Andre Jackson - Tony Hanson - Directed to the Boneyard Geezer Cohort | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson - Tony Hanson - Directed to the Boneyard Geezer Cohort

Reaction Score
Every time I see Andre Jackson on the court I am instantly transported back to the mid-seventies and his absolutely uncanny resemblance on the floor to the late great UConn legend Tony Hanson. Virtually identical physiques: Tony was 6’5”, 205 and Andre is 6’6”, 210. Both with the same fluidity and silkiness and quick feet that are all the more remarkable because of their size. Every time I saw Tony I would always marvel how he moved like a tall graceful guard, but could muscle up with the best of them. Ditto for Andre who is going to be a special player. Now if we can only get a point guard who could deliver dimes to Andre the way that Joey Whelton did for Tony.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
1613154390845.png

Love this picture of Hanson. You can see him thinking "you can't guard me."

Hangman Swami

Don’t tempt me.
Reaction Score
Every time I see Andre Jackson on the court I am instantly transported back to the mid-seventies and his absolutely uncanny resemblance on the floor to the late great UConn legend Tony Hanson. Virtually identical physiques: Tony was 6’5”, 205 and Andre is 6’6”, 210. Both with the same fluidity and silkiness and quick feet that are all the more remarkable because of their size. Every time I saw Tony I would always marvel how he moved like a tall graceful guard, but could muscle up with the best of them. Ditto for Andre who is going to be a special player. Now if we can only get a point guard who could deliver dimes to Andre the way that Joey Whelton did for Tony.
The physical resemblance is stunning. Same body, same hair.

Reaction Score
I have the exact same thoughts when I see him out there. It's just like seeing Tony Hanson again. The foul-line take-off and then the dunk.................

Reaction Score
I have the exact same thoughts when I see him out there. It's just like seeing Tony Hanson again. The foul-line take-off and then the dunk.................
Tony was a matchup nightmare for the opposing team. He came to a lot of games right up to his death last year always sitting next to Dee Rowe. If Andre can develop a pull up jumper like Tony he could be something special. Tony was farther along as a freshman. I remember him scoring 25 at the garden in the NIT his freshman year.

Reaction Score
Nailed it.

Reaction Score
I spent a little time with Tony as we were at UConn at the same time. Tony was a physical presence. Strong and tough are the first words that come to mind. Dre is more guard. Tony was more forward. Jackson is lankier and a better athlete. That isn't an insult to Tony. Jackson is more athletic than almost any former player, he is in the Burrell class.

Tony was also a genius at scoring inside. He was from day one his freshman year. Dre hasn't show the same ability to light up the scoreboard, yet.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
A few inches taller and Tony Hansen would have had a really good NBA career. He was great posting up against bigger players.
I was surprised he didn’t. There were several small forwards his size without his hops in the league at the time. Unfair to compare Jackson to a more mature Hanson, but Jackson has to show an outside shot Hanson could shoot and that allowed him to drive very effectively.

Reaction Score
I was surprised he didn’t. There were several small forwards his size without his hops in the league at the time. Unfair to compare Jackson to a more mature Hanson, but Jackson has to show an outside shot Hanson could shoot and that allowed him to drive very effectively.
Yeah. Maybe this sounds crazy but he seemed like Adrian Dantley. Went up against bigger players but found a way to score.

cohenzone

Old Member
Reaction Score
Yeah. Maybe this sounds crazy but he seemed like Adrian Dantley. Went up against bigger players but found a way to score.
Kinda although I think Dantley was a bit stronger. Jackson would do well to come close to either one of them.

I’m sold on great athletes who have very good basketball skills. I’m not sold on plain athleticism. Two of the greatest basketball players ever had very average overall pro level athleticism but were great players. Magic Johnson and Larry Bird. A great dunk is fun to watch but a hoop or two a game like that is kinda lukr warm if that’s what a player has to offer. Jackson supposedly has very good passing skills. And to be fair, he missed a load of game time through injury and game cancellations plus a screwed up pre season. I am looking forward to see what his whole package is.

Reaction Score
View attachment 64542

Love this picture of Hanson. You can see him thinking "you can't guard me."
That wild look in Tony’s eyes said you can try to stop me but you’re wasting your time.
I remember listening to the Syracuse game at their old Field house .
We got a lead and everytime they rallied Tony
answered back. It was him against them. It was their first home loss in 50-60 gams.

Reaction Score
Andre has barely played for us. Tony had a real talent for getting to the baseline with the dribble and scoring. He also was really good at mid-range jumpers and would use the glass often when near the hoop. I don't recall how often he took shots that could have been a 3. Jackson to me looks lanky whereas Tony was more solid. One thing I do know is Jackson has way more hops and is showing a great ability to pass the ball. He should watch some old tapes of Tony if the school has them. If AJ could get some of Tony's mid-range game he would be very hard to stop. It would require to be able to dribble into some traffic and have a turnaround jumper. I have a feeling other Coaches already have him on their radar as a future PIA they will have to deal with.

Reaction Score
Tony could shoot

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Andre has barely played for us. Tony had a real talent for getting to the baseline with the dribble and scoring. He also was really good at mid-range jumpers and would use the glass often when near the hoop. I don't recall how often he took shots that could have been a 3. Jackson to me looks lanky whereas Tony was more solid. One thing I do know is Jackson has way more hops and is showing a great ability to pass the ball. He should watch some old tapes of Tony if the school has them. If AJ could get some of Tony's mid-range game he would be very hard to stop. It would require to be able to dribble into some traffic and have a turnaround jumper. I have a feeling other Coaches already have him on their radar as a future PIA they will have to deal with.
Was not following Uconn when Tony played but the imagery (turnaround jumper) I am reading sounds a bit like 6-6 Bernard King although I only saw King as a pro and AJ is so much younger. I have a lot of hope in him. You have to have savvy to be a good passer and seeing others well is an added dimension (court awareness) to getting your own shot off. I think he has heart as well as talent. Just needs some confidence and putting in the hours in the gym on his shot. Great recruit.

Reaction Score
That wild look in Tony’s eyes said you can try to stop me but you’re wasting your time.
I remember listening to the Syracuse game at their old Field house .
We got a lead and everytime they rallied Tony
answered back. It was him against them. It was their first home loss in 50-60 gams.
My wife and I lived in Central NY at the time and went to that game...........probably the only UConn fans there as far as we could tell. Sat a few rows behind the UConn bench and got lots of nasty looks as we cheered for the good guys.
The crowd was so incensed near the end of the game someone threw a cup of ice on the floor towards the free throw line where a UConn player (Hanson I think) was about to seal the win.
Ugly fans, but can you blame them when it's so desolate there from November to April and there's nothing else to cheer for? Their fans were pretty arrogant at the Big East tournament for the first 10-12 years until 1990 when UConn began to own the tournament.

Reaction Score
Tony was an unbelievable player. Owned the baseline. Also a good guy. I remember him as more rugged than Jackson. He could take over a game.

Reaction Score

The last line of this post is not a throw away. We could really use Joey Whelton (the 1976 version). Joey was great floor general. I remember watching him as a freshman him calling the whole team together at the foul line to make sure everyone knew what they were suppose to do. Just a natural leader. Not the gaudiest assist numbers but over 80% from the charity stripe.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
The last line of this post is not a throw away. We could really use Joey Whelton (the 1976 version). Joey was great floor general. I remember watching him as a freshman him calling the whole team together at the foul line to make sure everyone knew what they were suppose to do. Just a natural leader. Not the gaudiest assist numbers but over 80% from the charity stripe.
Sounds like that young man we have coming in next year is a take charge guy and a half. He's our lead recruiter.

Reaction Score
Whelton was an East Catholic Eagle. Anyone remember the pre-Whelton East Catholic point guard who started for UConn, Doug Melody? Another solid leader.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom