Another awesome Little Mo stat | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Another awesome Little Mo stat

Status
Not open for further replies.

DobbsRover2

Slap me 10
Reaction Score
I think the player who pokes the ball away to a teammate should get the steal, but seldom does. But your second condition does not seem right. From a technical standpoint, how would you record the change of possession? It's not as though the ball was thrown out of bounds. Someone did catch the ball. And in spite of making this a Husky incident only, I've seen times when even a Husky could mess up a pass right to her.
Well, in the second case, the opponent is just charged with a turnover, but the Huskies' would not get a steal. That situation happens extremely frequently like with a double-dribble. Now again, I'm sure in the recent case where I believe a Memphis player just tossed the ball to either Bria or MoJeff, it almost definitely was credited as a steal, but the rules say that the defender needs to make a move to intercept the ball. Of course if the defender used some deception and yelled to the ball-handler "I'm open," then at least she's moving her lips.

arty155

Post Poster
Reaction Score
PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
-New to the Boneyard? A little confused what HBR is???
-No problem! That's why we provide this simple chart.
-So go ahead!...Put it up on your refrigerator.
-But, please, not too far up. Somehow, that just seems wrong

HBR Husky Bill.JPG

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
That is probably the way the steal will be recorded, but technically according to the statistics-recording rules, it is the player who pokes the ball away that should be credited with the steal. My guess though is that it is usually the player who secures the ball that is awarded the steal. Probably should be some type of assists-on-steals stat. And also note that if a an opposing player has a brain-fart and passes the ball directly to a Husky defender (as has happened on a couple of occasions this year), it should just be a turnover without any steal credited according to the rules. How often they're followed though is the question.

An interesting issue on the steals and similar to the tipped rebound issue. A rebound is awarded to the player who secures possession but often as we have seen this year the real reason for the rebound is not the possessor but the one that tipped the ball away from a defender. That player does not get any credit for their action but is essential to the process.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Well, in the second case, the opponent is just charged with a turnover, but the Huskies' would not get a steal. That situation happens extremely frequently like with a double-dribble. Now again, I'm sure in the recent case where I believe a Memphis player just tossed the ball to either Bria or MoJeff, it almost definitely was credited as a steal, but the rules say that the defender needs to make a move to intercept the ball. Of course if the defender used some deception and yelled to the ball-handler "I'm open," then at least she's moving her lips.
Too much interpretation would be put on the score keepers. When is the pass to the players and when do they step up and intercept. Must they have two feet fixed in place , is one step enough, two? to get the steal. I can see splitting the steal in halves for the poke and the pickup. It would be like sharing sacks in football.

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Too much interpretation would be put on the score keepers. When is the pass to the players and when do they step up and intercept. Must they have two feet fixed in place , is one step enough, two? to get the steal. I can see splitting the steal in halves for the poke and the pickup. It would be like sharing sacks in football.
The official scorers already have the most power in basketball. You want to give them even more? But the first part of your analysis as to why the player who catches the ball should get the steal is correct.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
Honorable mention to Shelly Clymer, with the highest possible ratio. In 1982-83 she had one steal and drumroll... zero turnovers.

One can only imagine the true value of such a ratio...

:)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Now we see your idea of reality. The ball is caught by somebody, but we pretend that it didn't.

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
At the risk of being picky, it isn't imaginary.

oops you're right , that would be the sq root of -1 (etc.) I was thinking of , instead of dividing by 0 (undefined). So much for my keen recollection re: math class :)

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
An interesting issue on the steals and similar to the tipped rebound issue. A rebound is awarded to the player who secures possession but often as we have seen this year the real reason for the rebound is not the possessor but the one that tipped the ball away from a defender. That player does not get any credit for their action but is essential to the process.
Suppose a defensive player tips a rebound not to a teammate but to an opponent. Do you give the tipper a rebound? Should she then get a turnover? How about 1/2 a rebound or perhaps -1/2 a rebound? The opponent ended up with the ball. What does she get (except my undying love?) I think the system we have now is the best.

Last edited:

Phil

Stats Geek
Reaction Score
oops you're right , that would be the sq root of -1 (etc.) I was thinking of , instead of dividing by 0 (undefined). So much for my keen recollection re: math class :)

Exactly (or any linear function of i).

huskybill

RIP, huskybill
Reaction Score
Honorable mention to Shelly Clymer, with the highest possible ratio. In 1982-83 she had one steal and drumroll... zero turnovers.
As a long term fan of the program, I remember 'Stealin' Shelly.'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom