Andra Espinoza-Hunter future at UCONN & comparison to Saniya Chong | The Boneyard

Andra Espinoza-Hunter future at UCONN & comparison to Saniya Chong

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Knowing and understanding that all UCONN is losing from this year's team is Saniya Chong and Tierney Lawlor, and knowing that Batouly Camara and Azura Stevens will both be eligible along with incoming freshman Mikayla Coombs, Megan Walker, Lexi Gordon, and then Charli Collier for 2018, (and knowing that Molly Bent and Kayla Irwin minutes should increase) do you suspect that Andra Espinoza-Hunter start at UCONN 'might' possibly mirror that of her former Ossining HS teammate (and current UCONN Senior) Saniya Chong, as it relates to getting minutes on the floor, especially early in her UCONN career?

Reaction Score
Remember, Saniya's High School Career at Ossinng High School was one filled with 40 to 50 point games and a New York State Player of the Year Award (the year after Brianna Stewart captured the same award while at Cicero North Syracuse HS). One could suspect that Epinoza-Hunter could get the same award this season, while playing at Ossining. The comparisons are there. Will Andra take some time to develop into Geno's program, as Saniya had to do, or will she step up immediately?

cferraro04

Sensei
Reaction Score
Espinosa-Hunter is a different player from Saniya Chong. Espinosa-Hunter will be playing with a different cast of players than Chong. Of course it will be difficult no let me correct that...impossible...for freshman Espinosa- Hunter to break into the starting line-up. I think it is going to be tough for Meghan Walker to break into the starting line-up. However, think about how talented the 2nd five are going to be...there will be little drop off...UConn will once again be an offensive juggernaut. Starting five: 5. Azura Stevens 4. Gabby Williams 3. Napheesa Collier 2. Katie-Lou Samuelson 1. Kia Nurse. Next Five: 5. Natalie Butler 4. Batouly Camara / Kyra Irving 3. Meghan Walker 2. Lexi Gordon / Andre Espinosa-Hunter 1. Crystal Dangerfield / Michala Combs / Molly Bent

14 players... Geno's team will very deep; They will be able to press other teams with fresh bodies the entire game and will challenge the season's record for least points scored by opponents. They will probably average in the 90's possibly breaking the season's scoring average yet again. I don't see the starters playing more than 22 to 23 minutes per game...except in the 3-4 games of magnitude where they will play low 30's. Next season will in my opinion have a lot of folks saying UConn is bad for the game... I think it will be an undefeated season.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Nothing in the last 4 years has caused me more discomfort as a fan than Saniya's progress, or lack thereof. Gifted, yet held back by her own demons. Right now I'm very happy to see her enjoying a role as a vital part of this team. I suspect AEH will enjoy more success as a Husky, in part because of her 2 years away from Ossining.

Reaction Score
Knowing and understanding that all UCONN is losing from this year's team is Saniya Chong and Tierney Lawlor, and knowing that Batouly Camara and Azura Stevens will both be eligible along with incoming freshman Mikayla Coombs, Megan Walker, Lexi Gordon, and then Charli Collier for 2018, (and knowing that Molly Bent and Kayla Irwin minutes should increase) do you suspect that Andra Espinoza-Hunter start at UCONN 'might' possibly mirror that of her former Ossining HS teammate (and current UCONN Senior) Saniya Chong, as it relates to getting minutes on the floor, especially early in her UCONN career?

Andra EH is a fully separate and distinct person than Saniya Chong--circumstances are a bit different--and yet a bit the same. Chong joined a team with 3 superstars and a couple of highly touted Freshmen--Chongs personality is not the same as Andra EH (even if the were sisters). To compare them is apples and iron ingots.
Also, to compare Andra EH to anyone on the current team is, at this time in history, unfair to all concerned. The fair thing to do is to await one year after Andra has been with Uconn then make an assessment.
The belief that any player on any team --just by having been a teammate--could "mirror' the other player ---well!!

Reaction Score
Nothing in the last 4 years has caused me more discomfort as a fan than Saniya's progress, or lack thereof. Gifted, yet held back by her own demons. Right now I'm very happy to see her enjoying a role as a vital part of this team. I suspect AEH will enjoy more success as a Husky, in part because of her 2 years away from Ossining.
\Doesn't this thread --give you a twinge??

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In truth we don't know how this will all shake out. When Kia Nurse arrived who thought she'd supplant such a highly touted Chong so quickly in the lineup? When Dolson arrived who thought she'd turn into such an anchor for that team. The history of such surprises goes all the way back to Geno's beginnings at UConn. Who knows if injuries or "little girl lost" syndrome takes hold of some of these young ladies. Everyone expects Crystal Dangerfield ultimately to be the PG heir, but what is Coombs or even AEH comes in next year and looks like a world beater? I say, let the chips fall where they may. One thing I do know. This year, not next, is here now. And man! What a ride!

Last edited:

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
I am very surprised that no one has mentioned DEFENSE in this thread, or in most of the others that engage in hand-wringing about how Geno will allocate next year's minutes among 14 players. That was why Saniya lost her starter status, and how Kia gained and retained it. And that will probably be the determining factor governing how many minutes each of the six new players gets next year.

I wouldn't be surprised if Geno announces that on the first day of practice in October 2017. "We know you can all score; that's old news. But to play defense at a UConn level for a whole game (never mind a whole season) requires a level of fitness, effort, and communication that none of you has even been asked to demonstrate -- but now you will have your chance."

And that will apply to Megan Walker as much as anyone else.

Reaction Score
I am very surprised that no one has mentioned DEFENSE in this thread, or in most of the others that engage in hand-wringing about how Geno will allocate next year's minutes among 14 players. That was why Saniya lost her starter status, and how Kia gained and retained it. And that will probably be the determining factor governing how many minutes each of the six new players gets next year

And that will apply to Megan Walker as much as anyone else.

Having watched Walker for two years now, I have a feeling she will fit into Geno's plans much more quickly then your "average" freshman............she plays with a level of maturity and has a basketball IQ that many players never attain..........when you combine that with her great physical skills you have a complete player who should contribute from day one.................

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
Having watched Walker for two years now, I have a feeling she will fit into Geno's plans much more quickly then your "average" freshman..she plays with a level of maturity and has a basketball IQ that many players never attain.....when you combine that with her great physical skills you have a complete player who should contribute from day one.......
Meg is anything but an average freshman, even by UConn standards, but I don't see her starting next year. I do think, though, that she'll score 10+ppg.

Reaction Score
How good is Andra's defense? Starting or coming off the bench, a player must make positive contributions when on the floor. You earn playing time by showing it in practice and gaining the trust of your teammates and the coach. It took Gabby until her junior year to start, but she has always made positive contributions when on the floor.

There are many paths to success at UConn. Saniya's path is one way. After all, there is nothing wrong following in SC's footsteps. You win 135+ games and lose once, win 3 championships, contribute in multiple ways to the current championship run, make good friends, get a degree and put a smile on thousands of fans across the country. That is one path, there are others. All you need is the right attitude, some patience and some good skills.

T

TroyHouse66

JoeP-
(Paraphrasing Il Maestro)
"We know you can all score; that's old news. But to play defense at a UConn level ... now you will have your chance."

Geno is sometimes called a Magician & credited as being able to see things others do not.
To an extent... both are true.
Magicians succeed by mis-directing your attention. Geno guides his "guys" to focus what most others do not see.
While most all the basketball world focuses on "points-put-up"... ("She scored 50 points per game at x high school in y league") Il Maestro teaches them to see how "keeping-points-off" the scoreboard & converting defensive stops into UConn freelunch is Basketball's unseen/uncredited formula for success.

Reaction Score
One has to give Saniya Chong all the credit in the world for being the true "TEAM PLAYER" that she has been over her 4 year career at UCONN. She has listened to Geno and the UCONN Coaching Staff and has worked very hard on her game (especially her defense) to become the very best player that she could be (despite all of the injuries and setbacks). Now, as a Senior and a Leader on this team, she is proving all of those "Boneyard Nay-Sayers" wrong, and has placed them all back into hiding. It would be amazing for her to leave her UCONN career, having captured 4 straight National Championships, while also be part of setting the all time record for consecutive wins. GO SANIYA !!!

Reaction Score
I will go out on a limb and speculate to the contrary that Molly in particular will get generous minutes in most AAC games as she did against Nebraska, and as a result of that Geno will come to trust her with meaningful minutes in NCAA tournament games. She will do well there also, and will be in the mix next year despite all the new talent coming in.

Bent played a lot of minutes against Nebraska because of the injury to Chong. Dangerfield was struggling and Bent was the only other guard available off the bench besides TL. Coach Auriemma shortens his bench in the tournament and that is the reason why Bent will only see meaningful minutes if she is forced into action by foul trouble or injury.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
Bent played a lot of minutes against Nebraska because of the injury to Chong. Dangerfield was struggling and Bent was the only other guard available off the bench besides TL. Coach Auriemma shortens his bench in the tournament and that is the reason why Bent will only see meaningful minutes if she is forced into action by foul trouble or injury.
You do not know how much Bent will have improved by the end of the conference season. She could be a big part of the rotation by then. No one knows that. Earlier, many thought Dangerfield would be starting before Chong by now. Bent is smart, talented and tough. She just has to learn and be comfortable with the system, imo.

Reaction Score
You do not know how much Bent will have improved by the end of the conference season. She could be a big part of the rotation by then. No one knows that. Earlier, many thought Dangerfield would be starting before Chong by now. Bent is smart, talented and tough. She just has to learn and be comfortable with the system, imo.

I'll be surprised and concerned if all three freshmen don't get extended minutes during conference play.........the starters could use a rest and every minute they aren't on the court will be a blessing come tournament time..............

Reaction Score

That depends on three things. First and foremost, AEH has to bust her behind in practice and show Geno she earn her minutes. Two, if and when she's on the court she better play D and if she has the shot, take it. Three, have good health.

Reaction Score

Just because what "many thought" about about Chong vs Danger doesn't mean that Bent will get in the rotation. Secondly, no one knows how much Danger, Chong and Butler will improve over the season vs if Bent is good enough to be a rotation player. My money would be on Bent not in the rotation unless their is an injury or Butler, Danger or Chong falter.

If the 3 aforementioned don't falter and no injuries, I doubt Bent will be in the rotation. I will add though it is possible because during the AAC Tourney they are playing many night consecutive. ANd during the NCAA's I don't know the "wear-and-tear" of playing the game on the other day off.

This year it will be interesting to see how Geno handles it. A lot would depend on the AAC Tourney how/ to what extent we are blowing several teams out.

Reaction Score

Listen, I am not going to bash the kid and point every flaw she has in her game, but believe me Bent will not see meaningful minutes in the tournament unless she is forced to play because of injury or fouls.

Reaction Score
Listen, I am not going to bash the kid and point every flaw she has in her game, but believe me Bent will not see meaningful minutes in the tournament unless she is forced to play because of injury or fouls.

I haven't seen enough of her and she hasn't seen enough playing time to make any concrete assessments about her game.........it ain't easy playing sporadically and asking a freshman to just check into the game and expect perfection is not really fair............hopefully she will get more consistent minutes and can show us what she's really about as a player over the next 8 weeks.............

Reaction Score
No way to compare the two. These two women are like night and day. AEH is much for animated on the court and seems to enjoy the spot light. Saniya on the other hand seems to shun attention and has always played and emotionless game for the most part, AEH is a very different personality.
Would love to see her get significant minutes next season but only time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom