Angst About Recruiting on the Syracuse Board | The Boneyard

Angst About Recruiting on the Syracuse Board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
After reading some comments here about the Syracuse board relative to Dior Johnson I took a break from sanding my front door and looked through a recruiting thread. Some consistency there regarding why they've fallen on hard times and some significant infighting. They blame JB for his unwillingness to go on the road recruiting, JB's age being used against him, the second suspension, Hopkins leaving and Autry and GMac failing to fill the void and not closing on top recruits, the zone, not allowing the kids to play freely and run on offense and more:

1. Excuses on recruiting failures and kids not making the right choices:
"The most recent suspension, "hmmm, let me think, what happened in 2015 that could have impacted recruiting?"
"I also will acknowledge, that JB may be hesitant to bend rules like in the past due to getting hit by the NCAA 2X."
"So that covers 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021? The ol' 7 year penalty in which they are now only allowed to bring kids in that are about an average ranking of 150. I must have missed the details where that penalty goes on in perpetuity."
" I wish we all could go into our bosses office (in this case the head coach) and blame our poor sales performance on customers (in this case players) just practicing their god given freedom and right to choose someone else's product."

2. JB doesn't like to go on the road recruiting anymore so it's left to Autry and GMac.
Pandemic benefit to JB: "JB has been better with the recruiting and making contact during a pandemic bc he doesn’t need to leave the house!"
"JB doesn’t travel and recruit anymore. You guys wanna blame Gmac so much but lemmme share a little story... I got recruited by SEC and Big East programs to play Division 1 golf at the highest level. I thoroughly enjoyed the process and it was a crazy 3 years of recruiting. But You know who called me? THE HEAD COACH. You know who visited me? THE HEAD COACH

3. Hopkins was lead recruiter and left because JB limited him. He felt if he couldn't recruit and set up the team the way he'd want it he couldn't be successful.
"JB wasn’t giving him the keys to the operation till he was out. Which was setting Hop up for failure at SU. So because Hop thinks of JB as family as they are he didn’t want to force JB out and left for Washington. JB didn’t have to retire and Hop saved face. Has immediately started recruiting well at Washington."
"This was years ago when Hop still thought he was taking over the program, Hop told a few guys that when he takes over gmac needs to produce or he is out."
"It started with preparation for the 2016 OLyMPICS. JB took Hop (#1 recruiter at the time) away from the program. Their absence left GMAC ?? in charge. "

4. Poor use of talented recruits due to the offense they run.
"talent can win games, but I don’t think the “system” is right For 95 out of 100 kids. Gonna say that flat out. The short bench. The zone. The lack of freedom to just play.
""Kids are realizing the path is much easier to go to a school where they don’t have to change for a system and they can be themselves as a player. Jalen Carey is a perfect example here. The kid could flat out play. But the system for Jalen Carey was the worst possible scenario BC it took away his natural ability to play the game he’s really good at ... so that’s why we lose talent that’s really good." (This could bode well for PC with Carey and URI with Goodine)

5. Recruiting has picked up the last couple years. Included lengthy comparison to how well they compare to Villanova the last 3 years:
"I'm confident in saying that our last 5 additions, griffin, woody, kadary, frank (anselem), and benny (williams) are as good as the last 5 for nova & most of the acc as well"
"We have some nice players coming in and need them to hit. Jalen Carey was a 4 star. Brycen Goodine was a 4 Star. They both didn’t pop here. The same people defending recruiting would blame those kids rather than the coaches who brought them in. "
On Carey and Goodine: "Neither of those guys think they can take Kadary, that's the bottom line. Good luck to them at their new schools."

Quote of the thread about how Anselem is better than Etienne and Richmond is better than AJ:

-dior is out and there is no equivalent but of some of the other "big fish" i'd point out that
-benny > roddy (No argument here) But, some on their site are comparing Benny to Melo..........Anthony, not Fab.
-frank > or at worst = to micawber or isiah jackson (Overlooking the fact Anselem is rated #193 overall and #30 center in his class)
-kadary > or at worst = to andre (I'm guessing he means our AJ)
-again, the last 4 signees (the three above plus woody} are all 4 star players and all good-to-excellent system fits. (Anselem is a 3 star as far as I could see)

Reaction Score
It is 2020. The main thing that is different about basketball from decades ago is that shooting is much better and coaches finally encourage players to jack 3’s. To mostly play a zone in this environment is extremely stubborn and foolish. Also, it is so important for guys who want to make the nba to be able to play man to man...I’m telling any 4 star kid that has a borderline shot at the nba eventually that he has no chance if he doesn’t learn how to play man to man.

Reaction Score
My hunch has always bern that SU, desiring to be "New York's Team" , used its influence to exclude UConn from inclusion in the ACC. Consequently there is no team I root against more than Syracuse.

I wish UConn would schedule SU in mens basketball each season. If they can't play SU in MSG then go to the Carrier Dome and have them come to Gampel.

Reaction Score
My hunch has always bern that SU, desiring to be "New York's Team" , used its influence to exclude UConn from inclusion in the ACC. Consequently there is no team I root against more than Syracuse.

I wish UConn would schedule SU in mens basketball each season. If they can't play SU in MSG then go to the Carrier Dome and have them come to Gampel.
Hoping to play them next year in the 2021 Battle 4 Atlantis. In fact, I'm hoping to attend.
Cuse and UConn should play every season, really hope we can make that happen starting in 2022. It’s a no brainer, we need to re-establish this rivalry.

I am also planning to attend Battle 4 Atlantis, one of the best non conference tournaments. Should be a great time and good showing for UConn.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Cuse and UConn should play every season, really hope we can make that happen starting in 2022. It’s a no brainer, we need to re-establish this rivalry.

I am also planning to attend Battle 4 Atlantis, one of the best non conference tournaments. Should be a great time and good showing for UConn.
While I get why some don’t like Cuse.they were easily the team we liked to play and beat the most. Aside from the fact that I have family up there who I like to tease when we beat them (and they me) I miss that rivalry. We haven’t had any nearly the same.

Reaction Score
Probably doesn’t help that Boeheim just tested positive for the bug.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Thought this was it....resignation time....but nope...

Reaction Score
While I get why some don’t like Cuse.they were easily the team we liked to play and beat the most. Aside from the fact that I have family up there who I like to tease when we beat them (and they me) I miss that rivalry. We haven’t had any nearly the same.
Syracuse should be a top priority in nonconference play, maybe even the top priority. I just think it makes way too much sense. We’ve seen some great smack talking between Louisville/Kentucky, Xavier/Cinci this off-season. I want that, just feels like a natural fit for our non conference schedule to play Cuse every year.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
As fun as it has been to play SU in many of the recent seasons (especially fun when we woop them) it’s just not the same in November/December on a neutral court as playing them on a campus in February, or back at MSG in March.

Reaction Score
Upstate NY is dead. Syracuse makes Hartford look vibrant. Place is an absolute ghost town./QUOTE]

This is true.

Columbus Bakery flats are pretty damn good. Other than that I’m not sure theres much redeeming about Syracuse.

Reaction Score
@Watchdog yeah but how'd the door come out?

It's stained and needs a new coat of polyurethane and I'm doing light scuffing on both it and the side lights a little each day so I don't feel like it's drudgery. We have some nice weather coming up, with temps in the low 70's and sun, so there's no hurry.
Are you a wood worker? If so, do you work cheap?

Reaction Score

The "Library" bar in the Hotel Syracuse was a fine hangout for happy hour on Fridays back in the late 70's. Is it still there?

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I like playing Syracuse at MSG. It is a really great basketball environment. I would take that game whenever they are willing to schedule it, but there is a little less urgency now that we are going to be playing in MSG regularly.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I like playing Syracuse at MSG. It is a really great basketball environment. I would take that game whenever they are willing to schedule it, but there is a little less urgency now that we are going to be playing in MSG regularly.

I don't see them as a rival anymore. I would prefer to work on new rivalries with elite programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom