Andre Jackson continues to impress | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Andre Jackson continues to impress

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
While Bouknight will get most of the attention (rightfully so), Jackson has played really well since his own return from injury and it feels like he's turned a corner.

Early in the year, Jackson struggled to find his role, pressing a bit too much as he adjusted to the college game. He struggled to find minutes before his injury. But now, he does so many things that help the team, it's hard to keep him off the floor.

Defensively, he's quickly become our best perimeter defender. He locked down Duke tonight. His length and athleticism is a real problem for opposing guards. He's quick and savvy to deny his man the ball altogether. He's not afraid to mix it up in the lane either... he's had a few uber-athletic blocks and skied for some rebounds among the bigs.

Offensively, he keeps the ball moving and gives our offense a nice flow. His solid ballhandling has really been a help, especially when Bouknight was out. We're starting to see his elite court vision and passing that was highly-touted coming out of HS. He made some great skip passes against Xavier that resulted in open looks.

Jackson's high IQ, court vision, and athletism allow him to shine in transition. His pass ahead to Whaley tonight was sublime.

Overall, Jackson is quickly becoming an X factor for this team, positively impacting the game in all facets. Like I said earlier, it feels like he's turned a corner... he has all of the tools to become an impact player and we're starting to see that happen.

Last edited:

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
As long as Bouknight, Cole and Martin are in the rotation, I'm not really worried about Jackson's scoring ability until his sophomore year. Obviously there's a lot of work to do there.

But boy, he is an absolute weapon on defense for us right now. He's going to be a special player. Like you said, our ability to just throw Jackson on the opposing team's top guard/wing is so huge. And he contributes well to our rotations on offense. Great vision, feel and passing ability.

444JR

The Brand is Strong
Reaction Score
He’s an Andre Iguodala type player for us right now and I’m loving it. Hopefully he can put in the work to make a superstar jump this summer. Has all the potential to be a high lottery pick.

It’s really good to see us getting talent that we can develop into lottery picks in the program again. Bouknight this year. Still have Jackson and Akok. Hawkins coming in next year. There’s a lot to be excited about.

I do wish Javonte Brown stayed. You don’t find many 7’s that can move like him. Great to see we have a coach who can find those diamonds in the rough.
Samson's got 1st round potential as well!

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I loved how pissed he got when he was unable to block the dunk and got called for a foul, he took it personally. Impressed by the defensive intensity. Once he improves on moving those feet, he will be a lock-down defender. (Not far off I'd say) Minutes are really helping him.

He was pissed because he did block the dunk, cleanly. All ball. No body contact either. I think it's one of those things with athletes like him, who haven't yet built a reputation, that the refs don't really think he can do what he just did.

I expected Jackson to be a key piece once he was able to come back. We so badly needed a guy who can be disruptive on defense at the perimeter, in the press and around the rim. His court vision and passing really help even more now that we've found some additional scorers in Sanogo and Martin. I think his outside shot even looks good. Want him to keep taking them. If they have to come out hard on him (and they will with his length) he will blow by people and be a matchup nightmare.

Reaction Score
While Bouknight will get most of the attention (rightfully so), Jackson has played really well since his own return from injury and it feels like he's turned a corner.

Early in the year, Jackson struggled to find his role, pressing a bit too much as he adjusted to the college game. He struggled to find minutes before his injury. But now, he does so many things that help the team, it's hard to keep him off the floor.

Defensively, he's quickly become our best perimeter defender. He locked down Duke tonight. His length and athleticism is a real problem for opposing guards. He's quick and savvy to deny his man the ball altogether. He's not afraid to mix it up in the lane either... he's had a few uber-athletic blocks and skied for some rebounds among the bigs.

Offensively, he keeps the ball moving and gives our offense a nice flow. His solid ballhandling has really been a help, especially when Bouknight was out. We're starting to see his elite court vision and passing that was highly-touted coming out of HS. He made some great skip passes against Xavier that resulted in open looks.

Jackson's high IQ, court vision, and athletism allow him to shine in transition. His pass ahead to Whaley tonight was sublime.

Overall, Jackson is quickly becoming an X factor for this team, positively impacting the game in all facets. Like I said earlier, it feels like he's turned a corner... he has all of the tools to become an impact player and we're starting to see that happen.
Would like to see Jackson shoot more. He passed up several good looks last evening. Loved the way Bouknight squares his body before shooting.

Reaction Score
Would like to see Jackson shoot more. He passed up several good looks last evening. Loved the way Bouknight squares his body before shooting.

He's shooting 15% on the season and his shot is hot garbage structurally. Our team is better off if he isn't shooting the ball more than on the widest of wide open shots right now.

Reaction Score
He's shooting 15% on the season and his shot is hot garbage structurally. Our team is better off if he isn't shooting the ball more than on the widest of wide open shots right now.

It's crazy how much he impacts the game when he's not even a threat to shoot the ball unless there's no one within 20 feet of him. I don't think I've ever even seen video of him pulling up to shoot a jumper.

Reaction Score
Jackson is very coachable-he listens to the coach and does what is asked of him. He's being asked to leverage his excellent floor game/vision as well as accepting the challenge of taking on the team's best wing players (the last two games).

It allows Bouk/Martin the opportunity to save themselves for offense instead of overextending themselves on D all the time.

As for the form on his jumper--The ball keeps going in so let him work on form after practice and next summer. He's a scorer not a shooter.

Reaction Score
To be fair I could count on 2 hands the number of shots he’s had to hoist with <3 secs left on the shot clock because they pass it to him in the corner. Also not a lot of attempts. I would like to see us run more screen actions through him. He’s gonna need a jumper though so people don’t just cheat under, so I am more than happy with him taking open shots.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
May make the best entry passes on the team

That one entry pass he made to either Sanogo or Whaley (can't remember which) when they were being fronted, and Andre threaded the needle and put the ball low and away from the defender was beautiful. It didn't lead to points directly because the defender had to foul on the floor to avoid an easy layup, but it was beautiful.

Reaction Score
He and Martin could swap off the high post on occasion with possibility of a quick step drive to the hoop. He is young and helps in many ways. Haven't really seen many of his open shots as he shoots so little.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
He's where I thought Gaffney would be.

Still think Gaffney is/will be a valuable piece, but will take some more time.
Agreed. Tools are there; just needs more confidence and experience. These young guys are really talented and they have good attitudes. All of them showing up last summer was great and really showed me something. Every game they are like WOW. Sometimes they are off like Sanogo last night but overall they are guys who want to play and win and are not afraid to leave it on the floor. What a great refreshing change after the previous year droughts.

Marat

The Champ Is Here.
Reaction Score
Id prefer to see him attack the basket. Hes got decent handle and hes explosive, he should be looking to get past his defender and attack the rim looking for contact.

Exactly. He's got to attack more, and try to score or pass.

I'm just waiting to see him dribble around a guy and explode over another defender for a dunk.

Reaction Score
He's a player right now who doesn't have to score to impact the game in a huge way, reminds me of the impact Camby had on games in the NBA. The next step will be putting it on the floor and driving in the paint for finishes which I know he can do.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

I'm just waiting to see him dribble around a guy and explode over another defender for a dunk.
He should be taking more layups than 3s at this point. He looks good and can hang and finish the few times he decides to attack.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Id prefer to see him attack the basket. Hes got decent handle and hes explosive, he should be looking to get past his defender and attack the rim looking for contact.

His ability to attack goes up dramatically if they aren't sagging off of him when he catches the ball outside (which is all the time). You can see him hesitate, thinking if he should shoot because he's wide open and they aren't closing on him. Against Xavier he did, hit a couple and they had to come out on him. That opens up the options to attack and either pass or score.

So while I agree that's the best part of his offensive game right now, everybody knows it and they defend against it. So I don't want Andre to become Vital, but he needs to take that shot when he's left wide open. His form looks fine to me, nice high arc.

Reaction Score

you could kind of see him looking to get into the paint a bit last night. He seems like he's still tentative driving and on the few opportunities he had he looked like he was about to go for it, hesitated, and then passed it out.

one of these days he's just going to drive hard into the paint, put someone on a poster, and then the switch is going to flip

Reaction Score
you could kind of see him looking to get into the paint a bit last night. He seems like he's still tentative driving and on the few opportunities he had he looked like he was about to go for it, hesitated, and then passed it out.

one of these days he's just going to drive hard into the paint, put someone on a poster, and then the switch is going to flip
DH has to give him a green light. He's listening to his coach right now and not acting on his natural instinct to attack.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
The fact is we don’t need him to score right now. We need him to do exactly what he’s been doing since he’s been back, pass ( and dear lord he’s gifted) , rebound, run and facilitate (or finish ) in open floor play, and defend ( and he made Dukes life last night a living hell) great disruptive defender already who will only get better in a hurry)

he is a huge contributor in those areas already, and they are all vital. The rest will come, we’ve got guys to put it in the hoop if AJ does the above we are in good shape.

Griggs

Yale Bowl portal 8
Reaction Score

Would like to see him develop a midrange game. So far it's either a 3 or a dunk

Reaction Score
His ability to attack goes up dramatically if they aren't sagging off of him when he catches the ball outside (which is all the time). You can see him hesitate, thinking if he should shoot because he's wide open and they aren't closing on him. Against Xavier he did, hit a couple and they had to come out on him. That opens up the options to attack and either pass or score.

So while I agree that's the best part of his offensive game right now, everybody knows it and they defend against it. So I don't want Andre to become Vital, but he needs to take that shot when he's left wide open. His form looks fine to me, nice high arc.
Completely agree but there are times the drive is there as hes not guarded perfectly all the time he could also use picks better. When he gets these opportunities he should do so.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
I loved how pissed he got when he was unable to block the dunk and got called for a foul, he took it personally. Impressed by the defensive intensity. Once he improves on moving those feet, he will be a lock-down defender. (Not far off I'd say) Minutes are really helping him.
That block was clean.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
It's crazy how much he impacts the game when he's not even a threat to shoot the ball unless there's no one within 20 feet of him. I don't think I've ever even seen video of him pulling up to shoot a jumper.
Good point. As in your basic pull-up jumper. If he gets that, he will be filthy with his power to jump and hang in the mid-range and get off a high percentage shot.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom