Angst And Anxiety Fill UConn Fans' Hearts In Sloppy First Win (J. Jacobs) | The Boneyard

Angst And Anxiety Fill UConn Fans' Hearts In Sloppy First Win (J. Jacobs)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Jacobs is so concerned about making an impression on the Big 12 that he couldn't wait to tweet out the picture on twitter of the stadium pre kickoff when it was barely full so it could spread around. But of course doesn't tweet out the image 10 minutes later where the fans/students filled in nicely. Look I was in my seat at 6pm and would prefer people be there at the start. But the fans who do show up can do whatever they want. If our football coaching staff doesn't even try to move the ball the first 3 possessions starting at basically midfield than I can't get on fans for not exactly rushing from the BBQ and booze to see that level of brilliance.

If how your stadium looks 10 minutes pre kick off against a 1-AA team on a Thursday night is what the Big 12 will decide on than there's not much we can do. But that would also mean Cincinnati is also out of the running because Nippert was even emptier at their start.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
A win is a win, is a win, is a win...

Jesus, Jacobs is a most miserable S.O.B.

He makes me look like Johnny Brightside...

Let's move on, but I do agree the O needs a kick in the can.

Reaction Score
Weak article but it pretty much aligns with the game thread.... Angst, anxiety.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
I was standing next to and talking with an offensive player's father for much of the fourth quarter. My buddy and I asked about the play calling and if it frustrated his son. He said you should see these guys in closed practices. They air it out, it looks awesome. Then Verducci gets cold feet and calls a conservative game. You could tell he was somewhat frustrated by it.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is so concerned about making an impression on the Big 12 that he couldn't wait to tweet out the picture on twitter of the stadium pre kickoff when it was barely full so it could spread around. But of course doesn't tweet out the image 10 minutes later where the fans/students filled in nicely. Look I was in my seat at 6pm and would prefer people be there at the start. But the fans who do show up can do whatever they want. If our football coaching staff doesn't even try to move the ball the first 3 possessions starting at basically midfield than I can't get on fans for not exactly rushing from the BBQ and booze to see that level of brilliance.

If how your stadium looks 10 minutes pre kick off against a 1-AA team on a Thursday night is what the Big 12 will decide on than there's not much we can do. But that would also mean Cincinnati is also out of the running because Nippert was even emptier at their start.

Yeah and then Buccigross retweeted it

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Yeah and then Buccigross retweeted it

To be fair, the pic does represent the number of people who actually paid to attend this game pretty accurately.

Reaction Score
A win is a win, is a win, is a win...

Jesus, Jacobs is a most miserable S.O.B.

He makes me look like Johnny Brightside...

Let's move on, but I do agree the O needs a kick in the can.

I think it was a realistic and well written article. A win is a win, but don't fool yourself.

Reaction Score
Weird how he never mentioned how full it was for the 2nd through 4th quarters. Lame.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
I was standing next to and talking with an offensive player's father for much of the fourth quarter. My buddy and I asked about the play calling and if it frustrated his son. He said you should see these guys in closed practices. They air it out, it looks awesome. Then Verducci gets cold feet and calls a conservative game. You could tell he was somewhat frustrated by it.

If there's any truth to his statement, and there's no reason to think it isn't true, then last night's so-called offensive "gameplan" by UCONN is totally indefensible. Playing not to lose against an overmatched I-AA football team? Asinine.

Reaction Score
If there's any truth to his statement, and there's no reason to think it isn't true, then last night's so-called offensive "gameplan" by UCONN is totally indefensible. Playing not to lose against an overmatched I-AA football team? Asinine.
Great way to smother the confidence/morale of these kids. What idiots.

I look forward to an empty stadium towards the end of the season so I can harass Diaco.

Reaction Score

If this is what's going on someone needs to get Verducci to script his first 10 plays with a bunch of variety. Make him crap or get off the pot

Reaction Score

This makes me miserable

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
This makes me miserable

It's funny how everyone reads things different....I was actually happy to hear they can open it up successfully in practice. Wouldn't it be worse if he was just as conservative in practice? To me...this says the game plan was to be conservative yesterday..and it almost bit them in the arse.

They don't practice wide open without a reason...I am going to assume it means that they can be offensively aggressive...but yesterday they chose not to be. That is much better than that they can't play wide open.

Yes..it still means that the gameplay sucked last night...but it gives me hope they learned their lesson and the offense has the capability of being aggressive.

MattMang23

Reaction Score

Indeed. He told me more, too, but I won't post it. I don't think he would want his or his son's feelings spread over the internet. Let's just say that- like the rest of us- he seemed concerned with the offense relying on a certain player having to run with the ball too often.

Reaction Score
Indeed. He told me more, too, but I won't post it. I don't think he would want his or his son's feelings spread over the internet. Let's just say that- like the rest of us- he's concerned with the offense relying on a certain player having to run with the ball too often.

hmm the same thing everyone thought 4 games in last year lol. The offense just seems like a complete mess still

UConnNick

Reaction Score
It's funny how everyone reads things different....I was actually happy to hear they can open it up successfully in practice. Wouldn't it be worse if he was just as conservative in practice? To me...this says the game plan was to be conservative yesterday..and it almost bit them in the arse.

They don't practice wide open without a reason...I am going to assume it means that they can be offensively aggressive...but yesterday they chose not to be. That is much better than that they can't play wide open.

Yes..it still means that the gameplay sucked last night...but it gives me hope they learned their lesson and the offense has the capability of being aggressive.

If you're not going to open up your offensive gameplan against a mediocre I-AA opponent, when are you going to? The players aren't learning anything with the three yards and a cloud of dust approach. You have to do it against real teams in game situations, not just in practice. How are the players ever going to develop a confidence level in their ability to play a more wide open style if they're constantly being held back in games by playing it safe? It also indicates to them that the coaching staff has zero confidence in their ability to be successful playing that way. If you can't build up their confidence against Maine, when are you going to have another opportunity like that to do it?

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
If you're not going to open up your offensive gameplan against a mediocre I-AA opponent, when are you going to? The players aren't learning anything with the three yards and a cloud of dust approach. You have to do it against real teams in game situations, not just in practice. How are the players ever going to develop a confidence level in their ability to play a more wide open style if they're constantly being held back in games by playing it safe? It also indicates to them that the coaching staff has zero confidence in their ability to be successful playing that way. If you can't build up their confidence against Maine, when are you going to have another opportunity like that to do it?

I didn't say i agreed with the strategy....my point was that they had the capability and didn't show it. I agree with you. They needed to open it up and start building confidence. For some reason...they didn't. I hope that the reason is more than they didn't trust the offense to not lose the game.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Not sure if you are talking about the staff not having confidence in the players or in themselves. I actually think it's the latter. The coaches coach scared.

Reaction Score

Let's just say that- like the rest of us- he seemed concerned with the offense relying on a certain player having to run with the ball too often.

Taking the comments by Matt S here @ face value - there seems there is some decision making that needs to be improved on on the sidelines (FV) and on the field (BS) - not ignoring the OL issues nor conservative play calling history.

>> Shirreffs tucked and ran 20 times for 114 yards, but they were not all called runs, in fact, the majority didn't even have a run option for the quarterback. It's a habit that was seen a season ago and it's something he knows he needs to continue to work on. "It was definitely not in the game plan," Shirreffs reiterated. "None of the plays were called for me to run, all had a pass option. About five of them have an actual run option. It worked out, but it shouldn't have to be like that. I'm eager to get back to watching the tape and seeing what we can improve on."<<

Reaction Score

I was fine taking the first two possessions to see if we could physically overmatch them. When that didn't happen, the approach needed to change.

Reaction Score
Jacobs is right, if we're left at the P5 altar again, what we showed last night will be the reason.

The Big XII doesn't just want a football program that can win games, but one that will draw eyeballs. They're about an up-tempo, high-flying, exciting brand of football. We're NPR in the era of rock and roll.

Even when we do win, nobody wants to watch a product that boring, unimaginative, ugly and inept looking. Diaco is not the coach to get us playing an exciting, fun-to-watch style of offense. And as far as building a fan-base, a brand, drawing eyeballs and P5 attention, that may be just as important as winning games.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
Not sure if you are talking about the staff not having confidence in the players or in themselves. I actually think it's the latter. The coaches coach scared.

I was talking about the players, but your point about the coaching staff coaching scared is also well taken. It may be both.

MattMang23

Reaction Score
Taking the comments by Matt S here @ face value - there seems there is some decision making that needs to be improved on on the sidelines (FV) and on the field (BS) - not ignoring the OL issues nor conservative play calling history.

>> Shirreffs tucked and ran 20 times for 114 yards, but they were not all called runs, in fact, the majority didn't even have a run option for the quarterback. It's a habit that was seen a season ago and it's something he knows he needs to continue to work on. "It was definitely not in the game plan," Shirreffs reiterated. "None of the plays were called for me to run, all had a pass option. About five of them have an actual run option. It worked out, but it shouldn't have to be like that. I'm eager to get back to watching the tape and seeing what we can improve on."<<

He says all the right things. I like his attitude. And he must have nuts of steel to play the way he does. He's a tough kid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom