Andre Jackson | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson

Reaction Score
Andre has the ability to be the BEST passer on the team when his teammates CATCH his passes. He’s got tremendous vision and a lot of his turnovers aren’t careless. If he has players around him always ready for a no look pass and have good hands from a hard pass he can be a triple-double player.

Reaction Score
I'll get eviscerated for these observations, but repeatedly losing games that are winnable causes angst and reflection. Andre is among the least of the team problems.
  1. Freshman Akok was all over the court. Post-injury junior Akok camps out at the 3-point line and runs through the paint like he's on hot coals (perhaps by design to give Adama room). Not sure if it is in his head or physical limitations. His game is starting to look like Polley's.
  2. Whaley has lost muscle mass during the off season. He looks weak and his play has been consistent with that (fainting, maybe long COVID). Can't understand the constant refrain that Sampson needs to get stronger to get on the court. He is bigger than most.
  3. Gaffney is nearly unplayable and it's alarming Diggins cannot beat him out. The redshirt decision on Floyd is appearing like Hurley was protecting Gaffney's minutes. Floyd looks strong, tough, and competitive. We sort of need that.
  4. Right now, Hawkins is not looking like the "next one." Not saying he will not get there, but it's not imminent.
  5. Polley is what he has been. Don't dislike him; it is what is is.
  6. It's been said that we are winning 30% of our 50/50 games. I think that is being overly generous. Hurley's record against ranked teams and 50/50 games is awful.
  7. Auburn was a good win, but pointing to our OT victory over VCU as testament to being able to win close games? It's VCU!
  8. And then all the issues with in-game adjustments, substitutions, end of game plays,...
Despite the limitations, Hurley and crew have coached this team to be competitively good, but unfortunately, it's not a team that equipped to survive long in the pressure-packed tourney. There's still time, but tons of stuff to address.

Reaction Score
The turnovers trying to make something out of nothing I could live with. What drives me nuts is you have a 6’7” kid with the handle of a 2 guard who takes his man off the dribble and has a path to the rim and refuses again and again to go to the rim hard and take contact.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I don't know that I'd say "reactive". I think he does have a plan and reads the options, actually sees them before they happen like no one since Nadav and Marcus. His problem is, as you say. he is often too fast, too far ahead to either give himself more options or provide the right delivery. Some of it results in catching guys off guard but they had better start being more ready for his magic.
I don't see it that way. I think Andre has extraordinarily quick reactions, but I don't think he sees the whole floor well or the play developing. He just reacts faster than most. Sometimes you need to slow down to speed up.

Reaction Score
I think reality if finally striking. This is last year’s team with Akok taking over for Bouknight. At least based on playing time zero of the newcomers are nothing other than role players. Even granting bigs take longer to develop, those who never get off the bench seldom become stars. We really needed to get a solid guy from the portal. If you don’t have a freshman who can come in and play significant minutes you really need to go to 5he portal.

Reaction Score
The turnovers trying to make something out of nothing I could live with. What drives me nuts is you have a 6’7” kid with the handle of a 2 guard who takes his man off the dribble and has a path to the rim and refuses again and again to go to the rim hard and take contact.
Observation of a casual fan…
Don’t recall seeing any back door screens set for Ajax for an ally-oop to the rim. Seems like we should be getting one of those every game?

Reaction Score
He's still thinking too much. That one drive down the right side of the lane he should have tomahawked it but he threw up that awkward scoop layup instead.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I just love watching Andre play. He sees the floor so much better than anyone else on it, and his passes are so good that his teammates don't expect them sometimes which causes turnovers. He still has a bone headed turnover or two here and there, but he's improved on that over the last few weeks. I'm just going to continue to enjoy seeing his development, because when it's all said and done I feel confident in saying he'll be a fantastic player.

Reaction Score
No doubt it was a rant, but I was aware of that fact. Thought our aspirations we're higher that being pumped about an OT VCU win.
They're 53 in NET right now, if they move up a few spots that's a Q1 win. Seems like something we should be excited about

Reaction Score
They're 53 in NET right now, if they move up a few spots that's a Q1 win. Seems like something we should be excited about
Yeah, probably so. Pissed that we keep losing winnable games against quality opponents.

Reaction Score
Yeah it looks good on paper but that's an A-10 team that shot 35/23/58 with losses to Wagner and UT-Chatanooga and took us to OT. Would've beat us if Whaley didn't turn into Reggie Miller at the end of that game.

Reaction Score
He's still thinking too much. That one drive down the right side of the lane he should have tomahawked it but he threw up that awkward scoop layup instead.
I thought the same exact thing. He had a lane to take it hard and at the very least draw contact, at best tomahawk it. Instead you got exactly what you said, an awkward scoop layup and the Sanogo tip (frankly I thought he could have dunked or at the very least gotten a layup off that play). I see a bit too much finesse and not enough attack from this team.

Reaction Score
What would Andre Jackson average each night if he breaks out? Triple double per game?
I can easily see him averaging a double double with rebounds and points, but I think 6 or 7 assists is the realistic ceiling. I think we would all sign up for him averaging 12, 10, and 7 next season. At least I would.

Reaction Score
Yeah it looks good on paper but that's an A-10 team that shot 35/23/58 with losses to Wagner and UT-Chatanooga and took us to OT. Would've beat us if Whaley didn't turn into Reggie Miller at the end of that game.
But they didn't beat us. It works both ways, can't push back on all the hypotheticals in 1 direction about us almost being undefeated (which I agree are crazy) and then throw out hypotheticals in the other direction saying we almost lost in games we won

Reaction Score
Jackson's problem, like everyone else on the team, is he's unable or unwilling to create for himself and his tendencies are easily sniffed out by the opponent. Every time Jackson breaks down his man (which he is capable of), he only looks to pass.

We need someone who can take an opponent 1-on-1 and finish. Not having that is one of the biggest reasons we struggle in end-of-game scenarios. Cole looks to create for himself, but often gets stuffed at the rim when the defense collapses knowing they have to stop him. Gaffney can do it occasionally, but not consistently. Hawkins is incredibly weak with the ball. etc.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Simon

Top Bottom