Andrew Hurley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andrew Hurley

Reaction Score
Exactly, and It would have to be the perfect situation. I can’t see him leaving to coach the Cleveland Cavaliers or Denver Nuggets. Northeast teams, like I said before would worry me.

if the cavs or Nuggets offer 5 mil a year he would leave in a heartbeat.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
When asked about coaching in the NBA Hurley was quite clear, "That would be my goal."

So if he wins big and quickly at UConn and becomes a hot commodity, nice to know he has a reason to hang around. Just sayin'.
The circumstance where Hurley leaves UConn to go to the NBA would require him to accomplish things at UConn that were beyond our wildest dreams in the second half of the Ollie era.

Reaction Score
if the cavs or Nuggets offer 5 mil a year he would leave in a heartbeat.
Im hoping he follows in his fathers foot steps. I could only imagine the offers Bob Sr got from colleges during his long career at St Anthony. He could have made millions jumping to the next level as a college coach, but he was happy at St Anthony’s, still made a good living for himself and did not jump to college just for the greed.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Im hoping he follows in his fathers foot steps. I could only imagine the offers Bob Sr got from colleges during his long career at St Anthony. He could have made millions jumping to the next level as a college coach, but he was happy at St Anthony’s, still made a good living for himself and did not jump to college just for the greed.
Technically If he followed in his father's footsteps he never would have went to Wagner

Reaction Score
If Hurley leaves that means he probably won a national championship or we were consistent threats in the NCAAs, put plenty of top notch players into the pros and developed players into pro material.

That will take another 3+ years at minimum.

If he goes to the pros after 5-6 years at UConn, we should be happy he was our coach, and we'd have our (to my knowledge) first UConn coach alum heading up an NBA team. Pretty cool.

Then it's on our AD to find a suitable replacement to keep up the culture Hurley created.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
If Hurley leaves that means he probably won a national championship or we were consistent threats in the NCAAs, put plenty of top notch players into the pros and developed players into pro material.

That will take another 3+ years at minimum.

If he goes to the pros after 5-6 years at UConn, we should be happy he was our coach, and we'd have our (to my knowledge) first UConn coach alum heading up an NBA team. Pretty cool.

Then it's on our AD to find a suitable replacement to keep up the culture Hurley created.
Correct and even in this situation we wouldn't have to start from scratch. We could build off of the success that Hurley already had.

Reaction Score
After thinking about what DH has said and done over the past two years, my bet is he's going nowhere anytime soon, especially if he wins championships.

He's always presented himself as valuing loyalty and he's shown his loyalty to the kids he inherited.

He said emotionally, and emphatically, when he was hired that UConn was a dream job, a school he admired since he was at Seton Hall for its tenacity, its style of play, its championships and its fan base.

He honestly comes across as a "regular guy" who really enjoys what he's doing, perhaps even more than the money he's making (I know for some it's hard to believe, but there really are people like that) and seems most comfortable in t-shirts and jeans, whereas the Selfs/Caliparis of the world always look ready for their next ESPN interview.

As far as saying the ultimate job is to be an NBA Head Coach:
--sure, the challenge of coaching and winning in the NBA might be a big draw to someone who's confident and successful as a coach; but
--it's also a good strategy to mention other opportunities to plant the seed for future contract extensions and salary increases. It worked for KO when "the rock star" feared he'd leave for "the league", and Calipari was famous for having his agent deny he had any interest in a number of big jobs that came open when he was still damaged goods in most schools' eyes and there was no interest; plus
--if you're winning championships and racking up wins maybe you realize you can make a special mark in the college game if you're concerned about a legacy; and
--working with college kids who are excited to learn and improve their skills just might be more appealing than dealing with a dozen or more big egos that don't listen to you in the huddle; and
--being able to be successful at what you love doing while remaining in your home region and near your parents might carry some weight too; but most importantly
--how could anyone walk away from the Boneyard and the support of Chief?

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Selfishly and I know I'm stating the obvious here, I would love for Danny to have a long-term view of his relationship with UConn. After the KO let down and the toll of the AAC on our reputation, we desperately need the stability.

Reaction Score
Technically If he followed in his father's footsteps he never would have went to Wagner
I guess that is true, but I'm talking about staying at the college level as opposed to making the jump to the NBA. My honest opinion, and this is not a knock on DH, nor is this me being biased because I want him to stay, but I do not think DH has the personality to coach in the NBA. I felt the same way about Calhoun as well. I mean just think about it, how many NBA coaches have that intense personality on he sidelines? I cannot think of any. That is because you need to somewhat cater to your stars and players if you are an NBA coach.

Reaction Score
I guess that is true, but I'm talking about staying at the college level as opposed to making the jump to the NBA. My honest opinion, and this is not a knock on DH, nor is this me being biased because I want him to stay, but I do not think DH has the personality to coach in the NBA. I felt the same way about Calhoun as well. I mean just think about it, how many NBA coaches have that intense personality on he sidelines? I cannot think of any. That is because you need to somewhat cater to your stars and players if you are an NBA coach.
I feel the same way. Hurley would clash w NBA personalities

Reaction Score
I think Dan has the self awareness to know what works and what doesn’t at the different levels, or the humility to learn, as he’s done here so far

As it stands now, I want him to be at UConn for a very long time

Reaction Score
The idea is to have a driven coach that the NBA wants, but to have him so wrapped up in UConn that he can’t leave. We’ve been able to hang onto basketball coaches. I don’t think Dan will be dying to leave UConn for an NBA job when the opportunity arises. Part of it is where he comes from, he’s grown up among coaches that work with with kids. His family legacy is working with kids.

The other side of it is that he’s near his parents and lifelong friends in the Northeast. UConn is a comfortable fit He always talks about the fan base and how great it is. CT loves UConn. He ain’t seen nothing yet. We are about to take it to another level.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I dont think anyone realizes how much Dan would have to accomplish to even be on the NBAs radar. He'd have to become Cal, Beilein, Donovan level successful.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
The idea is to have a driven coach that the NBA wants, but to have him so wrapped up in UConn that he can’t leave. We’ve been able to hang onto basketball coaches. I don’t think Dan will be dying to leave UConn for an NBA job when the opportunity arises. Part of it is where he comes from, he’s grown up among coaches that work with with kids. His family legacy is working with kids.

The other side of it is that he’s near his parents and lifelong friends in the Northeast. UConn is a comfortable fit He always talks about the fan base and how great it is. CT loves UConn. He ain’t seen nothing yet. We are about to take it to another level.
Do you and Dana O'Neil know something we don't?

Sorry guys. Try the free trial.

Reaction Score
The key phrase in Hurley's statement of NBA interest. "I would love someday, way down the road, hopefully after accomplishing some amazing things here..."

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Every legendary coach had NBA aspirations at one time. It comes down to their individual tolerance of recruiting vs managing millionaires, job security vs money, and calling your own shots vs resources.

Of course, Hurley would have the NBA in his head, just like Ollie did. How did that work out.

If Hurley lives up expectations, he won't leave. If he doesn't, we won't care. If he's in the middle (a few S16/E8/F4 appearances) and it looks like that is the ceiling, then he'll jump like Brad Stevens did.

Brad had a choice of trying to repeat his magic at a bigger school or go to the NBA. That is the context to discuss Hurley, except we aren't Butler, or at least we still think that.

When that changes, then worry about it.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Every legendary coach had NBA aspirations at one time. It comes down to their individual tolerance of recruiting vs managing millionaires, job security vs money, and calling your own shots vs resources.

Of course, Hurley would have the NBA in his head, just like Ollie did. How did that work out.

If Hurley lives up expectations, he won't leave. If he doesn't, we won't care. If he's in the middle (a few S16/E8/F4 appearances) and it looks like that is the ceiling, then he'll jump like Brad Stevens did.

Brad had a choice of trying to repeat his magic at a bigger school or go to the NBA. That is the context to discuss Hurley, except we aren't Butler, or at least we still think that.

When that changes, then worry about it.

DH is built and trained mentally for the college game - no way is he NBA material now and I don't see it in him
KO should have stayed in the NBA arena - it fits him and that is his comfort zone - always has been an NBA guy - he relates to that type of athlete vs the college kids
Brad Stevens is an extremely rare breed - he has the mental aptitude and that special demeanor that allowed him to transition and succeed in both arenas - something that is so rare - I don't see that at all in DH

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom