Andrew Bailey | The Boneyard

Andrew Bailey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Might need surgery and Valentine said he could be out for awhile. Who could have seen this coming.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Maybe Aceves can start AND close games.

Reaction Score
Bailey has to have thumb surgery. No time set for his return but it will not be before all-star break. That's just his thumb. He has a fragile arm waiting to break down when he does come back.

Reaction Score
The Yanks may have some arm problems of there own. Pineda has alot of red flags.

Reaction Score
The Yanks may have some arm problems of there own. Pineda has alot of red flags.

True, but they also have Pettitte coming back. Pineda also had an MRI and there was no damage, just tendinitis.

Can't wait for friday for the season to start (not counting the Japan games).

Reaction Score
Do you find it strange that Seattle would trade Pineda after his great rookie year?

Reaction Score
Do you find it strange that Seattle would trade Pineda after his great rookie year?

Yes, I do. I didn't like the trade at the time but what can I do? The first thing I thought when I heard this is Tommy John surgery, but this is good news.

At least the Yankees have Gary Sanchez in the system to make up for Montero. Has his hitting ability but can also catch.

Reaction Score
Might need surgery and Valentine said he could be out for awhile. Who could have seen this coming.
This team may finish will likely finish 3rd and possibly 4th in the division. Bailey will be out 3-4 months and the Sox really don't have anyone who can step into the closers role.There are also questions about Crawford's health. The yankees are stronger, Tampa Bay's starting rotation is outstanding and Toronto is better.
Injuries are part of the game but teams are rarely healthier than they are opening day. The Sox seem to have picked up another curse but this one is injuries.

Reaction Score
I have the Sox in third they still have a ton of talent. Pitching wise they broke up the best pen in baseball in baseball last year for no good reason. Papelbon was a head case but he got great results. Why a team who's had injury issues picked up a closer with a history of arm trouble is odd. Melancon can close, he did a nice job with Houston but the AL East is a beast. By not picking up a 4th and 5th starter Boston is raping its pen of depth to fill starts. If Beckett goes on the DL this team will be in huge trouble.

Reaction Score
Who could have seen a fluke thumb injury coming on a grounder down the first base line?
I guess I'm the only one who didn't see this coming.

Reaction Score
I have the Sox in third they still have a ton of talent. Pitching wise they broke up the best pen in baseball in baseball last year for no good reason. Papelbon was a head case but he got great results. Why a team who's had injury issues picked up a closer with a history of arm trouble is odd. Melancon can close, he did a nice job with Houston but the AL East is a beast. By not picking up a 4th and 5th starter Boston is raping its pen of depth to fill starts. If Beckett goes on the DL this team will be in huge trouble.
Yeah for no good reason. Other than the fact that by not breaking it up they would have to give a 31 year old closer a better deal than the 4 year/$50 mil deal with a 5th year option he got from the Phillies.
I mean other than that....

By the way, it's nice to see the Papelbon haters finally admitting how good he was now that he's not in a Sox uniform.

Reaction Score
Yeah for no good reason. Other than the fact that by not breaking it up they would have to give a 31 year old closer a better deal than the 4 year/$50 mil deal with a 5th year option he got from the Phillies.
I mean other than that....

By the way, it's nice to see the Papelbon haters finally admitting how good he was now that he's not in a Sox uniform.

The Red Sox are worried about money? The same ownership that bid against themselves to get Crawford for 7 years at 142 mil.

I never said Papelbon was a bad pitcher but I will remember him fondly for the homer he gave up to Dan Johnson at Fenway in 2008.

I think its only a matter of time before the Sox overpay for Roy Oswalt.

Reaction Score
Who could have seen a fluke thumb injury coming on a grounder down the first base line?
I guess I'm the only one who didn't see this coming.

He is on the DL every year. That's why.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox are worried about money? The same ownership that bid against themselves to get Crawford for 7 years at 142 mil.

I never said Papelbon was a bad pitcher but I will remember him fondly for the homer he gave up to Dan Johnson at Fenway in 2008.

I think its only a matter of time before the Sox overpay for Roy Oswalt.

The Red Sox are "worried about money" in the sense that they have a budget, albeit a high one. Their cap tends to be right around what the luxury tax usually is. For what it's worth, Boston's policy is to try not to give relievers big contracts because of the way their performances fluctuate. Hell, look at Papelbon's year in 2010, wasn't nearly as good as 2011. If they wanted to give Papelbon a long term contract they would have done years ago instead of settling arbitration with him each year. Bailey will be making 8-10 mil less per year than Paps over the next two years.

Regarding Oswalt, I don't see it. I assume he'll pitch in his comfort zone, either in the NL or an AL place closer to his home.
Dice K is scheduled to come back in June and they have Aaron Cook biding his time in Pawtucket so there 4/5 spots will likely have backups without Oswalt.

Reaction Score
He is on the DL every year. That's why.
Because of arm injuries (shoulder/elbow/forearm). This was a thumb injury that came on a bang bang play when he covered first because the first baseman couldn't field the ball cleanly. Had nothing to do with the duress that comes with throwing a baseball.

Regarding this notion that as soon as he comes back his arm will fall off, I actually think the opposite will happen. His arm will have four months of rest headed into the second half of the year. If Boston can stay in it until July or August, it may actually be a blessing in disguise.

Reaction Score
Well they rolled the dice on Bailey and lost. Like Z said, Bailey spends time on the DL every year. Papelbon was a bull pitching in at least 59 games each of last 6 years. I love to see the Sox wheel out Cook, Dice K, Bard, Doubront, Padilla and the rest. Cherington is asking an awful lot of the big 3.

Reaction Score
Since when is one red flag the same as "alot" ? His velocity was down a little this spring so he tried to overthrow and ended up screwing up his mechanics and putting too much stress on his shoulder. What other "red flags" are you aware of ?

Reaction Score
Yes, I do. I didn't like the trade at the time but what can I do? The first thing I thought when I heard this is Tommy John surgery, but this is good news.

At least the Yankees have Gary Sanchez in the system to make up for Montero. Has his hitting ability but can also catch.
The Mariners offense is non-existent and they have three other phenoms behind Pineda. That's why they made the deal.

Reaction Score
The Red Sox are "worried about money" in the sense that they have a budget, albeit a high one. Their cap tends to be right around what the luxury tax usually is. For what it's worth, Boston's policy is to try not to give relievers big contracts because of the way their performances fluctuate. Hell, look at Papelbon's year in 2010, wasn't nearly as good as 2011. If they wanted to give Papelbon a long term contract they would have done years ago instead of settling arbitration with him each year. Bailey will be making 8-10 mil less per year than Paps over the next two years.

Regarding Oswalt, I don't see it. I assume he'll pitch in his comfort zone, either in the NL or an AL place closer to his home.
Dice K is scheduled to come back in June and they have Aaron Cook biding his time in Pawtucket so there 4/5 spots will likely have backups without Oswalt.
Nonsense. By Fangraphs.com's count, Papelbon's performance would cost $62 million to replace between 2006 and 2011. Averaging exactly $10 mil per year. The Sox are already proving his value.

Reaction Score
Since when is one red flag the same as "alot" ? His velocity was down a little this spring so he tried to overthrow and ended up screwing up his mechanics and putting too much stress on his shoulder. What other "red flags" are you aware of ?

I'll give you 5 "red flags". 1) In 2009 he missed most of the season due to an elbow strain. 2) After a dominating first 3/4 th of his rookie season he ran out of steam down the stretch losing velocity. 3) The Mariners trade what looks like a future ace to the yanks after one season. Who has ever done that? Why trade such a great young arm under team control for a promising DH? To me it dosen't add up. Did the Mariners know something the yanks didn't? 4) After getting no run support in Seattle, Pineda shows up to his firs spring training for the greatest team in baseball history out of shape and overweight. 5) Lack of velocity in spring training and the discovery of shoulder tendinitis. Comeback date TBD.

I would be worried about this cat if I was a Yanker.

Reaction Score
Nonsense. By Fangraphs.com's count, Papelbon's performance would cost $62 million to replace between 2006 and 2011. Averaging exactly $10 mil per year. The Sox are already proving his value.
If Papelbon was 26 when he was getting a 5 yr deal I would have no qualms what so ever. He's 31. I'm not sure I understand your point, but that's not really too suprising.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom