Another '13 Guard Commits to Stanford | The Boneyard

Another '13 Guard Commits to Stanford

Status
Not open for further replies.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
per Keil Moore, Briana Roberson a 2013 guard out of CA has committed to Stanford. Someone tweeted a question to Keil which asks if there's still room for McCall and he responded that Stanford has room for 4 recruits and McCall would make 4. He's wrong; this latest commitment gives Stanford 4 for 2013 -- Johnson, Samuelson, Thompson and Roberson (every name ends in "son"?) A McCall commitment would make 5 for 2013.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about Stanford's roster size for next year and it was reported that there would be room for McCall (as the 4th commit) because Ruef would not be returning and another player would be a walk-on. Is there still room for McCall with this latest commitment? And what's up with another guard?

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/kailee-johnson.24393/#post-343010

McCall has a planned visit to UCLA next weekend so it may not be down to UConn and Stanford for her.

U

UCONNfan1

Interesting stuff. I recall reading from the Stanford posters on the board that they had room for McCall and she would be the last recurit in the class. Unless they are planning on someone else besides Ruef leaving, they don't have any more room for recruits, at least from what I recall reading. Should be interesting for sure!

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
per Keil Moore, Briana Roberson a 2013 guard out of CA has committed to Stanford. Someone tweeted a question to Keil which asks if there's still room for McCall and he responded that Stanford has room for 4 recruits and McCall would make 4. He's wrong; this latest commitment gives Stanford 4 for 2013 -- Johnson, Samuelson, Thompson and Roberson (every name ends in "son"?) A McCall commitment would make 5 for 2013.

There was a thread a few weeks ago about Stanford's roster size for next year and it was reported that there would be room for McCall (as the 4th commit) because Ruef would not be returning and another player would be a walk-on. Is there still room for McCall with this latest commitment? And what's up with another guard?

http://www.the-boneyard.com/threads/kailee-johnson.24393/#post-343010

McCall has a planned visit to UCLA next weekend so it may not be down to UConn and Stanford for her.

I'm totally confused, Cat.

Here is the link to the Stanford roster for 2012-13. I only see one senior, Tinkle.

Stanford roster

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
I'm totally confused, Cat.

Here is the link to the Stanford roster for 2012-13. I only see one senior, Tinkle.

Stanford roster

Ruef is a redshirt Jr who reportedly won't be back next year. Ebersole is a walk-on and Lakhian will be a walk-on next year. So, as discussed in the other thread, there is room for 4 commits for 2013 which Stanford is at now with today's announcement. But maybe there will be additional turnover next year. Stanford needs post players...badly.

doggydaddy

Grampysorus Rex
Reaction Score
Ruef is a redshirt Jr who reportedly won't be back next year. Ebersole is a walk-on and Lakhian will be a walk-on next year. So, as discussed in the other thread, there is room for 4 commits for 2013 which Stanford is at now with today's announcement. But maybe there will be additional turnover next year. Stanford needs post players...badly.

I guess we will all find out on Nov. 10th?

Reaction Score
Peach State Media has also announced that Rebekah Dahlman has committed to Vanderbilt. Lots of news this week, it looks like.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score
A reliable Stanford Poster supposedly told a UCLA poster(on the UCLA Forum) that Roberson is supposed to be going to Stanford as a walk on, thus McCall still has a slot available at the Farm.
Not sure why someone would announce they were going somewhere as a walk on, but it happened.

wallman

UCLA Bruin
Reaction Score
Anyone heard anything else about the possibility of UCLA getting a fab four?

@ OChoops that must be some big carrots they are dangling.

ochoopsfan

OC Hoops Fan
Reaction Score

That was mentioned on the UCLA forum this morning by a poster who knows the game. I have not heard a thing yet. UCLA has a very good freshman guard in Nira Fields, who will be there leader between soph thru senior years. Adding top players to her level would make the Bruins #1 out west, by far. I would love for the top talent to come out west. But we shall see.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
A reliable Stanford Poster supposedly told a UCLA poster(on the UCLA Forum) that Roberson is supposed to be going to Stanford as a walk on, thus McCall still has a slot available at the Farm.
Not sure why someone would announce they were going somewhere as a walk on, but it happened.

That makes sense -- i.e., the fact that another guard won't be taking a roster spot that should be held open for a post player (e.g., McCall) which is what Stanford needs.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score

Apparently the post about a fab four to UCLA was made in jest.

U

UCONNfan1

Apparently the post about a fab four to UCLA was made in jest.
Is there even a fab 4 left in that class who is considering UCLA? Davis and Russell aren't. maybe they get 4 kids in the top 50 and that constitutes a fab for at UCLA. I get that the comment may have been made tongue in cheek, but their fab 4 and our fab 4 concepts are very different...

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
Is there even a fab 4 left in that class who is considering UCLA? Davis and Russell aren't. maybe they get 4 kids in the top 50 and that constitutes a fab for at UCLA. I get that the comment may have been made tongue in cheek, but their fab 4 and our fab 4 concepts are very different...

The post was about Davis (who is considering UCLA), McCall, Harper and one other (Cooper maybe). This idea was posted on some other board and was a joke.

U

UCONNfan1

The post was about Davis (who is considering UCLA), McCall, Harper and one other (Cooper maybe). This idea was posted on some other board and was a joke.
Oh. Well, then, if that's the case, it's a pretty good "fab 4" by anyones criteria!

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score

That's what we're hearing on the Stanford forum too. I guess Roberson is a recruited walk-on, so it's meaningful for her to "commit". (Recruited walk-ons are pretty common in football, but maybe not such a familiar concept in WBB.)

CompSci87

Stanford fan
Reaction Score
?? Stanford is not doing anything wrong here. Walk-ons don't have scholarships, so obviously they don't count against the scholarship limit.

I have no idea what the issue was with Drummond at UConn (tried googling it and didn't get anything helpful in the amount of time I was willing to spend), so I can't compare with that.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
?? Stanford is not doing anything wrong here. Walk-ons don't have scholarships, so obviously they don't count against the scholarship limit.

I have no idea what the issue was with Drummond at UConn (tried googling it and didn't get anything helpful in the amount of time I was willing to spend), so I can't compare with that.
I think a Stanford education is great, but it is a far better bargain at $0 than at $200,000.

If the kids are agreeable and can pay the freight, good for them.

Reaction Score
Do Ivy's offer athletic scholarships? Stanford is usually up in the Top 5 best colleges or so..it's practically an Ivy, I can understand why someone would walk on there. Especially if you factor in weather/location as well.

Ozzie Nelson

RIP, Ozzie
Reaction Score
Do Ivy's offer athletic scholarships? Stanford is usually up in the Top 5 best colleges or so..it's practically an Ivy, I can understand why someone would walk on there. Especially if you factor in weather/location as well.

No academic or athletic scholarships in The Ivy League…only need based aid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom