Andy Katz with the hot take | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andy Katz with the hot take

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't know that you can use a 38-1 season that ends with a loss in the Final Four to prove your point that a model isn't working, particularly when that same program has been to 4 of the last 5 final fours. Most people would say that Calipari's system is working pretty well. I think it would be better to just agree that winning a national championship is tough, you need to catch a couple breaks, and even teams that are dominant for virtually all of the season fall short. If you want to find a program to use as an indictment of the one and done model, I don't think Kentucky is your team.

I know, the foregoing makes me a Calipari lover or something like that.

I mostly agree with this, but it's worth mentioning that Cal's two best teams since arriving at Kentucky (2012 and 2015) also returned several key contributors from the year prior. When there has been massive turnover, the process has been more bumpy albeit still successful. If Kentucky loses the rumored seven players from this years team, I'm not sure that's a wound even the best recruiting class can bandage.

Reaction Score
I don't disagree, but I also think that people on here talk about Calipari's system or the one and done model as if that means complete roster turnover every year, and for a variety of reasons that's almost never going to be the case. Guys get hurt, guys realize they need another year to work on their game, they aren't ready to be professionals, whatever the reason, you're virtually never going to start from scratch.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MTSuitsky
Top Bottom