And this is why you don't schedule Wagner. | The Boneyard

And this is why you don't schedule Wagner.

Status
Not open for further replies.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
If we are going to lose to a cupcake, at least schedule Ivy League schools like Yale, Harvard, or Princeton. Wagner and N. Florida were two schools that are lose-lose situations.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Victim.of the RPI.
Play dogs and it doesn't help at all. This could have been a decent win except we don't do things like dominate mid majors anymore.

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
We could have lost to anyone tonight
My point. At least schedule a top 150 RPI team from the Ivy League instead of a team from the worst conference (NEC) in D1.

Reaction Score
Wagner was not a cupcake. Not saying they are a great team, but they are not a cupcake. I'm glad we scheduled them.

I hate season after season of fools gold with a diet of cupcakes, only to find out later we have a lot more work to do. Unlike previous seasons this was revealed on day one.

Reaction Score
It's a wake up call is all. UConn still has superior talent and if they actually start playing some D and rebound once in a while they will be just fine. Purvis sucked plain and simple. This loss might be a blessing in disguise.

Reaction Score
My point. At least schedule a top 150 RPI team from the Ivy League instead of a team from the worst conference (NEC) in D1.

Shizzle please stop. They sucked tonight period. If the cant get up for an opening night game. If a 5th year Sr, McDonalds All American can't get up for a opening night game. If Facey, who finally has his chance, if Brimah wants to play at next level.

Reaction Score
Everyone has teams of this caliber somewhere on their schedule. I don't understand where this idea comes from that UConn is the only team that plays some 200+ teams.

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
It's one game, but having bad games and losing to bad teams and those WTF? losses are becoming more commonplace around here.

Reaction Score
I hate to break it to UConn Nation but Wagner was certainly the best team on the court last night. The Northeast Conference is not the worst conference in the country. There are solid, athletic teams that compete in the NEC. Every once in a while when one of these signature Ws occurs for a smaller school there's always shock and disbelief by people who only follow the major conferences. However, for those of us who follow mid-major basketball, it's not all that surprising. The game and the playing field have changed.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
There is a really solid chance Wagner goes like 22-5 and has a top 100ish RPI. Not saying we shouldn't have won, we didn't deserve to. But Wagner can be like Monmouth last year.

Reaction Score
There is a really solid chance Wagner goes like 22-5 and has a top 100ish RPI. Not saying we shouldn't have won, we didn't deserve to. But Wagner can be like Monmouth last year.

CTBasketball, you are 100% correct about Wagner having a legit chance to win 22 games...maybe more. (IMO, they still wouldn't crack the top 100, though.) The NEC has been down a little, but this year the conference should be very solid.
UConn will be fine. You guys will continue to improve as the season progresses and will probably contend for another conference title. My point was simply that to dismiss the Wagner game as an embarrassing fluke (as some people here have done) is unfair to the good basketball being played at the mid-major level these days.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
CTBasketball, you are 100% correct about Wagner having a legit chance to win 22 games...maybe more. (IMO, they still wouldn't crack the top 100, though.) The NEC has been down a little, but this year the conference should be very solid.
UConn will be fine. You guys will continue to improve as the season progresses and will probably contend for another conference title. My point was simply that to dismiss the Wagner game as an embarrassing fluke (as some people here have done) is unfair to the good basketball being played at the mid-major level these days.
People tend to watch nothing but UConn basketball and CNN here. I watched in person CCSU get blown out by Wagner last February - you can tell a good team when you see one. I honestly thought we would come out and handle them though.

GetFile.aspx

Reaction Score
Uh, scheduling Wagner is great. These are the types of teams you need to schedule when you play in the AAC.

You just need to beat them. And we should have. It's on the team and coaches, not the scheduling.

Reaction Score
^the point is, wagner is a very good(relatively) team that plays in a terrible conference, so they are likely to hurt our RPI either way. not the midmajor you want to schedule, although RPI seems like it is being devalued so its not a huge deal

4in16

uses the force
Reaction Score
^the point is, wagner is a very good(relatively) team that plays in a terrible conference, so they are likely to hurt our RPI either way. not the midmajor you want to schedule, although RPI seems like it is being devalued so its not a huge deal
They are not going to hurt RPI as badly as a 200+ team would, its ridiculously early but I could see them being in the 100-200 range. We've had worse losses the past couple of seasons just in conference.

Reaction Score

Teams with a lot of wins helps the RPI the most, the quality of those wins isn't as important that far down the chain (Wagner 66% win% weighted equally to win% of all of their opponents combined). Their RPI was 170 last year (but that doesn't actually matter, just that they won 2/3 of their games) and might be better this year. Whether that's good enough vs. our expected chance to win the game is the important part, obviously, but I think it was.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixiedog

Top Bottom