Anne Donovan - RIP | The Boneyard

Anne Donovan - RIP

Reaction Score
Mechelle Voepel‏ @MechelleV
Anyone who crossed paths with Anne Donovan is crushed by this awful news. She was a kind, thoughtful person who gave so much to basketball. She was just at the Hall of Fame ceremonies in Knoxville this weekend, where her former HS coach, Rose Marie Battaglia, was inducted.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
WOW! Only 56 - way to young. May Anne RIP.

Reaction Score
I am completely shocked by this news. Of course I didn't know her but what I knew of her I liked a lot.

May she rest in peace & blessings to her family and friends.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Wow, this is out of nowhere. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
23e47362112192e8c1d7e9273a9dd784

Kelly looks like a HS kid here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Sad and tragic. A true pioneer for the women's game of basketball who will be greatly missed.

Reaction Score
In today's THE DAY page 1 Sports Section there is a little article:

ANNE DONOVAN DIES
Basketball mounds the death of Hall of Famer, Olympic gold medalist and former Connecticut Sun coach, who died of heart failure on Wednesday. She was 56.
SEE PAGE 3

The Day can't even get an Obit right!
The lady deserves at least a spell check to get the information right!
The complete article is ok inside on page 3. But someone was too lazy to pre-check the lead-in before sending it down the line to print.

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
In today's THE DAY page 1 Sports Section there is a little article:

ANNE DONOVAN DIES
Basketball mounds the death of Hall of Famer, Olympic gold medalist and former Connecticut Sun coach, who died of heart failure on Wednesday. She was 56.
SEE PAGE 3

The Day can't even get an Obit right!
The lady deserves at least a spell check to get the information right!
The complete article is ok inside on page 3. But someone was too lazy to pre-check the lead-in before sending it down the line to print.
And my paper's headline implied that she was enshrined this past weekend - it said AD dies days after enshrinement. The actual article cleared up that she was simply there and correctly identified her entry in the various halls of fame. Poor editing, I think.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
She was way too young. I saw Ann play in person in the early 80’s. We had a very good team at the time, but she was virtually unstoppable.

RogueDave

Wasn’t Me!
Reaction Score
2009 I encountered her once in Charlotte airport in a store buying bottled water...Elderly Chinese couple asked to take picture with her...She obliged...as they said thank you they mentioned she should play basketball...I laughed outloud...she smiled at me and left for her plane...

Sad news...she will be missed...

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
This was a shock when I first heard the news — I read “heart” and presumed heart attack. But several outlets say it was heart failure, i.e., congestive.

This must have been coming for some time then....? I wonder if her health was starting to become an issue when she stepped away from the Sun HC job? That was in Oct 2015, a little less than three years ago.

RIP , Anne — you certainly made your mark on the game and on many people in it

Reaction Score
This was a shock when I first heard the news — I read “heart” and presumed heart attack. But several outlets say it was heart failure, i.e., congestive.

This must have been coming for some time then....? I wonder if her health was starting to become an issue when she stepped away from the Sun HC job? That was in Oct 2015, a little less than three years ago.

RIP , Anne — you certainly made your mark on the game and on many people in it

After reading some reports I'm wondering the same thing, God knows coaching a pro sports team is full of pressure & stress, maybe she decided it was just too much to take anymore.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom