very likely working on putting together his staff as we speak. He had said that he wants his new staff to enjoy their holidays, but be ready to get to work right after the first of the year.

Reaction Score
We have two coaches right now. Not even a staff. If Wright wanted to enroll in January, I'm sure he would have at least like to know who the "staff" is.

It's actually not curious to me, he was pretty clear about it in something he said somewhere along the way in the past week to someone. Diaco said that he's pretty much well aware of what his direction with a staff is going to be, but he's been very clear and repetitive with his scripts about everything when he talks publicly, and one of the things he's said is that he now knows what it's like to feel in every chair along the way up through a football program. He said that he and his family know full well what the coaching lifestyle, and especially what his demands are going to be for the commitment, and he knows that he is giving up time with his family and children that he will never get back. He said that one of the most important lessons he learned a long the way, is that you have to make very good use of that time and respect it and value it. He said something to the effect that he would like to build sandcastles with his son if he could, but at that time of the year, it's simply not happening, he's not going to have those experiences with his own kids. He ended that piece of whatever interview it was, by saying that he knew that once the coaches were in place, they would be under the microscope of a place like - say the Boneyard - (no he didn't reference the boneyard) but he did say that he knew that once they were named, they would have to be all in 100%, and he would wait until after Christmas to do that. He said that he was going to give people their space for the Christmas holidays to be with families, without concern, because after that, they wouldn't be seeing their families much.

I expect that New Year's week, our new coaching staff will be filled out and on campus and working. That's just a guess on my part, but everything so far in the way this guy operates, I'd be surprisedif he didn't have a full staff ready to go that week.

Reaction Score
I don't think Diaco is waiting at all. He is very likely working on putting together his staff as we speak. He had said that he wants his new staff to enjoy their holidays, but be ready to get to work right after the first of the year.

beat me to it, and of course did it in about 1,000 less words than me

Reaction Score
Likely true, but the kids coming in, likely want to know who their coaches are going to be, and would like to hear from them sooner rather than later. Like I said, if this recruiting class takes a few hits because of his approach so be it.

Reaction Score
Another? Were there any others besides Fuchs and Wright? hope not.

Limbo Land

Pounding Down the Doors!
Reaction Score

I think he is going after coaches on teams who are playing bowl games and is allowing them to honor their commitment to their team. Once the games are over you will here the positions being filled. I don't expect many big names but names from big programs.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
So this recruit was content to wait out our head coaching search. He did so, then saw his position coach as the only one to be retained by the new HC...and yet still leaves?? It sure would seem that he has some type of issue with new HCBD, as nothing else has changed with us. Whether his issue is due to Diaco's style, philosophy or expectations of him and the program, this a recruit who could not see himself playing here under the new HC. So even though we need OL, we should just say thank you to him for leaving now....and not causing our program issues down the line.

The issue may well be that the OL coach he initially committed to (GDL) favored a different philosophy than the one we have now (Foley). I don't know anything about this kid but it is very possible that he wanted to play in a finesse blocking scheme. That will not be possible here anymore.

Reaction Score
By not putting together a staff before the New Year means that you are probably not going to get any/many January enrollees either from prep school or JC. Since we need OL, it will probably hurt us for next year. My guess is that this year is going to be a very small recruiting class and the new staff is going to put their efforts into next year's class. This is what Addazzio did at BC last year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mollykate

Top Bottom