Another championship for Maya - Seimone is MVP | The Boneyard

Another championship for Maya - Seimone is MVP

Status
Not open for further replies.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Lynx sweep!! They put the "W" in WNBA for 2011. Great victory, a little ragged at the end but they held on and hit some free throws.

Great season and a magical run for Maya in her rookie campaign. Well deserved by all

BOX

NBA channel is carrying post-game coverage from Atlanta

semper

Paleographer
Reaction Score
Great series, and wonderful to see Seimone at the end. What a spectacular effort from her. It was really incredible.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Soooo .... does anyone feel that Minnesota's coach, Cheryl Reeve, with her now-enhanced resume and her tutoring in the Laimbeer school of competitive basketball, would be a plausible candidate to succeed Geno at UConn if he should decide to depart in the next few years?

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
Maya's late thee pointer was HUGE.

But, on the other side of the coin, she gave away too many critical points with lazy passes and sloppy turnovers.

Regardless, she RUNS more miles per minute played than any other player in the WNBA. In Game two, on Wednesday, Maya sat out a lot of the game with stupid fouls; but; in the last five minutes, she had a whole bunch of defensive rebounds which kept Minny in the game.

Bottom line: Maya wins Championships. And she had a huge impact all season on the culture of the LYNX. They played the best team basketball in the WNBA. My judgment is that Maya contributed more to that than any other Lynx player.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
On the late turnover along the sidelines, Maya appeared to be hacked by Angel. Despite that, she should gave been stronger with the ball.

Maya also has the best plus/minus at +10. Angel tied for the worst.

Maya was an integral part of a championship team, winning in her adopted home town in front of friends and family. Congrats to the Magnificent One and the Lynx!

Reaction Score
Soooo .... does anyone feel that Minnesota's coach, Cheryl Reeve, with her now-enhanced resume and her tutoring in the Laimbeer school of competitive basketball, would be a plausible candidate to succeed Geno at UConn if he should decide to depart in the next few years?

Not plausible at all. To some degree think Van Chancellor and Michael Cooper. And while the championship may be a star on a resume I doubt it changes anyone's perception of her as a coach. She did a credible job with the most talented team in the league and others would have failed with that assignment, but she didn't open any eyes regarding her coaching ability.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Just watched the post-game and listened to the NBA TV crew interview Lindsey Harding. I have to say, if Angel had the poise and maturity of a Lindsey Harding, tonight's game might have finished differently. Rebecca remarked that late in the game, Angel's body language and 'energy' were negative and that she played like she expected to lose after sitting on the bench for a long stretch. Angel did not take the podium for a post-game interview.

I like Angel, and I think her energy and unique brand of confidence/abandon is something you never want to take away. She's an undeniably great talent. But when things seem to be going wrong and things are happening that she doesn't like, you don't always know what you're going to get from her on the court. Not that she cashes it in, but it's just not the kind of leadership you need in those moments.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
To the victors go the spoils .....

02lynx100811.jpg

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
NO. Firstly, IMHO, Geno is not going anywhere any time soon. he even s.aid himself "this year we have a chance if things go our way and others falter, but after that, for the next 2 years, we may not lose a game".

that's not an exact quote, but something like that. he probably won't retire until he surpasses Pat in NC's, and he may decide to go after her total wins record. i'd honestly be surprised if Pat is able to soldier on for more than 2 years.

Secondly, Cheryl has no college experience, specifically in recruiting. she started as an asst in Charlotte in 2001 for the sting and only has WNBA experience.

i think the next HC comes from the college ranks, and to be honest, unless Jen leaves Hartford for a higher profile job, i can't see her getting the UCONN job 7 or 8 y ears down the road. i think other folks from the UCONN family will have surpassed her in success and experience at a more elite level. just my $.02...

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
CONGRATS MINNY AND MAYA! how may years in a row has a UCONN product been on the WNBA championship team? what a great series for them. they were the best in the regular season and proved they were the best when it came down to the playoffs...

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
I'm surprised the Lynx were able to win the Championship in three games. Thought Angel would be able to win one or two games in Atlanta. Angel was a no show in the 2nd half until the Lynx gave up some easy baskets at the end of the game. She didn't seem to have the drive to put the team on her back and win the game.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
chemistry with Ericka & Izzy seemed to be a big issue for Angel and the team

Olde Coach

Rip, Olde Coach
Reaction Score
I'm surprised the Lynx were able to win the Championship in three games. Thought Angel would be able to win one or two games in Atlanta. Angel was a no show in the 2nd half until the Lynx gave up some easy baskets at the end of the game. She didn't seem to have the drive to put the team on her back and win the game.

Seimone earned my respect (big time) in these three games. She worked unbelievably hard, in all three games; but in game two her effort was off the charts. She was really exhausted; but she kept on pushing herself (at both ends of the floor) to keep the Lynx in a game that had a record-breaking scoring performance from Angel.

SUPER-IMPRESSIVE, SEIMONE!!!!!!!!!!! She has to be on the Olympic Team in London.

Reaction Score
After a sluggish start Maya played great! Glad to see her come up big when it counted.

Reaction Score
On the late turnover along the sidelines, Maya appeared to be hacked by Angel. Despite that, she should gave been stronger with the ball.

Maya also has the best plus/minus at +10. Angel tied for the worst.

Maya was an integral part of a championship team, winning in her adopted home town in front of friends and family. Congrats to the Magnificent One and the Lynx!

A very misleading stat. One can have a great game in a losing effort and be in the minus category. Or, can play as Maya did last night and come out +10. It's like the baseball player who strikes out four times, then hits a walkoff homerun to win the game in his fifth at bat.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
A very misleading stat. One can have a great game in a losing effort and be in the minus category. Or, can play as Maya did last night and come out +10. It's like the baseball player who strikes out four times, then hits a walkoff homerun to win the game in his fifth at bat.
I pay NO attention to that stat

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Maya is demonstrating a talent that Diana and Sue have down pat: Where they play, hardware gets collected. Think how many championship teams they have played on (and generally led) in college, WNBA and in international play. The companies who craft championship rings don't need to ask their size anymore.

Champions!

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Kib is exactly right. If you see a championship trophy, chances are that Sue or Dee or Maya is close by.

Maya won 3 Georgia state championships in 4 years, 2 NCAA championships in 4 years, and 1 WNBA and 1 World Championship each in 1 try. Miss Maya is Miss Championship.

Side note--did you see her pick up Lindsay Whalen? Maya is very strong.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
Let's not sell Diana short here. I know she did well in HS, we KNOW what she did at UConn. And with Phoenix in the WNBA. And in Russia. And............ US Olympic team.

And Sue is right there with her!

I wish I had the energy (and a good calculator) to tally up all the hardware these three ladies have accumulated (with more to come).

What I like most about this is that I hope KML and Breanna and their teammates take what their predecessors have done and get after it.

Separately, seems to me that all this speculation about who will replace Geno is a bit premature. I can't imagine him stepping down until he nails at least ten national championships and a thousand wins. And that's my speculation, based on nothing but a fixation on round numbers.

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
Separately, seems to me that all this speculation about who will replace Geno is a bit premature. I can't imagine him stepping down until he nails at least ten national championships and a thousand wins. And that's my speculation, based on nothing but a fixation on round numbers.

I like your wording because all I hear is, his GOAL is to "beat Pat".

speedoo

Big Apple Big Dog
Reaction Score
I like your wording because all I hear is, his GOAL is to "beat Pat".
Really?

Last comments I heard around here about her were all about supporting her with her disease.

Maybe you need to check your perception of this place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom