And the SEC is the place to be... | The Boneyard

And the SEC is the place to be...

Reaction Score
Nick Saban reports on the next Bama QB's success in the newly legalized endorsement realm. Touting the Bama brand only makes the SEC more the place to be.

Nick Saban says Alabama quarterback Bryce Young already earning nearly $1 million in endorsement deals​

Saban cautioned that the new policy to pay college athletes could create unequal opportunities​

• By Paulina Dedaj

Alabama standout Bryce Young has been making headlines even before starting in his first college football game, but head coach Nick Saban said he’s already earning nearly $1 million in endorsement deals.
    Saban said at the Texas High School Coaches Association's annual convention on Tuesday that the sophomore quarterback is already earning "ungodly numbers" thanks to the new NIL policy.
    AP21202519737600.jpg

Alabama head coach Nick Saban speaks to reporters during the NCAA college football Southeastern Conference Media Days Wednesday, July 21, 2021, in Hoover, Ala. (AP Photo/Butch Dill) (AP Newsroom)

"Certain positions, probably, enhance opportunities to create value, like quarterback, and our quarterback (Young) already has approached ungodly numbers — I'm not going to say what they are — and he hasn't even played yet. Hasn't even started," Saban said, via The Athletic.
    "... It’s almost seven figures. And it's like, the guy hasn't even played yet. But that's because of our brand," he added.

Saban went on to say that while college football has always been "equal," the new policy which allows student-athletes to profit off their name, image and likeness will change that drastically.
    "You have to understand that everybody has a different amount of opportunity, relative to what's going to happen here," Saban said. "Everything in college football, everything in high school football has always been equal for everyone. It's not gonna be that way anymore."

Young has not been named starter for the Crimson Tide yet. Last year he served as backup to New England Patriots rookie Mac Jones. In nine appearances, Young totaled 156 passing yards and one touchdown.
    Former Alabama quarterback Greg McElroy, who led his team to the 2009 SEC Championship Game undefeated, raved about Young ahead SEC media day, calling him "a stud."

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
Let me summarize the new college athletics world we live in-- an Alabama QB who has yet to start a single game is now making more money than UConn is currently paying it's head football coach.

Reaction Score
I think we're about to see a ton of such distortions. Some of the players could end up making more than say an assistant coach.

Reaction Score
Way more people are interested and invested in Bama's QB's than they are in UConn's HC.
Maybe Edsall should score first more often and have a defense that gets more sacks than the other teams. Those incentives can add up quickly.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I think we're about to see a ton of such distortions. Some of the players could end up making more than say an assistant coach.
The real distortion is assistant coaches making $2M.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

You realize that is the case in every sport where players are allowed to be paid, don't you?

Reaction Score
You realize that is the case in every sport where players are allowed to be paid, don't you?
Really? Can you give some examples of college kids earning more than their assistant coaches because I can't think of any.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Let me summarize the new college athletics world we live in-- an Alabama QB who has yet to start a single game is now making more money than UConn is currently paying it's head football coach.

What will the second and third string QB at Alabama get? The NCAA better buy some bandwidth for the Transfer Portal because kids are going to be jumping for playing time. In the old days, Alabama boosters could provide enough envelopes with cash to the backups to get them to hold tight and a lot of the schools weren't cheating so there was no where to go anyway.

Now? Transfer to USF and start there and make a couple of hundy grand rather than sit on Saban's bench. Heck, you are going to see starters leave because they are not getting the ball enough. Saban has not even scratched the surface of what this means to college athletics.

Reaction Score
And how long will it be for some of the lineman on these teams to realize they do all the work while the QB gets paid. At least in the pro's they make a good living.
The disparity in college is going to be a problem.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
And how long will it be for some of the lineman on these teams to realize they do all the work while the QB gets paid. At least in the pro's they make a good living.
The disparity in college is going to be a problem.

I suspect this problem will get resolved by a few "missed" blocks resulting in QB's getting sandwiched between 300 pound defensive linemen.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Really? Can you give some examples of college kids earning more than their assistant coaches because I can't think of any.

Nice moving goal posts.

I said in every sport where athletes are paid, players make more than assistants.
Being that college just started to allow players to legally be paid, you won't find many examples yet.

Give it a few months and there will beany athletes in many sports in college making more than the assistant coaches on that team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom