Andre Dixon | The Boneyard

Andre Dixon

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I am not having a very productive day today in the office and have been streaming the Oct 27, 2007 USF/UCONN game when USF was ranked 10 and UCONN ranked 23. Dixon is all over the place, running with power and speed, catching the ball out of back field. He was so hard to take down. I know it is hard to make it to the next level, but I liked him more than DB. I just don't understand how he never made it onto a NFL roster.

Reaction Score
loved all the screens we use to run with him. Seems like at least once or twice a game a screen would break for 20 plus yards. Would love to see more screens this season with all the speed Newsome has.

Reaction Score
The difference between making an NFL roster and being just outside is very thin. Marginal NFL guys also need a little luck. Dre was very close.

Reaction Score
AD is one of my top 5 all time favorite UCONN players but he was not as explosive as Donald Brown. Ran with power, blocked well and caught the ball well, was fast enough once he got going, he was a complete back but at his size he wasn't going to make it at the next level without that stop and go burst. Donald Brown, Terry Caulley (before the injury) and Jordan Todman were the types of backs who were running at full speed within 2 to 3 steps.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
In the NFL, everyone is strong and fast. In college, you only need a few guys like that and you can exploit shorthanded defenses. It's a team sport, weakest link...etc.

Brown ran people over in college and was a physical freak. In the NFL, he was just another marginal back.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
loved all the screens we use to run with him. Seems like at least once or twice a game a screen would break for 20 plus yards. Would love to see more screens this season with all the speed Newsome has.

MORE screens?!?! Were we watching the same games? I remember Verducci running about six bubble screens to the same side of the field, all to Newsome, in like one half of a football game. I like the screens too, but towards the end of the season we were beyond predictable with passing to Newsome on the bubble screen. He was getting lit up and we were getting nowhere with it

Reaction Score
I remember Verducci running about six bubble screens
My two least favorite plays in football are the bubble screen and the fade pass into the back corner of the end zone. Screens over the middle and high throws to tall tight ends who turn around and leap in the end zone are more to my liking.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
My two least favorite plays in football are the bubble screen and the fade pass into the back corner of the end zone. Screens over the middle and high throws to tall tight ends who turn around and leap in the end zone are more to my liking.

Especially with a team like ours. Myers and Bloom are two big, capable tight ends, and it seemed like it took the OC quite a while before he utilized them over the middle regularly. The fade pass into the back corner is a great play if you've got a premier QB who can place the ball perfectly, but we've rarely, if ever, had that. Like you said, we're at our best when we stretch the field over the middle.

Reaction Score
MORE screens?!?! Were we watching the same games? I remember Verducci running about six bubble screens to the same side of the field, all to Newsome, in like one half of a football game. I like the screens too, but towards the end of the season we were beyond predictable with passing to Newsome on the bubble screen. He was getting lit up and we were getting nowhere with it

agree with you... hate the bubble screen. Remember most of AD's screens being of the more traditional type and often being successful. Let the big boys get out in front, death to the bubble screen!

sdhusky

1972,73 & 98 Boneyard Poster of the Year
Reaction Score
I am not having a very productive day today in the office and have been streaming the Oct 27, 2007 USF/UCONN game when USF was ranked 10 and UCONN ranked 23. Dixon is all over the place, running with power and speed, catching the ball out of back field. He was so hard to take down. I know it is hard to make it to the next level, but I liked him more than DB. I just don't understand how he never made it onto a NFL roster.

One talent that I thought he had was game/field awareness. He seemed to know exactly where the first down marker was and making a decision to get the first down instead gambling to get a few more yards.

Tomlinson had an issue with that his first year with the chargers. He was trying to get a long run every time instead of the easy first down. He made a massive improvement in year 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom