Andre The Giant And The Giant German. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre The Giant And The Giant German.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Since AD is from CT and is like real big, how about the Charter Oak. Yeah, that one s*cks even for my low standards. As for Niels & Wolf in together at the same time, how about Blitzkrieg. It is a military all out attack. I don't think it has any Nazi connotation, but if some find it too close of a connection, I do apologize.

It must be the prolonged days w/out power, which we just got back this afternoon, but I got nuttin'.

Reaction Score
Not much relevance but this thread made me think of this pic. Andre the giant and the Austrian?

andreconanwilt.jpg

Reaction Score
Since AD is from CT and is like real big, how about the Charter Oak. Yeah, that one s*cks even for my low standards. As for Niels & Wolf in together at the same time, how about Blitzkrieg. It is a military all out attack. I don't think it has any Nazi connotation, but if some find it too close of a connection, I do apologize.

It must be the prolonged days w/out power, which we just got back this afternoon, but I got nuttin'.

Wolf and Blitzer?

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My advice to Joe D would be to call the game straight up. You're a natural broadcaster whose enthusiasm for the sport and the team come through just fine without the need for any shtick. Leave the canned catchphrases for the hacks that need them as a crutch.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

Reaction Score
Enosch Wolf = "The Berlin Wall"
I like the sound of it, but I believe Neils is the one from Berlin while Wolf is from some other area of Germany. But most probably don't know that, so I still like it.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
Perhaps "Nails" if he gets his 3pt shot going for him this season
I like Nails for Giffey. I think that should be his mentality on the court this year. Mental toughness, cool resolve, Nails. It's perfect.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I'd say that the good WTF greatly outweighs the bad WTF so far, I have never seen a guy his size move that well.
I'm not criticizing the kid at all. After seeing him in a Gumby and cow suit, I come away feeling this kid is real and doesn't take himself too seriously. And I think that is a great attribute for a potential future star.

After watching him drive for that dunk I got a WTF. And then you see him take some off balance toss ups when he's even closer to the basket and I say WTF.

If AD were to play like KFree, KW, Ray Allen or TO than there is no stopping him. But I'm not sure this is his personality. A lot of us presume that there is a simple on/off switch to get ourselves to play every play like its our last play. But that isn't true. That tenacity is either something programmed in our genes, or it is ingrained in us at an early age. Without one of these two things, people tend to be more laid back or easy going. This isn't a bad thing or a good thing. This is just who we are.

I don't believe a lot of fans understand or accept my explanation of personalities. So I expect a lot of people on this board to be confuse by AD, hence the WTF for both good and bad.

Reaction Score
Speaking of German hoopsters, Al McGuire told a story about when Washington State had 2 Germans on their roster. Detleif Shremfp was one of them. These were the early days of European hoopsters coming to play at American colleges.
Washington State was scheduled to play at Duke. Naturally, the dookies are known for their colorful descriptions of opponents players.
Coach K, hoping to avoid an embarassing situation, for the school, addressed the students. He pleaded with them to not make any, let's say, WWII German references. So, when Washington State came on the floor, the dookies unfurled a banner saying "Welcome to the Washington State Huskies....As American as Apple....Strudle......."

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Speaking of German hoopsters, Al McGuire told a story about when Washington State had 2 Germans on their roster. Detleif Shremfp was one of them. These were the early days of European hoopsters coming to play at American colleges.
Washington State was scheduled to play at Duke. Naturally, the dookies are known for their colorful descriptions of opponents players.
Coach K, hoping to avoid an embarassing situation, for the school, addressed the students. He pleaded with them to not make any, let's say, WWII German references. So, when Washington State came on the floor, the dookies unfurled a banner saying "Welcome to the Washington State Huskies....As American as Apple....Strudle......."
I remember that. It was hilarious.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm not criticizing the kid at all. After seeing him in a Gumby and cow suit, I come away feeling this kid is real and doesn't take himself too seriously. And I think that is a great attribute for a potential future star.

After watching him drive for that dunk I got a WTF. And then you see him take some off balance toss ups when he's even closer to the basket and I say WTF.
It was his first 2 exhibition games.
If AD were to play like KFree, KW, Ray Allen or TO than there is no stopping him. But I'm not sure this is his personality. A lot of us presume that there is a simple on/off switch to get ourselves to play every play like its our last play. But that isn't true. That tenacity is either something programmed in our genes, or it is ingrained in us at an early age. Without one of these two things, people tend to be more laid back or easy going. This isn't a bad thing or a good thing. This is just who we are.

I don't believe a lot of fans understand or accept my explanation of personalities. So I expect a lot of people on this board to be confuse by AD, hence the WTF for both good and bad.

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
A lot of us presume that there is a simple on/off switch to get ourselves to play every play like its our last play. But that isn't true.

The coaching staff mentioned that they had a hard time getting Lamb to understand the kind of intensity they were looking for. Then one day, he just "got it," as if a switch suddenly were turned on. Just an anecdote from the papers this summer.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
The coaching staff mentioned that they had a hard time getting Lamb to understand the kind of intensity they were looking for. Then one day, he just "got it," as if a switch suddenly were turned on. Just an anecdote from the papers this summer.
LOL. I guess I should amend my statement to some of us have on and off switches and in some of us we know where to find the switch.

Reaction Score
LOL. I guess I should amend my statement to some of us have on and off switches and in some of us we know where to find the switch.

Further amending to say that "all of us have an on/off switch."

The legends and great ones know how to stop hitting the off switch or keeping it 'on' longer than others. :)

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Further amending to say that "all of us have an on/off switch."

The legends and great ones know how to stop hitting the off switch or keeping it 'on' longer than others. :)
I'm a bell curve guy. I feel most everything about human nature has a bell curve where on one end there is "perfection" and on the other end there is a major problem and between each end there is a a scale of effectiveness and ineffectiveness. And I'm convinced most of us lie somewhere in between.

For instance eye sight. On one end of the scale are people with better than 20/20 vision. On the other there are people who are blind. And most of us fit somewhere in between this scale. And there are both genetic and environmental factors that can influence this. For instance people can be born blind for a variety of genetic factors, or they can be born with vision but lose their sight because of a number of environmental reasons.

Any attribute we characterize as a human attribute has this range imo. And that includes hustle, tenacity, aggressiveness and so on. Those on the lower end of the bell curve will always struggle for the particular attribute discussed.

Reaction Score

I didn't take your comment as criticism of AD at all. I was just expressing how pleasantly surprised I was with AD's play in the first two exhibitions. I tried not to buy into the hype and be conservative in expectations (as I am with all freshman), but the kid has an amazing combo of size and athleticism.

Reaction Score
Obviously, AD has sky high potential.
It will be interesting to see how he does.
Clearly, if he was motivated like some of the studs we've had in the past, he'd challenge to be a top 10 NBA player of all time.
Time will tell what his motivation level is.
I will not make any conclusions on this anytime soon.
It's far too easy to improperly conflate a lack of confidence with apathy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom