Anna: the stats don't lie | The Boneyard

Anna: the stats don't lie

MdStang

Greetings From Geezerville
Reaction Score
I have noticed a lot of negative chatter about Anna, particularly during in game chats. Other than 3 point shooting I think she's having a pretty good year so far. I checked the team stats and they don't lie. Playing just under 30 minutes a game she is averaging 5 assists (tied with Paige for team lead with far fewer turnovers). She is averaging 5 rebounds a game. Her overall shooting percentage is .450 (only Paige and Olivia are better among the starters). If she can improve her 3 point numbers she can easily average 12 - 14 points per game. Pretty darn good for the 4th or 5th scoring option.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I don't think she's played very well at all so far, I was hoping for better. Her shooting has been atrocious, she has the worst two bricks of the year. We'll need better from her when we play the varsity.

Reaction Score
Agreed, her shaky start from the outside is what captures our attention, since she needs to be a shooting presence for us. But I think she is being very effective in her minutes. Interestingly enough, she and Evina have similar numbers.

Makurat - 7.7ppg, 45% FG, 33% 3FG, 5.0 Rb, 5.0 Ast, 1.3 STL, 1.6 TO, 30 Minutes
Evina - 5.0ppg, 40% FG, 25% 3FG, 4.3 RB, 4.3 Ast, 2 Stl, 1.3 TO, 28.3 Minutes

Reaction Score
I have noticed a lot of negative chatter about Anna, particularly during in game chats. Other than 3 point shooting I think she's having a pretty good year so far. I checked the team stats and they don't lie. Playing just under 30 minutes a game she is averaging 5 assists (tied with Paige for team lead with far fewer turnovers). She is averaging 5 rebounds a game. Her overall shooting percentage is .450 (only Paige and Olivia are better among the starters). If she can improve her 3 point numbers she can easily average 12 - 14 points per game. Pretty darn good for the 4th or 5th scoring option.
Anna is a very intense player. You can see it in her face and her demeanor. She wants to "do it right"... she wants to be productive... and it drives her nuts when she misses the mark on either offense or defense. Her passing and court vision remain very solid (as they were last year) and she is contributing to the success of the Team. Her 3pt shooting WILL come around...as it did last year. As Geno says, this season is like nothing he has ever experienced (due COVID) and it's the same for the players.

GO HUSKIES!!!

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I don't think she's played very well at all so far, I was hoping for better. Her shooting has been atrocious, she has the worst two bricks of the year. We'll need better from her when we play the varsity.
Atrocious?? That seems extreme. A brick is a brick, it does not matter how bad they are. They are just two missed shots. One was a rushed shot as the clock was running out. Anna will be fine.

Reaction Score

So 45% and 33% are atrocious? I guess that means Westbrook is worse than atrocious? Shooting for very few players is a stable statistic, kind of like BA in baseball; they are stats to be analyzed over the long haul, not three games and certainly not defined by “two bricks”. Makurat and Westbrook have both played excellent ball, shooting notwithstanding. With all respect, judging players like Makurat and Westbrook solely by their shooting stats is missing the point of basketball as a team game.

Reaction Score

She has had a couple bad misses from deep, and is still shooting 33.33% - well above the D1 average and well above UConn's average for the year. Also much better than CW and EW. So far this year she has played well - particularly if you focus on her overall game and not just two bad misses - and will likely be even better going forward.

Reaction Score
We are only three games into the season, and one of them was more of a scrimmage. Anna is doing fine. Always hustling on defense, fighting for rebounds, and passing to open players. Her shot from distance is streaky. When she finds that range, it is unbelievable. She started to find it last night.

Reaction Score

my fan expectations were she would be averaging 10-12 pts a game. So i agree some, but not to the point of atrocious. She is a very reliable player and as the teams 5th option we cant expect much more statistically. There are only so many shots available each game. If she is shooting more Paige or Ev or CW shhot less. So if she shoots 15 times a game her stats go up maybe someone else’s go down. Does this make her better? The team better? I will agree she needs to be at 40% from the 3 to reach her team roles maximum effectiveness. Then again maybe all this Polish National Team Euroball nonsense set expectations too high.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
IMHO, you couldn't be further off. If she played atrocious, Geno would have cut her PT and/or sounded off in the post game. Actually she has been pretty darn good: averages 28 min, 8 pts on 45% shooting (would be over 50% without the two 3 pt heaves/rushed shots to beat the shot clock) and 33% from 3 pt. (again, she would be at 39% from 3 if not for 1 heave/rushed shots each in the first and second game to beat the shot clock), 5 RBs, 5 assists and a steal a game. I'd say she is doing just fine.

If not for the SH game where she only took 4 shots, she could easily be averaging double figures. I have not seen any bricks, although she had an air ball, but so did a CW.

AM gets miss-analysed on this board more than any player in recent memory. although to be fair, it seems most appreciate her game. At season's end, she will average roughly 10-12 pts a game, with 5 Rebs and 4 Assists and a steal plus a game. Could be higher if others assert themselves and she gets open looks from 3.

She feeds the ball to others particularly well and sees things develop before others do. Terrific player. Too bad she has slow feet on defense but I'll take her as my 4th -5th option any day. Just watch her drain threes for the rest of the year and continue to drop dimes on the opposition.

Key point: she doesn't need to shoot the ball 15 times a game to make a difference! But leave her alone and she will make you pay!

For me, she is the real 'glue' player. Does a lot but doesn't need a lot of shots (taking less than 7 per game!).
Why are you addressing this to me? Did you read my post? I am defending Anna. You should be addressing your post to Waquoit.

Reaction Score
I think what you said about her is atrocious!! Shame on you remember she has only played three games in what is a very trying year, if you can do better call Geno I am sure he will be happy to listen to your input:mad:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think what you said about her is atrocious!! Shame on you remember she has only played three games in what is a very trying year, if you can do better call Geno I am sure he will be happy to listen to your input:mad:
I'm pretty sure Geno is less than thrilled with her play based on what we saw on camera last game. All I said is that I was expecting much better all around from her than we're seeing. How can anyone disagree?

Reaction Score
IMHO, you couldn't be further off. If she played atrocious, Geno would have cut her PT and/or sounded off in the post game. Actually she has been pretty darn good: averages 28 min, 8 pts on 45% shooting (would be over 50% without the two 3 pt heaves/rushed shots to beat the shot clock) and 33% from 3 pt. (again, she would be at 39% from 3 if not for 1 heave/rushed shots each in the first and second game to beat the shot clock), 5 RBs, 5 assists and a steal a game. I'd say she is doing just fine.

If not for the SH game where she only took 4 shots, she could easily be averaging double figures. I have not seen any bricks, although she had an air ball, but so did a CW.

AM gets miss-analysed on this board more than any player in recent memory. although to be fair, it seems most appreciate her game. At season's end, she will average roughly 10-12 pts a game, with 5 Rebs and 4 Assists and a steal plus a game. Could be higher if others assert themselves and she gets open looks from 3.

She feeds the ball to others particularly well and sees things develop before others do. Terrific player. Too bad she has slow feet on defense but I'll take her as my 4th -5th option any day. Just watch her drain threes for the rest of the year and continue to drop dimes on the opposition.

Key point: she doesn't need to shoot the ball 15 times a game to make a difference! But leave her alone and she will make you pay!

For me, she is the real 'glue' player. Does a lot but doesn't need a lot of shots (taking less than 7 per game!).
very well put!

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure Geno is less than thrilled with her play based on what we saw on camera last game. All I said is that I was expecting much better all around from her than we're seeing. How can anyone disagree?
I do. It’s 3 games in. She’s at best option 4 on O. She’s missed a few shots badly. Every player in hoops history misses shots badly. I don’t mind her shooting. She’s no worse than an average shooter. She’s primarily looking to set up,others which she does pretty well. She rebounds ok. She is court aware. She has been far from atrocious.

SVCBeercats

Meglepetés Előadó
Reaction Score
Stats may not lie, however, some fans d ... well ... have issues. ;):rolleyes:

Reaction Score
I think Anna is playing well on both ends of the floor. Of course I am slightly bias as she is one of my favorite players. But I think she is the perfect complement to the "Big 3-Paige, ONO, and CW". She plays within the style that the team plays. I mean nothing is more frustrating than watching a player jacking up shot after shot and not hitting or trying to pass to another teammate. Anna ain't like that, which I am glad. I know folks are like "Oh she needs to shoot more." True but think about what you are saying. Paige taking 10-15 attempts. CW is taking 10-20. ONO is going to get 10-20. Do you really think Anna, or any high IQ basketball player, is going to go out there and say well they are getting 10-20 shots, I might as well get mine? Nope. Anna understands and knows when she is going to take her shots within the flow of the offense. That is the mark of a solid team player.

Anna took 9 shots the other night against Creighton. I forgot the total but it was maybe 5 or 6 that she knocked down. Those quality shots were within the flow of the offense. Nothing forced. It was pretty efficient. Also her board work is solid. Her assist to turnover rate is off the charts. She is 3rd on the team in steals. She is doing well and playing well. I ain't mad at her. Then again, she is my favorite player so I will never be mad at her :D:cool:

Reaction Score
I thought Geno had a funny quote about Anna... said she can hit a homerun in the 9th when we're up 8-1, but not when it's a close game in the first half!! But sounds like she's working on it! I for one am sure she will improve, and think the ball movement is better with her in the game!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
so1

Top Bottom