Andy Landers Just said Something Really Smart | The Boneyard

Andy Landers Just said Something Really Smart

Reaction Score
At halftime, he was praising UConn: he said that as a coach he always put a number on the board, something for his team to reach for. In WCBB that number is generally 82, 83, 84. And that UConn typically exceeds that.

I doubt Andy had free wings on his mind--though you never know :)

But what he confirmed is something that Geno has said so many times in so many ways. Although he puts a fantastic amount of time into teaching defense, he always shines to the "scoring lots of points" aspect. He rarely says: that's a great team, because it's a great defense; he often says: that's a great team because they score a lot of points. What he means, I guess, is that in the women's game there are a lot more misses (the top men just don't miss those bunnies), and if you can score a lot of points, you're pressing your opponent to match you and the chances are your opponent just won't.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Offense is great but I still enjoy watching our defense when it is clicking positionally. Holding Duke to 20 in the first half was the difference when we were not firing on all cylinders.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Offense is great but I still enjoy watching our defense when it is clicking positionally. Holding Duke to 20 in the first half was the difference when we were not firing on all cylinders.
Yes, defense wins championships. But offense. Offense brings out the cameras, and puts butts in seats.

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Bags is creating click bait with a thread title that, on its face, is so very unlikely. :)
I once had a boss who hailed from Arkansas. He was fond of saying "Even a blind hog gets an acorn once in awhile". :)

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
I once had a boss who hailed from Arkansas. He was fond of saying "Even a blind hog gets an acorn once in awhile". :)
Translation for us Connecticut Yankees is "even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile"....

Orangutan

South Bend Simian
Reaction Score

Or you could look at it the other way. Duke's defense had UConn misfiring but their offense wasn't good enough to take advantage.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Or you could look at it the other way. Duke's defense had UConn misfiring but their offense wasn't good enough to take advantage.

I do not think so. UConn had a large number of good shots from the outside that they just missed. Yes, Duke's zone clogged the middle a bit but not more than most imho. The only game in recent memory that I felt we did not get enough good shots was the Miss St game.

Reaction Score
My confidence in UCONN always comes from the fact that we are the superior defensive team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom